Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 firmware, petition, 8 bars and all that stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: E2 firmware, petition, 8 bars and all that stuff Reply with quote

Making an appeal to common sense on internet forums is a lost cause, but still, I’ll give it a try:

Many of us are unsatisfied with some design choices in the latest generation of Electribes. As consumers we have basically 2 choices:

1) return the unit to the shop or sell it

2) go the change.org route and voice our concerns.

Let me remind you that option nr. 2 is a CLOSED CASE.

The petition has been send to Korg, over 800 people signed it. There was some media attention, Synthopia, Matrixsynth, Sonicstate and others posted about it.

We did all we could, and once again, thanks to all of the contributors and voters.

So now, common sense suggests that we should MOVE ON.

By „moving on” I mean posts like this one, that actually contribute something:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=106260

Sharing workflow tips, help in creating a specific synth patch, sharing patterns, sample kits, etc.

Its been 2 years and we are still discussing the firmware, whats missing, 8 bars etc.

I’d say 90% of this forum is about what the E2/E2S CAN’T do. Maybe its time to turn it around.

Last edited by thebiglebowski on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
_INTER_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately option 1) includes loosing quite a bit money.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you 100% but I'm not sure what the page you have linked to has to do with it, that dude is just trying to share some helpful tips.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
Agree with you 100% but I'm not sure what the page you have linked to has to do with it, that dude is just trying to share some helpful tips.

I've posted this link as a positive example of what I understand by „moving on” – sharing tips, music, patterns, sample kits, whatever. Sadly, posts like this are a minority here.

Its the exact opposite of the pointless and unproductive talk about what is broken and how to fix it, which is going on here way too long. The most productive thing to do in this matter was the change.org petition and its done.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all my issues with the electribe 2, the following things remain true:

1. As a drum machine, it's damn good.
2. As just a drum machine, it's cheap!

Look at what Roland will give you for $400. A tiny 909. It only has 909 sounds. Yes, you can tune the kick with a tiny knob. The electribe goes way beyond that.

Yes, it struggles as a synth. It has a stupid envelope scheme. It can't do autoglide. High resonance is tapered off for a muffled sound. It has fake polyphony, and only 4 fake voices. The insert effects are voiced way too tame and require a second or third control. It's underpowered. Step mode is a laborious menu-diving nightmare.

Yet all anyone ever complains about is 8 bars. The food is bad, why do you care about portions?

I've made my peace with the electribe but I no longer use it as a groovebox. It's a drum machine. I'm keeping it. I'm not holding out for any improvements. If they fix or add one thing, great!
BubbleTrailsMusic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 firmware, petition, 8 bars and all that stuff Reply with quote

thebiglebowski wrote:
Making an appeal to common sense on internet forums is a lost cause, but still, I’ll give it a try:

Many of us are unsatisfied with some design choices in the latest generation of Electribes. As consumers we have basically 2 choices:

1) return the unit to the shop or sell it

2) go the change.org route and voice our concerns.

Let me remind you that option nr. 2 is a CLOSED CASE.

The petition has been send to Korg, over 800 people signed it. There was some media attention, Synthopia, Matrixsynth, Sonicstate and others posted about it.

We did all we could, and once again, thanks to all of the contributors and voters.

So now, common sense suggests that we should MOVE ON.

By „moving on” I mean posts like this one, that actually contribute something:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=106260

Sharing workflow tips, help in creating a specific synth patch, sharing patterns, sample kits, etc.

Its been 2 years and we are still discussing the firmware, whats missing, 8 bars etc.

I’d say 90% of this forum is about what the E2/E2S CAN’T do. Maybe its time to turn it around.

Hey man I really appreciate that! These things can do a lot more than people give them credit for. Haters can keep on hating!

Booking: BubbleTrailsMusic@gmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/bubble-trails
https://www.facebook.com/bubbletrailsmusic
https://twitter.com/BTmusicFreqs
BubbleTrailsMusic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, another way to bolster the usefulness of this forum is collaborating with one another. With us all using the same piece of kit to create, it makes it real easy to bounce pattern files off one another using Google Drive or Dropbox. I'm doing so with a dude who plays under ABRASIVE based out of London- never met the guy but we are making a track together by sharing pattern files with one another. Super fun! I'll probably include the track in my live set in a few weeks.

Booking: BubbleTrailsMusic@gmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/bubble-trails
https://www.facebook.com/bubbletrailsmusic
https://twitter.com/BTmusicFreqs
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebiglebowski wrote:
Steeplemouth wrote:

I've posted this link as a positive example of what I understand by „moving on” – sharing tips, music, patterns, sample kits, whatever. Sadly, posts like this are a minority here.

Its the exact opposite of the pointless and unproductive talk about what is broken and how to fix it, which is going on here way too long. The most productive thing to do in this matter was the change.org petition and its done.

Sorry dude my mistake, I didn't read your post properly. I thought you were listing an example of people complaining about it. My apologies.
Aliocha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 1000 bars track with the chain function Very Happy
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can get a 1000 bars track with the chain function"

...yup, that sure is a very common misconception, as anyone who enjoys composing with 8 bars knows.

before thinking that way, why not try composing in just one bar for all your patterns, and see if the chain function helps you get what 4 bars would have given you!

(it won't!)
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestLondoner wrote:

before thinking that way, why not try composing in just one bar for all your patterns, and see if the chain function helps you get what 4 bars would have given you!

(it won't!)

v good point there. just sayin.
Disastrous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my E2S a few months now and I still really like it. The limits don't bother me (well the memory/data wrangling does but anyway...) as ultimately, they make it quite a simple machine to master and use.

I recently picked up a Novation Circuit and between the two of them, I'm actually trying to figure out a way to drop my ageing RM1X from my setup and have the Electribe sequence all my external gear/synths.

The one thing standing in my way is the lack of MIDI Thru. I'd REALLY like to be able to play external gear via a keyboard connected to the Electribe. I'm aware of the various ways of getting around this but not found the right one for me yet but when I do, I shall make a post on here about it in case others are interested.

Anyway, that inadvertently came out a bit negative but it's not meant to be. The main point was that I like this thing enough as a sequencer that I'm trying to make it my main one!

Also, the Circuit users facebook group is absolutely brilliant. It's a really creative, supportive and helpful place and I completely agree that sort of positivity would help here...

Is there an Electribe Facebook group, btw? Like, an official one?
Aliocha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestLondoner wrote:
"You can get a 1000 bars track with the chain function"

...yup, that sure is a very common misconception, as anyone who enjoys composing with 8 bars knows.

(it won't!)

WestLondoner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Aliocha, it's ah ah almost looking like you joined the forum to share that joke with us. Sufficiently Wacky I suppose.

@roblabs, thank you sir. Very Happy
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disastrous wrote:
Is there an Electribe Facebook group, btw? Like, an official one?

Its not official, but there is one large E2/E2S group on FB. Its quite a story in fact.

There was a guy that had too much free time on his hand and he posted his smartass comments to every freakin post. If someone provided a complete answer to a problem, this guy had to chime in to prove his answer is better. That type of guy. And for some reason he became the group admin Smile

A few months later the change.org Electribe firmware petition happened. For some reason this guy thinks this petiotion is BS. He's totally entitled to that opinion, however he enforced that opinion to the whole group. He banned every person who dared to post about this petition. Every mention of the petition this guy deleted with a passion. The group has its own rules. Posting a link to the petition – no matter what your opinion is – did not violate any of its rules. Yet he enforced his own opinion and censorship, basically making this group his private sandbox.

So yeah, there is a E2/E2S FB group, sadly it is in hands of a weirdo fanboy, so everytime you dare to say something negative about Korg – expect censorship, banning, etc.

Instead, I recomend the Grooveboxes group and the Korg Electribe Appreciation Group – much better vibe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: