Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help editing an effect on the M1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Need help editing an effect on the M1 Reply with quote

Hello!!

I posted my question in the "legacy collection" sub-forum and realized that might not be the best place to do so, so I'm posting it here in this sub forums as well. I apologize for that.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set a specific effect on a patch on the M1.

What I would like to do is take the tremolo effect on the organ patches that normally get kicked on when pressing hard on the keys (or by using the joystick) and have the tremolo on all the time,

Is this possible? If so, what parameters need to be changed?

Thanks! Ed
Lith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Have you tried using the rotary speaker effect in the effects section. Assign that to one slot of your effects section and that might do the trick.
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lith. Thanks for replying.
Yes. I tried that but I'm looking for a more intenae effect like you get when moving the joystick up without using it.
Haniaudio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdK wrote:
Hello Lith. Thanks for replying.
Yes. I tried that but I'm looking for a more intenae effect like you get when moving the joystick up without using it.

You can do it without using effects. All what you have to do is to adjust few parameters in EDIT PROGRAM.
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lith...I appreciate the reply. However I don't know what parameters need to be edited to accomplish this. I generally don't do much editing programs or combis to begin with so I don't know what parameters need to be changed. Can you provide any insight?
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Need help editing an effect on the M1 Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

do you have a specific sound (Prog) that you want to edit? Perhaps you can submit a .syx file containing that sound(s) and I'll try to (hopefully) edit it the way you want it and tell you what I did while editing...? If it's one (or more) of the factory progs - these sounds I have at hand.

regards,
the_crimson_thunder
EdK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate it but before we go there, I've got something new to deal with

I am now receiving a “battery low” message.

I backup my M1 to my computer from time to time using MIDI-OX by performing a DUMP ALL function. File size is about 53K.

Over the years I have edited some of the patches which is why I perform backups from time to time.

I need to replace the battery and if I’m interpreting numerous threads on the subject on the web correctly, I will loose all my patches during that process.

I don’t want to reload the M1 with the factory patches but rather reload it from my most recent backup which contains all the edits I’ve performed over the years. However, it seems to me that a 53K file seems to be a bit small for storing 100 PROGS, 100 COMBIS, GLOBAL, etc data.

My question is…what exactly is lost when the battery is removed? Is it just the 100 PROGS, 100 COMBIS, etc (which would explain why the file is only 53K) or are the actual waveforms stored in ROM lost (that the PROGS and COMBIS are derived from)?

I hope my question makes sense. Perhaps I’ve been reading too many threads on the web on the subject and I’m now a bit confused.

Thanks…Ed
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I just installed MIDI-Ox on my Win 7 computer and did a dump (All Data) from my M1REX into MIDI-Ox. The resulting file size is 33 kB...

But I have to say that at the moment I have a lot of 'free' Progs & Combis (Init) on the M1 but I think the file size wouldn't be different.

Just tested:
If I dump All Data the resulting file size is ALWAYS about 33 kB, regardless if the complete synth memory contains empty (Init) Progs & Combinations or if there are 'valid' Progs & Combis.

If I only dump Progs the file size is 16 kB
If I only dump Combis the file size is 14 kB

MIDI-Ox should be set up like this:

Goto OPTIONS -> MIDI-DEVICES and select your device for MIDI-IN & MIDI-OUT. Upper right window (Port-Mapping: select your device, then press OK.

Goto VIEW -> SysEx (opens 'SysEx View and Scratchpad' window) -> SysEx -> Configure:

Input Buffers: Size 256 Bytes
Num 32
Output Buffers: Size 256 Bytes
Num 64

Output Timing:
Delay between buffers: 100 Milliseconds

Press OK

Thats what my MIDI-Ox is set up, & it works Cool

If your M1 still sounds OK I recommend to back up your sounds immediately. The battery is easy to swap as it already resides in a battery holder. After swapping the batters it's strongly recommended to reset (initialize) your M1 following this procedure:

1st: Turn OFF power.

2nd: Press and hold [INT.], [CARD] and [PROG] simultaneously and switch ON the M1.

Now the M1 has been initialized. Be aware that all internal sound data (Prog/Combi/Sequencer etc.) will get lost!!!

If you have sounds you want to keep you must save them (to a card or via MIDI to a computer) BEFORE running the above procedure!!!

Now you can transmit your Progs/Combis back into the M1 via MIDI...

Edit:
IF your Progs/Combis etc. on your M1 are still ok you can CAREFULLY! try to replace the battery while the synth is powered up - the power supply provides the required voltage for the internal RAM so it shouldn't lose its content. Doing so you don't need to initialize the M1 - but safety first: (if you haven't already done) -> save your sounds!
Note: if you try this you do this at your own risk!
EdK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I dumped all data from the M1 to my computer yesterday so I have a current backup.

However, I'm still a bit puzzled. If the battery is removed or has gone completely dead, I understand that all sounds are lost.

From all of the various threads I've been reading on the internet, I guess I'm looking for confirmation to make sure I understand.

The actual waveforms/samples in the M1 are burned into ROM and replacing the battery does not wipe those out. That the only thing that is lost when replacing the battery are the specific parameters stored in each PROG/COMBI/GLOBAL. and these parameters act on the waveforms/samples to create the actual sounds you hear.

If that is correct, then I can understand why the file from a DUMP ALL function would only be 53K because they are only the parameters for each patch (sound).

Is this correct?

Ed
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdK wrote:

The actual waveforms/samples in the M1 are burned into ROM and replacing the battery does not wipe those out. That the only thing that is lost when replacing the battery are the specific parameters stored in each PROG/COMBI/GLOBAL. and these parameters act on the waveforms/samples to create the actual sounds you hear.

If that is correct, then I can understand why the file from a DUMP ALL function would only be 53K because they are only the parameters for each patch (sound).

Is this correct?

Ed

Yes, this is correct, the waveforms/samples are stored in 8 pcs of 23C4000 chips (4M-BIT MASK ROM, 40 pins, IC 36 to IC 43) which cannot be erased. You only save the parameters that 'shape' the sounds (waveforms) and thats why those files (.syx) are very small.

But what puzzles ME is the size of YOUR syx-files - 53 kb! They are bigger than mine - I've listed the file sizes (using Midi-Ox too) of my savings in my post above - the All Data dump is much smaller (33 kB) than yours Shocked
T3owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_crimson_thunder wrote:
[...] But what puzzles ME is the size of YOUR syx-files - 53 kb! They are bigger than mine - I've listed the file sizes (using Midi-Ox too) of my savings in my post above - the All Data dump is much smaller (33 kB) than yours Shocked

For 100 Progs and Combis...
Programs 16kB
Combis 14kB
Global 1kB
Sequence 2kB~22kB
All 33kB~53kB

It would appear that EdK has the sequencer full, and you've got it empty.
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For 100 Progs and Combis...
Programs 16kB
Combis 14kB
Global 1kB
Sequence 2kB~22kB
All 33kB~53kB

It would appear that EdK has the sequencer full, and you've got it empty.

Thanks T3owner for the clarification - now it makes sense to me Very Happy

And yes, my sequencer is always empty since I've never used it in any way. Thats why my All Data file is smaller... Cool
You live and learn... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: