Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Italian Grand significantly better for you ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Is the Italian Grand significantly better for you ? Reply with quote

I usually don't gather opinion- since sounds are so subjective.

But I need a nudge on the IG and would appreciate objective comments.

Demo mode decays too quickly for me.

Often, when I read about a keyboard product purchase, the owner praises it, mostly because they own it. Why sure. I get that.

My question- it the IG significantly better than the German Grand, Japanese Grand, the Berlin ?

I know they are all different. I get that.

If all you play , is the Italian Grand, because it well surpasses the experience of the other Kronos AP's, that would be a strong indicator IMO.

Thanks !
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from the demo mode the IG sounds better to me. The decay in demo mode

makes it harder to get a real feel for the piano but I will purchase the IG soon.

I think the style of music and your style as well may be a determining factor

whether to purchase or not.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
Just from the demo mode the IG sounds better to me. The decay in demo mode

makes it harder to get a real feel for the piano but I will purchase the IG soon.

I think the style of music and your style as well may be a determining factor

whether to purchase or not.

Hey Benny, thanks for putting your piano ear on the IG.

I suppose I will have to rely on demos to help. Demo's always sound excellent, a performance I cannot equal.

You are right, now that I think about it. The other 3 AP's find their fit and use into the song material I create. Cover material is not much of a priority due to time.

However, solo piano work is very common with some Kronos owners.

I think that's the audience to possibly provide their experience or preference.
IAA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted but decided the Berlin is “my” piano now I’ve used it pretty much nonstop. If you get it post a song I’d like to listen.

Ian
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO there is not really a significantly better. They are just different and can serve different purposes. If I would win the jackpot, I would probably buy not just one but two top-tier grand pianos.

My personal view :

German & Japanese = good fit for multi-instrumental purposes. Lack of decent ppp to mp samples. Ideal when you want to be heard in a band live and for more equal level/dynamics.

Berlin = Compared to German & Japanese, much better ppp to mp samples and wider dynamic range. Ideal for solo playing and classical. Sounds more powerful and heavy compared to Italian.

Italian = Compared to German & Japanese, better ppp to mp samples and wider dynamic range. Ideal for solo playing and classical. Sounds more delicate than Berlin with its bell-sounding hi-midrange.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAA wrote:
I was tempted but decided the Berlin is “my” piano now I’ve used it pretty much nonstop. If you get it post a song I’d like to listen.

Ian

Hi Ian, yes, I would definitely record the IG when I get it.

I also like the Berlin. I recorded this song, " Dream State", where I use the Berlin - on 2 separate midi channels:

https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994/dream-statewav
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
IMHO there is not really a significantly better. They are just different and can serve different purposes. If I would win the jackpot, I would probably buy not just one but two top-tier grand pianos.

My personal view :

German & Japanese = good fit for multi-instrumental purposes. Lack of decent ppp to mp samples. Ideal when you want to be heard in a band live and for more equal level/dynamics.

Berlin = Compared to German & Japanese, much better ppp to mp samples and wider dynamic range. Ideal for solo playing and classical. Sounds more powerful and heavy compared to Italian.

Italian = Compared to German & Japanese, better ppp to mp samples and wider dynamic range. Ideal for solo playing and classical. Sounds more delicate than Berlin with its bell-sounding hi-midrange.

You are likely correct with your post. It would be nice to see a bunch of observations supported w/facts but not likely[?]

Good job breaking down the key differences of each AP on Kronos. And where each AP is best suited.

Since I am immersed in recording, I am doing , at best, occasional solo piano.
Solo piano is the key, I believe. By the time I lay down 14 midi tracks in a recording, with various FX, its not that easy to determine which AP is used in the recording.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the IG today and very satisfied. The tone is very even sounding and pristine. The upper register really sounds nice to me and it's my opinion only all ears are different.

I think it is the best piano for me but not miles better than the German Grand.

I think it would be great for classical and rock players as well.
thiagotgc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italian Grand ... Theo best!!!!! Theo best!!!
4GB RAM

popmann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been the first of the post release pianos Ive even considered after playing the demo. The others have sounded like they were sampled with better mics/pres/converters, but less programming time. They all seems to play “weird” under my fingers. The Italian feels great, sounds great.

Im on the fence. If i used the Kronos piano sounds on the regular, there would be no fence. Its the best overall. So, its really a kind of decision for me whether i put more money into a Kronos piano sound I still wont likely use in the studio. Between the Galaxy VintageD, ivory American D, and Keyscape’s C7....ive been considering just selling the Kronos and buying a VPC1 instead.

But, if you told me “you will be playing the Kronos piano sounds exclusively”, I would buy the Italian right now.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also take a few minutes out to program your own.
For me, most of the standard Kronos piano sounds fit well into a complete song, but sound a little lightweight when they are more exposed - especially compared to the sound of my own real piano. That's just personal taste, rather than some kind of definitive criticism.
So I've made a couple of my own by tweaking the presets, and they are much more 'me'. That makes the idea of buying something like the Italian Grand pointless.
Having said that, I have appreciated one or two sampled pianos that have come up on the forum, and I'm grateful for the significant variety they have added to my Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: