Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + Arturia Beat Step Pro - A Good Match
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Is there an advantage to either way other than the obvious power over USB? (E.g. differences in MIDI clock sync, etc)?

As far as I'm aware, the MIDI standard via USB has at least all the specs to which the DIN connector interface conforms, so no other advantage that I know of.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the MIDI standard via USB has at least all the specs to which the DIN connector interface conforms, so no other advantage that I know of.

It is mainly the clock thing I'm trying to figure out. I'd like to be able to, for example, compose some drum patterns on the BSP. Then when I have them ready, hit record on the K's sequencer, have the K SEQ and BSP start together and be tempo sync'd.

The ops guide says MIDI clock is not supported from USB MIDI devices. I was hoping it might send MIDI clock TO MIDI USB devices but that doesn't seem to work either.

If I have the BSP connected to my PC based DAW and set the BSP's clock to USB, it then follows the sequencer in my DAW. Tempo as well as sequencer start/stop/pause. If my DAW sequencer is stopped, the BSP will not step. That doesn't seem to be working the same way on the K, though it's possible I just haven't found the right config option. But right now if I set the BSP's clock to "USB" I can't make it run at all when connected to the K.

So I'm thinking for this I might need to go standard 5 pin MIDI if I want to send or receive clock?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after connecting through MIDI DIN and setting the BSP's clock to "MIDI", it behaved like it does when connecting to a PC/DAW above. The Kronos is the master clock then and it's sequencer controls BSP for play/stop/tempo. Only weird thing that I ran into is when I stopped the K's SEQ, I consistently got a hung MIDI note from the BSP. Easily enough solved by pressing STOP 3x on the BSP (all notes off). But to avoid it completely, first need to hit STOP on the BSP, and then stop the K's sequencer.

So it appears the USB A ports on the Kronos do not do MIDI clock at all.

I think I have a couple of options to have MIDI clock sync.

Option A (no computer): Power the BSP externally and use 5 pin MIDI DIN. Kronos is the master clock. Might be able to reverse this and have the BSP be the master too. Haven't tried yet.

Option B (computer): Connect the BSP to the computer DAW over USB, and connect the K's USB B to the computer too. Relay the BSP's sequence through the computer to the K. Set the K to MIDI clock USB/Auto and the BSP to USB, so that the computer DAW seqeuencer is the master clock for everything.
guarib

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escapegoat wrote:
I just ordered one, too, coincidentally. Smile

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: