Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Beats to mini amp. with 3.5 input.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryantenglish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Volca Beats to mini amp. with 3.5 input. Reply with quote

Hi!

I have the Volca Beats and I bought the

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Korg-Volca-Keys-Beats-Bass-Synth-Headphone-Out-to-Balanced-In-Lead-Cable/172114262795?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=470953231915&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

from cable. It works perfectly and now I have great volume with my Roland Street Cube Amp.

On the other hand, I have a mini-amp I use in class (I'm a teacher) that has a 3.5 input...I have a 1/4 to 3.5 adapter but, when I tried it today, I have the low volume issue again! Sad To be clear, I am coming out of the VB with the special cable and then using an adapter to change to 3.5 again...do I need some special adapter to do this??

Please help! I've had the bloody thing for weeks now and not been able to use it, haha!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Cube do you have? I'm guessing it's the 2x5w model as it's the only one I could find with an 1/8th inch input on it.

The volume drop may be from a poor connection. Sometimes those adaptors can be a little loose and not have a firm connection. I've used aluminium foil and steelwool wrapped around plugs in the past to remedy crappy connections, but it's not ideal at all and can get caught up in the socket.

Just get a regular 1/8th inch to same stereo lead. You can get them from consumer electronics stores very easily and they are cheap. It's just a simple cable similar to those used to go from your PC audio out to your speakers or a smart phone to wired speaker. Most people who have been using computers for some time have many of them laying around from over the years.

This is the sort of lead I'm talking about: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/belkin/belkin-essential-stereo-3-5mm-audio-cable-2-0m/357295/
You can get them cheaper than that if you go to Kmart or the like.

That's a nice cable you got from ebay, but you can get them cheaper from an instrument store generally. Hosa make fine cables in the same 1/4" to 1/8th inch configuration at various lengths and price points.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
bryantenglish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Which Cube do you have? I'm guessing it's the 2x5w model as it's the only one I could find with an 1/8th inch input on it.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I wasn"t clear...

The Volca Beats has a known quirk which is that it's audio out is in stereo...when you go direct to an amp. you lose half the volume. the remedy is the cable I linked to which I bought from Ebay and now the Volca works fine with my Roland Street Cube...that cable converts the stereo signal from the Volca's 3.5 to the Cube's mono 1/4 input.

My problem is that the amp. I use at school takes 3.5...when I convert the 1/4 back to 3.5 for the school amp I lose half the signal again! The amp and the adapter and the cable all work fine so it must be a question of getting the adapter right?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryantenglish wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I wasn"t clear...

The Volca Beats has a known quirk which is that it's audio out is in stereo...when you go direct to an amp. you lose half the volume. the remedy is the cable I linked to which I bought from Ebay and now the Volca works fine with my Roland Street Cube...that cable converts the stereo signal from the Volca's 3.5 to the Cube's mono 1/4 input.

My problem is that the amp. I use at school takes 3.5...when I convert the 1/4 back to 3.5 for the school amp I lose half the signal again! The amp and the adapter and the cable all work fine so it must be a question of getting the adapter right?

Oh right, I've just reread the eBay ad and I think I've worked it out. The cable is wired from regular stereo to balanced mono. Your amp has balanced 1/4" mono inputs. When you use the mini-amp with the 1/8th inch socket, are you going into a stereo socket? If you are, it's trying to spread a mono signal across two channels.

And in rereading the ad, I'm thinking I might get two myself as they do sound as though they claim to make a good difference. I'm using 1/8" stereo-> 1/4" mono and especially with the VBeats I get some odd ducking behaviour which I've been told is a direct result of using the cables I am using.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
bryantenglish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="megamarkd"]
bryantenglish wrote:

Oh right, I've just reread the eBay ad and I think I've worked it out. The cable is wired from regular stereo to balanced mono. Your amp has balanced 1/4" mono inputs. When you use the mini-amp with the 1/8th inch socket, are you going into a stereo socket? If you are, it's trying to spread a mono signal across two channels.

And in rereading the ad, I'm thinking I might get two myself as they do sound as though they claim to make a good difference. I'm using 1/8" stereo-> 1/4" mono and especially with the VBeats I get some odd ducking behaviour which I've been told is a direct result of using the cables I am using.

The difference with the Ebay cable is night and day! The volume at least doubles with it and there is no noise. I'm thinking I just need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mono-Jack-Female-3-5mm-Plug/dp/B0002ZPFBC
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should do the trick of stopping the mono signal having it's amplitude halved, but it'll also remove the ground which may bring in some noise, but considering that it was a balanced signal to start with it may not bring in any noise at all.

Those adaptors go for like 2 dollars (au) at the electronic components store, so maybe try a cheap one to make sure it works first, then if it's good, grab a nicer one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: