Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + Arturia Beat Step Pro - A Good Match
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Kronos + Arturia Beat Step Pro - A Good Match Reply with quote

Got my Beat Step pro tonight and have been playing with it since.

It works out quite good, if you are wondering to purchase it.

Here are Few things to note:

Cons:
1: IT does not record Midi Automation (knob movements in its own sequences)
2: you need to use it's computer Software at times to make changes like your drum map or other

3: No chord mode (though you can cheat)
4:Not as extensive as some other H/W sequencers (like the Origin , but you get what you pay for)
5:No undo, but you can revert to last saved state (pattern or project).

Pros (for kronos users):
1: Seems to work quite good with kronos and adds to some missing functaionality
2: 2 independent Melodic Sequencers (upto 64 steps with velocity and gate control).
3: Melodic Sequencers can Transpose (relative like kronos)
4: 16 part Drum sequencer (Create The Korg Drum Map in Software)
5: Good Random/probability function (along with swing) to add a bit of humanization if you need it.
6: Has a Control Surface mode (16 knobs,16 pads + 16 buttons) (no sysex though)
7: Upto 16 patterns for each Sequencer (3) per Project (total 16 project memory at any given time).
8: Synced nicely with Kronos (Kronas as slave)
9: Independent Realtime pattern chaining: You can program/sequence the patterns to play in your desired order like 1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 (for each sequencer). Makes it easy to come up with a drum/bass track and then record into kronos
10: Very easy to program/operate, once you get hang it.
11: Wait mode: It can wait for the current pattern to finish and then switch to next pattern. (I enabled in software)
12: Solidly Built (plastic though)
13: Some Nice extra timing options along with forward and reverse per pattern
14: Came with all cables (patching cables too)
15: I love it. Smile
16: Works Standalone mode.
17: Good Control over drum parameters (step velocity editing, one of my main reasons)
18: Fits nicely and snugly on my tablet/ipad stands for a inclined angle
19: https://www.arturia.com/beatstep-pro/overview

20: My Reason for buying: Quicker workflow and drum building. Crating quick melodic elements, wave sequences and drum velocity editing (I find hard to work with hats etc in kronos sequencer)
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of music ?

Not jazz, I suspect Cool
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, It should play whatever you can program it to (within its limits), sure the auto quantization might come as a hindrance, but it does have the editable step shift parameter for drums timing.

I don't play any particular style (though rock, metal and blues is what I play on guitar ), on keys I play whatever comes to mind be it ambient, electronic, downtempo, edm or I dunno what Smile.mostly it's real-time and improvisational stuff, which I hardly ever record.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that it's a midi controller/sequencer only, it does not make any sounds of its own.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Forgot to mention that it's a midi controller/sequencer only, it does not make any sounds of its own.

for $249 it is comprehensive. It looks like an EDM piece.

I don't believe it can fit on the surface of an 88
Burydudexxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great to see a youtube vid of this in action with the Kronos - Am I being too cheeky Amit ?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Not sure if it'll fit kronos 88.
its about the same length as a mac keyboard but a little deeper.
attaching brackets behind the kronos (back screws) would definitely work though.

Here is Pic of it's relative size on my setup.
Its placed on 2x tablet stands.

[img]http://www.dropbox.com/s/y1iwj4w1wf3heig/IMG_20160821_193219668_rz.jpg?dl=0&raw=1
[/img]

http://www.dropbox.com/s/y1iwj4w1wf3heig/IMG_20160821_193219668_rz.jpg?dl=0

I agree most of its demos are aimed at EDM as that is market where they are trying to cash in as well as people with mini analogs like volcas etc.

but it's good (and serious tool) for any genre that can make use of it (step sequencerc or pattern sequencer).

I can't stress enough that how easy it makes making of own drum grooves and parts/fills etc.
once you are done on it.

Jut hit record on kronos sequencer and play button on it and the entire track is ready on kronos. No more copy and pasting or event editing in kronos sequencer for me. The knobs can adjust velocities for steps like hihats giving it a life of it's own. can time shift steps for more off time feel.

No need to fire up DAW and edit with mouse/trackball into piano roll (btw its software comes with its own piano roll editor and sequence editor) for me the quick hands on feeling it gives beats anything. Can do in a Couple of Minutes I would have spent hours. Smile

The Melodic sequencers can be used to trigger some different drum hits too, or for programming more of progressive rock synth lines like alan parsons / pink floyd/ tangerine dream etc.
I took me less than a minute to program the APP tubular bells repeating pattern (The Exorcist Theme).

Excellent tool to build some quick riffs. I have another midi keyboard connnected to it's input, and kronos on it's output.

It's my second day with it only and am still excited about it .Smile
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burydudexxx wrote:
Would be great to see a youtube vid of this in action with the Kronos - Am I being too cheeky Amit ?

Hi burydudexxx,
am currently in honeymoon period with it Wink

I might make some video once I am better at it.
however there are already ton's of youtube videos about this.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22beatstep+pro%22

To me the most important thing was the tools it provides
Sure you can do most in kronos like with RPPR etc, but that takes time to setup and by the time I am ready the inspiration/idea goes down the drain.

With it the Kronos just acts as the Sound engine,

so in program mode you could use it's drum sequencer (to channel 10) and other melodic sequencers driving your program (if you want) .

In Combi and Seq mode, you could use it to drive three separate tracks ( and also karma if you want).

I have read It used to have lo of bugs when released but they have fixed them all with firmware updates along with new features.
arne v

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos + Arturia Beat Step Pro - A Good Match Reply with quote

amit wrote:

20: My Reason for buying: Quicker workflow and drum building. Crating quick melodic elements, wave sequences and drum velocity editing (I find hard to work with hats etc in kronos sequencer)

This is why i purchased the Akai MPC Touch Smile
It can sample the Kronos and the Kronos can sample it

Regards
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Hi Greg,
Not sure if it'll fit kronos 88.
its about the same length as a mac keyboard but a little deeper.
attaching brackets behind the kronos (back screws) would definitely work though.

Here is Pic of it's relative size on my setup.
Its placed on 2x tablet stands.

[img]http://www.dropbox.com/s/y1iwj4w1wf3heig/IMG_20160821_193219668_rz.jpg?dl=0&raw=1
[/img]

http://www.dropbox.com/s/y1iwj4w1wf3heig/IMG_20160821_193219668_rz.jpg?dl=0

I agree most of its demos are aimed at EDM as that is market where they are trying to cash in as well as people with mini analogs like volcas etc.

but it's good (and serious tool) for any genre that can make use of it (step sequencerc or pattern sequencer).

I can't stress enough that how easy it makes making of own drum grooves and parts/fills etc.
once you are done on it.

Jut hit record on kronos sequencer and play button on it and the entire track is ready on kronos. No more copy and pasting or event editing in kronos sequencer for me. The knobs can adjust velocities for steps like hihats giving it a life of it's own. can time shift steps for more off time feel.

No need to fire up DAW and edit with mouse/trackball into piano roll (btw its software comes with its own piano roll editor and sequence editor) for me the quick hands on feeling it gives beats anything. Can do in a Couple of Minutes I would have spent hours. Smile

The Melodic sequencers can be used to trigger some different drum hits too, or for programming more of progressive rock synth lines like alan parsons / pink floyd/ tangerine dream etc.
I took me less than a minute to program the APP tubular bells repeating pattern (The Exorcist Theme).

Excellent tool to build some quick riffs. I have another midi keyboard connnected to it's input, and kronos on it's output.

It's my second day with it only and am still excited about it .Smile

Hey Amit, your reports are excellent, appreciate the photos.

This sounds very interesting in that it should reduce the amount of time i spend on SEQ songs. Thanks !
Escapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one, too, coincidentally. Smile

For me, the MIDI-CV converter is the big bonus - it does both V/oct and Hz/V which means it can sequence my old Yamaha CS-15. And even when it's not running, it will sit there doing the MIDI-CV conversion, which would also let me sequence the CS-15 from the Kronos (and record/sample it, too, I guess).

In fact, there are so many ways it should be useful that I need to draw myself a diagram or two!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took delivery of my Beatstep Pro also yesterday. After a quick peruse of the manual, I was off to a "running" start and my studio very quickly was sounding like a 70's electronic concert Smile
I have to concur with you Amit, it makes a nice complement to the Kronos.
It's all about immediacy of the interaction that is the attraction. I don't see any duplication in the application of this device, it is a very specific tool in it's versatility, that is in no way in competition with what the Kronos can do.

Before I got my bearings with all the functions though, I found myself pushing the wrong button at the wrong time, and losing things I had setup before saving, but very quickly I got the hang of it. The nature of devices with multi modal and second function buttons, I guess.

It interfaces very nicely with Combis setup, and I'm thinking that a second Beatstep would go rather nicely, as I could lose myself in 4 parallel 64 step sequencers, with midi and gate leads draping in all directions Laughing
I guess it just brings out the analog sequencing kid in me!

In response to Greg's comment about it mounting on top of the Kronos 88? Yes it is a little long to fit on the right hand end as is, but just to try, I added some extra stick on rubber feet to the bottom of the Beatstep to raise it up high enough to clear the tempo knob. I tend not to use the program buttons or change the tempo that much anyway, so as a convenience while working with the Beatstep, I think it's a reasonable compromise.... for myself anyway. If anyone's interested, I could take a pic showing how I mounted it. Not permanently though, as I've been trying it out on different devices.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
U know what, I have been thinking of getting another too.
There are a few settings that are disabled by default, like wait for pattern to finish before switching to next, which I like On.
It's a task specific tool, but well polished now after all it's updates.
I absolutely love it for composing and playing around for sound design.
With 2-3 of these, you could use the drum seq as a polyphonic melodic seq.

Or just tie the notes for entire length and let it drive karma for a progression. Smile Using pattern chaining.

I also have a midi on/off switch between kronos midi out and it's midi in
That gives me control over what gets recorded in real time from kronos or if I want to to transpose or not to my playing.
Very handy.
Have fun!!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - how are you connecting the BSP to the Kronos? Over USB or the 5-pin MIDI DIN connector? Is there an advantage to either way other than the obvious power over USB? (E.g. differences in MIDI clock sync, etc)?
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of the Beatstep Pro connected to a Kronos is that you can use the one USB A for MIDI and to power it.
Many synths only have the common USB B (for connecting to computer), which means you have to separately power the Beatstep pro, and then use the 5 pin din connection on the synth for MIDI.

Because the Kronos has 2 USB A connectors, (also unlike many other synths), I have had 2 Beatsteps connected at the same time set to various MIDI channels in a Combi. Gives me a lot of realtime step sequencing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: