Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange VCO Phasing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
migl.pena

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Strange VCO Phasing Reply with quote

Hello,
I,m Miguel. I have a Korg Minilogue for some time.
I dont have a lot experience with analog sinths but... is it normal when the VCO completly clean (no LFO, Envelopes, Sync, Ring, etc) goes on a long phasing?

Like you have a fat sound then slowly disaper, then comes back again... I can not play a bass line for a long time...

Can anyone help me?

P.S Why there is a shamefull delay in this sinth?

Cheers,

Miguel
Otso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange VCO Phasing Reply with quote

migl.pena wrote:
is it normal when the VCO completly clean (no LFO, Envelopes, Sync, Ring, etc) goes on a long phasing?

If you mean that the two VCOs are slightly out of sync, even when they are tuned, then I think this is normal. It happens on mine too, and I've seen it on other's as well (in Youtube vidoes).

I'm not sure at all, but maybe it is because of the fact that the VCOs are analog and it is difficult to get them both perfectly tuned (even though they are digitally controlled).
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If it is the 2 oscillator problem as Otso describes, switch on the sync. This makes oscillator 1 and 2 remain in sync and will remove the fading. However depending on the pitch offset of osc2 vs osc1, it may generate overtones. If you don't like that, bring the volume down of oscillator 2 in the mix.

Bye
migl.pena

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: VCO phasing Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for the reply, OpAmp.
Yes i tried with no volume on VCO2...Maybe its normal, i don't know.

After your reply i tried everything again and I notice that happens in unison and in duo mode (more noticeble in lower octaves). It doesn't phase in poly mode.

Thank you and sorry for my english,

Miguel
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In unison and duo mode it is normal that you hear the phasing. You basically stack in these modes several voices (all 4 in unison and 2 in duo mode) when you hit a key. The voices are slightly detuned from each other to get that thick, chorus sound. So depending on the amount of detune, you get the beating or the fading in volume. You can tweak the amount of detune using voice mode depth. But if you want to get rid of the fading by setting the detune to 0, it does not make much sense to use the unison and duo mode, because you consume voices for nothing.

In polymode it is not there, because only one voice is assigned to a key. Still the fading may occur when the 2 oscillators in 1 voice are slightly detune (my previous suggestion).

Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: