Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Years Later...E2 yea or nay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Two Years Later...E2 yea or nay? Reply with quote

I have a band forming that could make use of a little electronic sound as a side dish. Main focus is improvisation, guitar, bass, drums...not really jazz, not really rock. Electronics would point in the direction of ambient: pads, slow loops, muting/unmuting parts to create variations, etc.

I already have two options to allow adding electronic parts, a Motif XF workstationwhich I have I used in the past of this sort of thing, but it's a big unit to haul around and set up. It has the major plus of being playable live from the keyboard. I've also used a laptop and Ableton Live w/Launchpad but it needs a small tabletop and adds a number of extra cables.

I was thinking an E2 would be a simpler solution than either. Could run on batteries, small enough to throw into one of my gig bags, blah, blah, blah... However, I have been following the various bugs and missing features conversations since day one.

Now that the units have been out for a while and further updates are unlikely, who thinks the E2 is still worth buying? Who would not buy it again knowing what they know now? Is anyone using one in the manner I have described?
captain johnson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sigh! awaits the back and fourth this type of discussion brings.........)

My 2 cents, it's got limits but it sounds awesome and I am exclusively using it to do live sets along side 2 volcas. Works for me, simple but effective.

You really need to watch the tutorial videos out there to see if you would really like though or better still get to a music dealer to have a go!
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DR.DR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The awesome things are awesome. But there is weird clunkiness. If you're gonna be playing along with it, keep in mind there is no song mode so one member will need to do live arrangements. This is a major issue for me as I'm doing something qualitatively similar to your description with just myself.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain johnson wrote:
get to a music dealer to have a go!

Guitar Center (now the only local Korg dealer) seems to be unable to stock these in stories near me. After two years. Pathetic. So I have yet to see one in the flesh.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my E2S. The limitations don't bother me at all and my creativity and productivity have both increased since I bought it. I'd buy it again in a second. If you're using it alongside a guitar, take a look at the thread about using the audio in line as an FX processor. There are many creative possibilities for getting some interesting and unique guitar tones.
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the E2S and find it indispensable. I'm having issues too, but I'm just sucking it up and taking it into the shop. For what I'm doing there is no other alternative. Even if I'm willing to throw down $2000 on a Tempest or an Analog Rytm or an Octatrack -- none of those can replace what the E2S does: sampler, sequencer and VA engine. I need all three in one box. Analog Rytm came close but it's not a real sampler and I don't think it has much going on in the sequencing department. I don't mention the Circuit because it's a sample player and only has 2 VA engines available. But for the OP's purposes maybe the Circuit will work?
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the E2S and find it indispensable. I'm having issues too, but I'm just sucking it up and taking it into the shop. For what I'm doing there is no other alternative. Even if I'm willing to throw down $2000 on a Tempest or an Analog Rytm or an Octatrack -- none of those can replace what the E2S does: sampler, sequencer and VA engine. I need all three in one box. Analog Rytm came close but it's not a real sampler and I don't think it has much going on in the sequencing department. I don't mention the Circuit because it's a sample player and only has 2 VA engines available. But for the OP's purposes maybe the Circuit will work?
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues everyone has would likely not affect you so much because of how you are planning to use it. As a background piece I might be great for you. I would recommend the sampler so you can load you sounds to play live that are the same as the ones you use in studio, instead of making due with replacement sounds.
That or an mpc 1000 is another option.
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redmond Barry wrote:

If you dont think elektron boxes have much going on in the sequencer department you are using them wrong!
Unless you mean sequencing external gear, in which case elektron did miss that boat on the rytm imo
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbvdb493 wrote:
If you dont think elektron boxes have much going on in the sequencer department you are using them wrong!
Unless you mean sequencing external gear, in which case elektron did miss that boat on the rytm imo

I meant sequencing external gear. Shoulda specified that, sorry. But yeah Elektron's sequencing is fantastic!
Cade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you NEED the sampling capabilities of the E2S, go with the E2. The greater amount of waveforms and filter types make the E2 much more usable as a synth than the sampler.
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
o.w.t.m

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it and love to hate on it! but seriously there is no other piece of kit I keep going back to as much as this! I love the lush ambient pads and fx capabilities, I only wish editing and song construction tools where stronger.
If you have a spare hand to change patterns and trigger pads, it should fit right in.
jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.w.t.m wrote:
Love it and love to hate on it! but seriously there is no other piece of kit I keep going back to as much as this! I love the lush ambient pads and fx capabilities, I only wish editing and song construction tools where stronger.
If you have a spare hand to change patterns and trigger pads, it should fit right in.

the only similar devices to the es2 is the beat thang which just looks awful stylistically and the software may have more bugs than the es2.

also the boss sp range
Sulfur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Zoom ARQ and Casio XW-PD1? Would you take them into account over the E2? If I wouldn't have mine, I would be fascinated by the former most of all but the price is higher. Regarding Casio, I could say it accompanied my growth but I've developed a sort of toyish preconception about their products. Unfortunately they're both missing MIDI I/O ports. Think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: