Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyscape New Spectrasonics software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an ideal world a Kronos workstation successor could license and deliver Keyscape (at about not much more than the price of the software package), after making a deal with Eric Persing.

We already have very(!) good libraries from Scarbee, Busch and others. But what really made me fall in love with Keyscape instantly, is that for the first time, after many years, I heard something like an instant gratification vintage keys sound simply nailing it in the presets. It finally is very much sounding, like these intruments originally sounded to me as overall hardware result played live (not just as "sample package with additional effects"). These amped Mk I Rhodes for example just kick butt for my taste, just like a lot of the rest. And the LA Dyna-Rhodes to me is simply the first ever sounding like the real deal.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I am new to VI's. I am reading that owners of Scarbee, other VI's, are impressed by Keyscape. The Keyscape instruments are what I enjoy, the legacy type instruments.

Are there other VI's I should look at ? Or would all the choices cost more than $400 ?

I am keeping the Kronos.

If I were looking for my first VI featuring quality keyboard sounds, Keyscape would probably be on top of my list because of its large variety of different instruments, and their quality.
Eric Persing has a reputation of being an excellent sound designer, and you simply cannot go wrong with anything he has made thus far.
So if you are new to VI's I would go for the new Keyscape, especially if you consider what you get for your money.

I personally also like the Pianoteq emulations a lot, they are very stable and tweakable, and the library is continuously expanding with new physical models.
Scarbee also captured the sound of not only the Mark I but also the Clavinet very well.

And yes, I would definitely keep the KRONOS, there is no other hardware workstation that can rival it. Smile
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Sharp wrote:
It's a shame nobody produces Empty Keyboard Cases. Same as buying a empty PC case for custom builds. I'd certainly make more use of DAW software if it could be installed into something that looks like a Musical Instrument and not a Desktop PC.

Regards
Sharp.

So True,
for me horizontal chassis with front panel as a control surface would be an ideal setup for a H/W instrument machine.

I have retired one of my old servers (decent build, with a Core 2 Duo O/C 'd to 3.Cool.
Am thinking of converting that into a dedicated VI Machine with RDP or VNC and some H/W control surface like a dual nano kontrol.

sorry for Off topic post.

A case with a slot where you could slip in the entire next generation mobo and DSP etc etc

With multiple CPUs.

And an 18", 4K touchable screen.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
amit wrote:
Sharp wrote:
It's a shame nobody produces Empty Keyboard Cases. Same as buying a empty PC case for custom builds. I'd certainly make more use of DAW software if it could be installed into something that looks like a Musical Instrument and not a Desktop PC.

Regards
Sharp.

So True,
for me horizontal chassis with front panel as a control surface would be an ideal setup for a H/W instrument machine.

I have retired one of my old servers (decent build, with a Core 2 Duo O/C 'd to 3.Cool.
Am thinking of converting that into a dedicated VI Machine with RDP or VNC and some H/W control surface like a dual nano kontrol.

A case with a slot where you could slip in the entire next generation mobo and DSP etc etc

With multiple CPUs.

Actually, a hardware controller with the option to put the computer components inside is a great idea, and I wonder why no one actually has decided to go ahead and do it.
But I think that when it comes to the screen you're better off with a proper monitor mount which allows you to put the monitor at the best angle and right where you want it.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Ksynth wrote:
amit wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

So True,

With multiple CPUs.

Actually, a hardware controller with the option to put the computer components inside is a great idea, and I wonder why no one actually has decided to go ahead and do it.
But I think that when it comes to the screen you're better off with a proper monitor mount which allows you to put the monitor at the best angle and right where you want it.

I had assumed that the screen would be detachable so you could choose any size and mount it on any angle. Easy to update and replace a broken screen then.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

Hey Sharp.
I have read on this forum your ideals and other smart people here.
If you could get some backing.
you could create your own company and make some amazing revolutionary gear.
Just a thought. Smile
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

Some tried, none delivered something that was good enough to comquer the music buiseness... Tough as a soundmodule the muse receptor still holds its own in the high end of the buiseness.

I dont think the world is ready yet for an empty shell, but a kronos follow up that could load VST instruments as expansions, that would be a huge step...

The closest thing to what you ask are NI komplete kontrol, akai advance and Nektar panorama.. They deliver what you ask, but require a computer hidden under the desk, as they have the interface but not the computing hardware build in...
They also miss the features that make a keyboard a workstation, all they give you is a kind of stage piano/ synth... I would love to see a hardware box that comes with high end workstation features like Karma, Sequencer, arranger, midi phrases, audio looper, arpegiator, motion sequencer...
In the end, i see a future for Ableton as the Core of such an empty keyboard, because MAX definately allows people to create all the stuff i just described.

But then, things like this might take another decade to arise... There is no buiseness as slow as the music buiseness when it comes to innovations...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

Some tried, none delivered something that was good enough to comquer the music buiseness... Tough as a soundmodule the muse receptor still holds its own in the high end of the buiseness.

I dont think the world is ready yet for an empty shell, but a kronos follow up that could load VST instruments as expansions, that would be a huge step...

The closest thing to what you ask are NI komplete kontrol, akai advance and Nektar panorama.. They deliver what you ask, but require a computer hidden under the desk, as they have the interface but not the computing hardware build in...
They also miss the features that make a keyboard a workstation, all they give you is a kind of stage piano/ synth... I would love to see a hardware box that comes with high end workstation features like Karma, Sequencer, arranger, midi phrases, audio looper, arpegiator, motion sequencer...
In the end, i see a future for Ableton as the Core of such an empty keyboard, because MAX definately allows people to create all the stuff i just described.

But then, things like this might take another decade to arise... There is no buiseness as slow as the music buiseness when it comes to innovations...
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting new keyboard with quite a few "hardware plugin devices".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mstEVHn8bU

And some info from CDM

http://cdm.link/2016/09/this-beautiful-retro-diy-keyboard-packs-an-entire-studio-of-gear/
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
In an ideal world a Kronos workstation successor could license and deliver Keyscape (at about not much more than the price of the software package), after making a deal with Eric Persing.

We already have very(!) good libraries from Scarbee, Busch and others. But what really made me fall in love with Keyscape instantly, is that for the first time, after many years, I heard something like an instant gratification vintage keys sound simply nailing it in the presets. It finally is very much sounding, like these intruments originally sounded to me as overall hardware result played live (not just as "sample package with additional effects"). These amped Mk I Rhodes for example just kick butt for my taste, just like a lot of the rest. And the LA Dyna-Rhodes to me is simply the first ever sounding like the real deal.

Lovely product for sure and I own all Spectrasonics products and will likely get it but, here are some reservations (and comment on your thoughts on Kronos):

1. I'd say Kronos Piano and Electric Piano are superior

2. Though this is a big library, a Yamaha C7 Grand Piano is not the most sought after, and there are FAR bigger and better grand piano libraries out there for less

3. I'm not convinced that sample based Fender Rhodes packages can ever do that piano justice. There are too many nuances to get right, and even Logic Pro's Vintage Piano Virtual Acoustic model, as old as it is, will surely blow this out of the water. Logic's model was used by Herbie Hancock on a World tour some years back, so impressed was he by it - that's more than good enough for me - and though I've seen arguments to say it's dated, I do not agree and think it is sublime. Perhaps the best Fender Rhodes emulation there is.

4. A large number of the instruments in this package are curiosities at most - who wants an electric harpsichord or various types of toy pianos? Sure they will be novel and useful on occasion, but they are likely to be played once by any given buyer, and left idle for ever after; bar the odd and occasional left-of-centre media music job.

5. As you point out there are excellent alternatives from the likes of NI and others

6. Software sample libraries of acoustic and electric keyboard instruments are, to me, always problematic from a performance stand point because no matter how much work they do on the velocity cross fading, it only precisely matches the pressures on their development keyboard controller. Buy any other controller, no matter how good, and there's a mismatch between the pressures you exert and the corresponding MIDI velocity and matching velocity layer. This is because the mechanics of each controller is different. And, in my experience, no amount of tweaking of the sample library velocity curves or settings works. Yes you get good results - very good results - but - they pale by comparison to the likes of a quality electric piano like a Clavinova where Yamaha do the matching between the crossfading and the actual keybed you get, and it works far better.

I accept this may not be an issue for high dynamic level performance styles such ad rock piano - but for classical and other more lyrical performance styles it is a real issue. I could never practice a Beethoven Sonata on my OASYS 88 or K2500XS keyboards using even the best Bosendorfer Grand Piano Sample library - the dynamics are always wrong, where as it's a breeze on even a mid-priced Clavinova.

So, even with 10 years development of this package -to me that level of nuance can never be realised unless it's used on the same kind of keyboard controller they developed it on. I'd take a Kronos any day over this package for Pianos and Electric Pianos.

Still - an interesting package - I feel there are too many keyboards in it I'll never use, and it's a bit pricy - but there's no denying the Spectrasoncis Brand does mean it's a very high quality product.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

Lovely product for sure and I own all Spectrasonics products and will likely get it but, here are some reservations (and comment on your thoughts on Kronos):

1. I'd say Kronos Piano and Electric Piano are superior

2. Though this is a big library, a Yamaha C7 Grand Piano is not the most sought after, and there are FAR bigger and better grand piano libraries out there for less

3. I'm not convinced that sample based Fender Rhodes packages can ever do that piano justice. There are too many nuances to get right, and even Logic Pro's Vintage Piano Virtual Acoustic model, as old as it is, will surely blow this out of the water. Logic's model was used by Herbie Hancock on a World tour some years back, so impressed was he by it - that's more than good enough for me - and though I've seen arguments to say it's dated, I do not agree and think it is sublime. Perhaps the best Fender Rhodes emulation there is.

4. A large number of the instruments in this package are curiosities at most - who wants an electric harpsichord or various types of toy pianos? Sure they will be novel and useful on occasion, but they are likely to be played once by any given buyer, and left idle for ever after; bar the odd and occasional left-of-centre media music job.

5. As you point out there are excellent alternatives from the likes of NI and others

6. Software sample libraries of acoustic and electric keyboard instruments are, to me, always problematic from a performance stand point because no matter how much work they do on the velocity cross fading, it only precisely matches the pressures on their development keyboard controller. Buy any other controller, no matter how good, and there's a mismatch between the pressures you exert and the corresponding MIDI velocity and matching velocity layer. This is because the mechanics of each controller is different. And, in my experience, no amount of tweaking of the sample library velocity curves or settings works. Yes you get good results - very good results - but - they pale by comparison to the likes of a quality electric piano like a Clavinova where Yamaha do the matching between the crossfading and the actual keybed you get, and it works far better.

I accept this may not be an issue for high dynamic level performance styles such ad rock piano - but for classical and other more lyrical performance styles it is a real issue. I could never practice a Beethoven Sonata on my OASYS 88 or K2500XS keyboards using even the best Bosendorfer Grand Piano Sample library - the dynamics are always wrong, where as it's a breeze on even a mid-priced Clavinova.

(1)So, even with 10 years development of this package -to me that level of nuance can never be realised unless it's used on the same kind of keyboard controller they developed it on. I'd take a Kronos any day over this package for Pianos and Electric Pianos.

Still - an interesting package - I feel there are too many keyboards in it I'll never use, and it's a bit pricy - but there's no denying the Spectrasoncis Brand does mean it's a very high quality product.

(1) I most definitely enjoy the factory APs and EPs on the Kronos.

I think a shootout between Keyscape and Kronos would be a great test.

I don't always accept video demos to make a solid conclusion- but I am hearing a different character on Keyscapes APs/EPs . And I like what I hear. Plus the enthusiasm of all the pros on the video seemed authentic.

I am new to VI's so I am thinking Keyscape is a cool place to start
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

For one I think KeyScape looks awesome. Regarding the Rhodes piano, I've owned 15 over the years. I still own three including a 60s Sparkletop, 72 Stage and 75 Suitcase. I've done extensive sampling, each note at 1db increments (including release samples and noises) of eight different Rhodes. I've spoken at length to Rhodes technicians about the instrument and have, I think, a pretty good idea of why each one sounds as it does and the tweaking/mods one can do. I also own probably every software Rhodes library/VSTi.

Having said all that, I do think sampling is your best option for capturing the sound of the Rhodes. It's not perfect and there are obstacles, for example getting release samples to respond correctly is critical and difficult to achieve. Related to KeyScape, they claim to incorporate behavior modeling for the release, noise, and pedal noise elements, in addition to circuit modeled effects and amps. So this is not just basic sample playback. I just don't think any of the modeled products do quite as good a job, not disregarding their many benefits.

Here's a link to the legendary Model E rental Rhodes which is part of KeyScape.
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/v2/gallery/12/Leeds+Rentals+%22E%22+Rhodes.html

I strongly disagree with your ranking of EVP88 as the best. In fact I'd rank it near or at the the bottom of the many Rhodes emulations I own. I find the tone to be widely inaccurate. The reference to Herbie using it goes back some 15 years. He's been using a Kronos live for some time now and I don't know if he uses the EP-1 or samples.

Regarding the more obscure instruments, I think this fits perfectly into Spectrasonics sound design philosophy found throughout Omnisphere (and early products such as Distorted Reality) of using uncommon sound sources for the basis of creative sound design. As Keyscape has the ability to be incorporated into Omnisphere, I see the more obscure instruments being highly useful sound sources for the Omnisphere engine and FXs.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with what you said, Busch. And concerning the EVP88, it is really FAR down the list concerning Rhodes authentity. It had one simple modeled basic tone (without any variety between notes like each and every real Rhodes). It had some really dreadful faults, like volume adding up when you used the sustain pedal (at least the versions I had). It had unnaturally modelled noise sounds. The only positive thing about it was that the basic tone was one of the first decent efforts calling back the sweet memory of the Rhodes in the software world back then, shortly after NI recalled the B3 in their B4, with better results. The EVP 88 nowadays is one of the weaker Rhodes emulations available.

Busch, you know well how much I like your sampled EPs. I prefer your Clavs over anything out there so far, and your Rhodes 75 has become my main go to Rhodes besides the EP1s in the Kronos.

But what Eric Persings team has accompished here, for example with their 1973(?) suitcase and stage models and the later LA dyna-Rhodes (Greg Pillinganes instantly playing Tom Cannings "Morning" riff), is simply stunning to my ears. I once had a 1973 Rhodes, and had enough time to repent having sold it years ago, before the Rhodes revival. I was happy about each software or synth hardware step coming closer to that sound I liked so much, beginning with having been a beta tester for the Scarbee Rhodes and the Scarbee Vintage Effects back then. I was and am glad to use the Kronos EP1 in context, due to it's well done compromise of basic tone and dynamic response.

Still, when I first heard the various 1973 Rhodes parts in Eric Persings video, I felt like struck by lighning. It is the very first time that I got the impression: this simply is it. This is what I had and miss. It can replace the real thing like nothing I heard before. I must add that no Rhodes I ever had was in comparably good shape as what I heard in the video. I heard one or two of similar quality in Jens Lüpkes repair and maintenance workshop here in Germany, but hardly many more of that kind. And now all that with the exactly right mixture of excellent sampled tone in up to 32 velocities, round robins, partly modelled well(!) done noises and - last not least and VERY important for authentic live tone - convincing tube amp modelling! By the way this is something I really miss in the Kronos.

I will get that package as soon as they let me. And my own present late Mk I (I had problems getting a 1973-1975 one in good shape and with acceptable price) could really, for the first time, become a piece of furniture just used now and then for fun, simply because I can get hands on a well amped gorgeous 1973 in top shape in Eric's suite. At least for home recording this is "keyboard paradise" for me. I guess you will understand my happy boy feelings more than most in here. Smile

And I have not even started talking about the Wurlies and pianos etc. in the package ...
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Omisphere and Trillian owner, this one does not excite me at all. I must qualify that with the fact that I have never had access to play the originals, so do not have the experience to benchmark against, but I come to it with from the perspective of "is what I have good enough for what I need them for?" - basically to recreate the EPs used by Rick Wright of Pink Floyd in a gig context.

I have FDSP in my EX5 and the EP-1 engine in my Kronos to cover EPs. Then SGX-2 and Pianoteq for acoustic pianos and (Pianoteq) the CP80 (yes I know I can get Fender and Wurlie EP additional models in Pianoteq as well), and there is nothing else in this Spectrasonics release that interests me. Horses for courses of course Smile

As I don't use EPs or acoustic piano sounds in my original music, then I think what I have is good enough. No disrespect intended to what Eric has done of course which is getting good press. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="burningbusch"]
Kevin Nolan wrote:

I strongly disagree with your ranking of EVP88 as the best. In fact I'd rank it near or at the the bottom of the many Rhodes emulations I own. I find the tone to be widely inaccurate. The reference to Herbie using it goes back some 15 years. He's been using a Kronos live for some time now and I don't know if he uses the EP-1 or samples.

Herbie Hancock raved about it. Said it was incredibly good. The review I read was less than 15 years ago; and his ear wasn't 'poor with Fender Rhodes judgment' then because it was '15 years ago'. None of that matters.

I'll take his endorsement - and to my ears it's superlative.

Nevertheless - thanks to you and the other posters for the detailed insight - there are surely an amazing array of keyboard options out there (that Pianoteq product is sounding more enticing as time goes by !! ).

And I'm with you on the quality of Spectrasonics - there's no argument that this is a very fine product. The bottom line for me is that it's a little pricy for a C7 Grand Pianos, and a lot of quirky keyboard instruments I know I'll rarely use. Had it been $199 it'd have been a different story - but $399 is, to me, quite steep (despite it's production quality).

and finally - I will take on board your comments on the quality of its Fender Rhodes - thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: