Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taktile 49 Pads off by one octave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-nizzle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Taktile 49 Pads off by one octave Reply with quote

Anyone who has Taktile 49 if you could please do me a favor.

On the main display when you hit a pad it will show the pad name as well as the note being sent. In my case, everything is off by one octave.

I use MIDI MONITOR in Cubase and also what EZ Drummer is telling me, and everything is off by an octave.

Tak screen says C3 but the note coming in is actually C2. Pad that says F#4 is actually sending F#3.

Can anyone else who has Tak49 please use a monitor and tell me if they have the same issue?
Hexdigit62

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am not a keyboard player nor do I own a Taktile but just as a precaution check and reset any transpose option that may have been Inadvertently set.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by Hexdigit62 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
the-nizzle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the first thing I checked, it is definitely not that.

I am just going to have to live with the fact that the Korg display says C2 but it is really sending out a C1.

After googling, I guess it has to do with what each manufacturer thinks is a MIDDLE C. Korg has a different opinion about it than Yamaha does... So KORG showing C2 but sending C1 is I guess "normal" but very frustrating.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1038298?start=0&tstart=0

When it comes to MIDI there are two different standards for how notes are labeled. Middle C, being a benchmark, can either be C3 or C4, but regardless, they represent the same exact note, viz:

On any MIDI keyboard, assuming that any transpose feature isn't activated, Middle C outputs note #60. Korg has opted to use the name "C4" to designate this note. Yamaha and other companies call it "C3". But play a Middle C on any keyboard and you're outputting note #60.

So the Korg Pad Kontrol doesn't actually transmit notes higher than Logic reads. It outputs the right notes. It's up to you to adjust Logic's preferences and/or keep track of this. And it won't make a difference if you flip that pref between takes.

Just to be complete about it, it's not just Middle C that gets renamed by this choice of naming convention.

MIDDLE OCTAVE NOTE NAMES for the same notes:

Korg: C4, C#4, D4.....B4 next octave starts at C5...
Roland: C3, C#3, D3....B3 next octave starts at C4
Hexdigit62

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was a stab anyway. That's whacked that the standards are not more closely Adhered to. Thankfully I'm just a drummer... Wink
Jang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: C3 or C4 Reply with quote

My DAW is Logic Pro X and I work on a Mac here but
In my Preferences (Display) window there is a specific place to select exactly what you are looking for.
Yamaha C3 or Roland C4.
I would think that your Cubase would have a comparable option.
That’s possibly where you should be looking.
Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: