Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gigging w Module and volume in to PA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
normalkeyboa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: gigging w Module and volume in to PA Reply with quote

Because I'm old and in band that has 2 dedicated practice spaces I ended up leaving synth keyboards there so I don't have to schlep. At home I play midi controller w sec gen ipad w Module, Sampletank, and of course Garageband. (I also have Nord EX which I schlep for paid or more important gigs). As band has developed I've ended up using more non-standard sounds on certain songs. Naturally since the different keyboards have different sound sources, even similar sounds (i.e. brass) do not sound the same on the different boards. I have this idea that I can just use Module for all locations and treat all the boards as controllers. (I picked Module over Sampletank and GB of set list function, which I find valuable, although I do like current Sampletank lets you do splits pretty easily, but I don't use splits as much with current band's material). My problem, discovered today, is that Module on the ipad just doesn't seem to put out enough volume (going in to Bose L1). If I crank up ipad volume all the way, the L1 distorts. If I leave it at 80% sound is clean but not loud enough even w mixer gain up. What's even more bizarre is if I run Module on my iphone SE to the L1, volume is fine. (The iphone is actually really good, but the screen is too small, it doesn't have set list feature, and the battery only lasts about 45m when connected to PA, although hours with headphones). I didn't get to try other apps so do have to experiment some more.

I'm curious if anyone else has similar problem? It would be great if I could use just the ipad and Module for practices and gigs. I'm also a little nervous about depending upon a 1/8 TRS from ipad to PA for a paid gig. Been thinking about small mixer or pre-amp or direct box or some combo but curious if anyone else has found similar issues and / or solutions.

Thanks, N
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this but I plug the iPad into a mixing desk. There are volume adjustments in the various instruments that are not set to full by default. You may get enough by turning them up in the software. Otherwise, a small mixer would easily solve this.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the volume of Module. I find it is a little lower than the other apps I have like iGrand, SampleTank etc.
Here are some suggestions.
First and foremost get yourself one of the new USB 3 Connection adaptors from Apple which also allow charging while you have midi connection. You will never run out of juice again.
Secondly, consider getting an Audio Interface that is iOS compatible and has a decent pre-amp. You will than have both volume boost as well as reliable 1/4" outs. I'm using a Steinberg UR22mk2 that does a good job. You can either use the 5 pin midi in or alternatively just use it with a powered hub for USB midi.
Thirdly, I've tried just about every app and sound source available for iPad/iPhone and can't go past the bs-16i app for performance. You have 16 tracks with faders/mutes/layering/splitting options as well as the ability to load Soundfonts. I have a collection of high quality sounds available for free from my site.

PS - the Apple connection kit mentioned above is for iPads/iPhones with lightning port. It may not suit iPad 2 but should be fine for the iPhone. I use the bs-16i app all the time with my iPhone 6s and find the screen is plenty large enough.
normalkeyboa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: gigging w Module and volume in to PA Reply with quote

Thanks, I did try hooking up my iphone SE to my Roland DuoCapture EX and it did seem to help, although still haven't tried it to the Bose L1. My ipad 2 is stuck in the past since Apple ruined the 30 pin CCK, no way to connect to interface. I have the bs-16i app which works well on the ipad 2 (using IK 30 pin midi) but when I try to change settings it creates severe latency and I have to exit and restart.

I'll pick up one of those USB3 adapters and check out your site, thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: