Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I hook my Microkorg to these speakers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
au_Sen_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Can I hook my Microkorg to these speakers? Reply with quote

I've owned a pair of Martin Logan 35XTs (in cherry!) for months but haven't been able to use them, curious if I could hookup to a Microkorg which I should be receiving Friday. Sorry, not much understanding of audio technology yet. These speakers are advertised as "tweeters" and I've seen people recommending "monitors" to use with their synths if not preamps. Doubtful that I could just hook my synth right into the speakers, is there another component I am to buy? Also I believe these speakers are passive, as in they do not plug directly into an outlet(?)

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Motion-35XT-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00MHOJAIA
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Impressive speaker. And yes, they are only speakers and thus passive.

Which means you can NOT connect them right away to the microKorg. The outputs of the microKorg are at 'line-level' and can not drive the speakers. You need to buy an stereo amplifier who can deliver the necessary power to drive the speakers. So here it goes: microKorg outputs L/R -> amplifier inputs -> amplifier speaker outputs -> speakers.

Have fun.
au_Sen_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that was some very helpful information already. Do you have any suggestions for a stereo amp with my current speakers? I'm hoping to one day expand beyond the Microkorg and maybe get a Moog Little Phatty or a Nord Lead if that alters your recommendation.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My advice would be, just go for a decent amplifier. I have no particular brand in mind (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo amongst others). Check that the ohms (impedance) of the speakers correspond to the impedance that the amplifier can handle. You may look up the specs of the speaker and amplifier or let you assist on that. Furthermore the amplifier should be able to deliver the Watts (power) that the speakers can handle. If you have a big mismatch between them, the amplifier can either not deliver sufficient power to the speakers (the hearable volume will be low), or either easily overdrive and blow them.

The type of synth you connect to the amplifier is not that important in your choice of the amplifier. At the moment you expand, you may even hook the different synths first to a (small) mixer and route that one to the amplifier Wink

Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: