Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assign User Knobs in Combination

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthterborg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Assign User Knobs in Combination Reply with quote

I am probably missing something very obvious so excuse if this is a "duh" question.
I cannot seem to be able to assign the User Knobs (5,6 7 and 8) to effect anything in a Combination.
When I go to EQ/Vector/Control > Controllers, I see the knobs and the dropdown to assign them but doing so does not seem to have any effect on the any of the Timbres in my Combi. Can someone tell me what I am missing and also if I can assign a Knob to just effect a specific timbre and not be a global application?
Thanks in advance.
tomto66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want to achieve. There are several things off the top of my head (on vacation in Greece and nowhere near my Kronos Smile ):
- you can have your combi 'inherit' from the timbres - you choose to import the effects when you load the timbre into a channel. The knobs will then behave in the combi like they do in the timbre
- other things, like filter cutoff, LFO settings etc are inherently coded in the timbres themselves. Assigning a timbre in the combi implies inheriting the controller settings.

So in short:
- some stuff is set/controlled in the underlying timbre, not in the combi
- controllers that affect the FX are set in the combi (and the settings can be copied from the underlying timbre)

Be careful - suppose you have 2 timbres, and both react to the same real-time controller, that controller will simultaneously affect both timbres. If you don't want that you can use the MIDI filter tab in the combi to filter out which timbre you want to react to which controller.

Hope that makes sens?
synthterborg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Author Message
tomto66 for stepping down from vacation to answer. So yes, I thought that when I copy an Program to a Combi and select to also bring in all IFX, MFX and TXF, it would also bring over all the existing know controls. But it doesn't.
For example, Program IE 35, Knob 1 is controlling Filter sweep (as well as the ribbon controller). When I copy that to a Combi, Knob 1 now controls the global Pan (as marked above the knob). The ribbon control does still address the filter, but I need the Knob to do it so the I can use the ribbon for pitch. When I try to assign Knob 5 to this function, or any other knob, there is no effect. They all just work per the Global settings that you see above each knob. Below the global settings are secondary functions in a light grey where Knobs 5-8 say USER. Is there something I am missing to change the knob to controll the USER function as opposed to the WHite Global functions. (Sorry for a bunch of probably incorrect terms. I hope it makes sense.)
Thanks again to any that can enlighten me.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this instead of going to "EQ/Vector/Control" tab for controller.
Go to "Control Surface tab" and that has more detailed options for you to set.
When you get into "Control Surface" tab/page, you will see side tabs on the left side of the screen instead of below. There are timbre 1-8 tab and timbre 9-16 tab as well as audio in tab. Then below that are another three tabs for external midi channeling, RT/Karma and then Tone Adjust.
I think what you will need to explore are the the options in the Side Tab for "Tone ADJ."
Tone adjust is the universal quick go-to for in-depth control set up and monitoring. The one you went to is for basic controller set up and yes its more suited for general setting over the entire combi. Kronos does allow for one control -like a knob ,to control other controls like SW1. So it can do the duty of other controls and i think a control can be assigned to more than one function to control multiple timbres in combi. I once set knob five to control SW1 and when i turned knob 5 up, SW1 would light.

I still get confused with control set ups in Combi because when i copy from program with all settings, some programs conflict for effects slots and such but Kronos automatically sorts out the jumble if i take it too far with loading timbres that make a jumble of routings. Then i have to trace what Kronos did different from what was in program mode for each timbre.

Also, look into the AMS set-up in your programs. You will have to go into program mode to see the AMS set up for the timbres. You can go to drop down menu at top right screen after selecting a timbre , and then select "edit program". Look around the various Active AMS set-ups because they could be tied into control functions that you may not want them tied into and add to confusion if you dont know what AMS is throwing into the mix.
Sorting out AMS is an added chore but its another trick in the bag that will be useful when needed.

Also saving Knob settings do not work for all settings as i found in SGX when trying to save knob 5 for a particular function. The function would assign and adjust via knob 5 but not save as a permanent assignment to the knob. That was only in SGX but this may come up in other synth engines but thats just guessing. Not all synth engines respond the same for parameters or setups. Most do though and its only a matter of finding the few peculiar ones.
IE35 is CX3 engine, i assume if you have factory file of K2 ? I don't work much with CX3 but it may have some assignment limitations like SGX does with berlin grand piano, but you will have to play with it and find out if i am wrong.

The tone adjust switch/button next to drum track button on the front panel by the vectorJS is a short cut to tone adjust page for control set up and monitoring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: