Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NANOKEY Studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hexdigit62

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: NANOKEY Studio Reply with quote

Hi,
I’ve searched for this information but have not been able to locate anything here or in the manual. How can you tell what root key you are in since there is no display like on the Taktile.

Thanks,
John
the-nizzle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to use some sort of MIDI MONITOR plugin in your host or something like MIDI OX to see what note value or note number is coming out of your rig on key press. Do the Octave -/+ buttons light up in any meaningful way? On the Taktile they are color coded depending on which octave you are in.
Hexdigit62

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
Thanks for replying. This is actually a pre-sales question so I really couldn’t answer that. I know on the TAKTILE the display tells you which key you are in so I was wondering how that is determined on the NANOKEY Studio. Since the unit is geared towards non-keyboard players like myself (drummer) and is designed to make staying in the correct key easy you would think they would have thought of some way to indicate this as with the display and color coding on the TAKTILE?

Thanks,
John
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The octave shift, scale and key selected are all indicated by key or keyboard backlighting changes, e.g. for octave shift, the octave up/down buttons are illuminated white, pink, red and blinking red for shifts of 1, 2, 3, or 4 octaves respectively.

Hexdigit62

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The octave shift, scale and key selected are all indicated by key or keyboard backlighting changes, e.g. for octave shift, the octave up/down buttons are illuminated white, pink, red and blinking red for shifts of 1, 2, 3, or 4 octaves respectively.

Thanks for the input VOIP, I really appreciate it! How would the untrained ear know what the key/scale is though? Say, for instance, I knew I wanted to play in C, how would I go about dialing that in without a display to tell me what I am in? I looked in the manual for a chart of some sort explaining what colors correspond to which key/scale but they’ve left it out apparently. A strange oversight considering the unit is geared towards non keyboard players.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual does seem to be lacking somewhat in the amount of detail provided.

Playing in a different key is just a case of transposition. It can be done by actually playing different keys i.e. shifting the keys being played up or down the required number of semitones, or by using the transpose function, which allows playing in a different key by pressing the same notes. I don't have a nanoKEY Studio, but would imagine that the backlighting of one key, starting with C, or no keys lit, to signify the untransposed state, would be a sufficient indicator.

As for the various scales, it would seem reasonable when the scale function is turned on, to illuminate the various keys of that scale, e.g. keys C D E F G A B for the Ionian (Major) scale. There is a scale list on page 24 of the Owner's Manual. The illumination of the keys should shift up or down a semitone at a time each time the key is shifted up or down.
If this is correct, then the untransposed Ionian scale would be shown by seven adjacent keys of the bottom row being lit, and none of the upper row.

Whether or not any of this actually happens is another matter. It is merely conjecture on my part.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video is quite instructive, and illuminating (pardon the pun), and bears out some the speculation in my previous posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8sMtS8sAgM

Hexdigit62

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, you've been a tremendous help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: