Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mimicking a Hammond B3 type organ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Mimicking a Hammond B3 type organ Reply with quote

I've never had the privilege of playing a Hammond B3 or similar, but I am enjoying playing some of the KE-type preset organs on the Kronos. I'm interested in knowing how a real B3 deals with expression and rotary.

Most of the Programme presets have the Foot Pedal set for expression (I think), with the rotary speed controlled by the Y+. How does a B3 control expression and rotary? Are they both through pedals and, if so, does it have separate pedals for each of these?

I'm struggling to find the best overall set-up for different songs - some songs work better when I have the rotary controlled by the Foot Pedal (leaving me both hands on the organ), for others I need expression on the Foot Pedal and can use the Y+. I thought if I could recreate the way a real B3 works, that's probably my best set-up.

Thanks

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to reply to your questions. I'm an 'old guy' and I have owned several Hammonds. Some B3 players use the 1/2 moon switch that is located on the left side near the lower manual. (near the reverse black & white key presets). Another option that players use is to have a foot switch installed so they can continue to play and change the rotor speed. The Joy stick on your K emulates the 1/2 moon switch on the 'ol B3.
Mersip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Falcon2e, that is helpful. It means that it's probably my technique that I need to improve rather than anything in the setup.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a trick that uses the damper pedal to changed the rotary speaker effect. I just tap the pedal and it changes from fast to slow or slow to fast. I use the faders to adjust the hammond style srawbars while I'm playing as well.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use aftertouch to change rotary speed, since my other hand is usually playing a different part...

df

Edit: Please, no organ jokes...

Last edited by dfahrner on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I use a trick that uses the damper pedal to changed the rotary speaker effect. I just tap the pedal and it changes from fast to slow or slow to fast. I use the faders to adjust the hammond style srawbars while I'm playing as well.

For me this is the best way to change rotor speeds. Just feels like you have more control of the leslie. Damper Pedal feels natural to me.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not it be nice if we could have the whole banks of sounds the VSTi Native I. organ have ! Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really are a lot of Hammond sounds you can get though.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they're not free, but check out the K-Sounds Organimation. I'm usually one to try and program myself, but these are really top shelf. I've been using a GSI Burn as my rotary in my live rig and I would totally drop it for these. The only caveat is that they use a LOT of IFX slots to get their sound (I think most of the rock ones use 9 or 10). But if that's not a concern for you, it's totally worth the $40.

http://ksounds.com/product/organimation-tonewheel-organs-kronos-format/
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up thinking my Kronos would every sound like a real B3 after hearing this. I mean, my Kronos NEVER made this startup sound and is no way near as fat as the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkhWzoVldw&ab_channel=beardbassman
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well putting a Kronos through real live overdriven Leslie is going to get you a lot closer. If you've ever tapped the output of your B3 and listened to the straight tone out of the organ, it's pretty basic. Yes there are some elements that are tougher to emulate than others, but the Leslie is a HUGE part of the sound.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
njkronos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Here's a small cut of a real Leslie hooked up to a Kronos at 3:13 of the following video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbktRBA6EVE
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that example I definitely like the Kronos better than the Nord. The Kronos is bright (easy fix), but at least 888888888 sounds like it should and is closer to the Crumar than the Nord.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real Leslie makes any old clonewheel sound better, but I have no interest in lugging one of those around ever again.

Fortunately, there is a decent substitute available, called the Neo Ventilator. (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ventilator2) I used this on my Suzuki Hammond and now I use it on the Kronos. It makes ALL the difference! Nothing else comes close to nailing the Leslie sound. 500 bucks, though.

As for switching Leslie speeds, real Hammonds often had a toggle switch mounted on the left side front of the keyboard. They call it a "half moon" switch due to its shape. Back when I played a B3 I found that method very comfortable and expressive - much more so than a footswitch, which you're often fumbling around trying to find with your foot.

BTW, thanks jeebustrain for that Organimation tip. That may be just the ticket! I've spent a lot of time tweaking the CX3 but have never duplicated the tone I'd been getting from the Hammond. I've been hovering over the Buy button for a new Hammond or Crumar Mojo, but money's tight and I like hauling one instrument to gigs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: