Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

akai are back to standalone
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
o.w.t.m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: akai are back to standalone Reply with quote

https://www.google.dk/amp/s/www.gearnews.com/leak-new-akai-mpc-live-images-guide-get-leaked-fcc/amp/?client=ms-android-om-lge&espv=1
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news; thanks.
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same one which has got "an internal, rechargeable battery which we are told has a battery life of up to 5 hours" then that's very unimpressive for this user.

Batteries should be easily replaceable - and what use will its portability be two to three years down the road after constant charging and discharging? Nowhere near its fresh capability, that's for sure! Confused

Korg's allowing us to easily and cheaply replace batteries in their portable units, is the better way for all of us. Methinks one of these years, nothing is surer than that the powers above us will one day ban internal batteries which cannot easily nor cheaply be replaced.

Meanwhile ten years on, my E2 will be every single bit as portable as it was on the day I bought it, but what use will those "5 hours" of battery life be by then!!? Perhaps as much as 40 minutes before needing a recharge. That'll be useless.

Musical instruments of any kind, must be built to last, and not guaranteed to worsen, barring an expensive and cumbersome (send it back to manufacturer & wait...) process, as the years wear on.
Loudest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with the remarks concerning the battery

That said, the Akai MPC Live seems a lot more powerful than the E2 series ....

And for the price of the E2 + E2s we have something far superior ...
Korg should have made the whole on the same machine, from the beginning...
They wanted we buy both, but...

we end up with two very limited products
while the Akai MPC Live seems to be the modern groovebox everyone expected
(with modern specifications/features...)
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. To think I was actually considering buying a second hand e2s! Now I can finally rid myself of my e2 and be done with korg's fake polyphony, crap updated sequencer, poor use interface, and all those bugs!

Though, from what I hear, akai are just as bad with regard to bugs, but at least it's a quality piece of kit costing less than both tribes, yet can do far far more! More proof of over pricing by korg!
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. To think I was actually considering buying a second hand e2s! Now I can finally rid myself of my e2 and be done with korg's fake polyphony, crap updated sequencer, poor use interface, and all those bugs!

Though, from what I hear, akai are just as bad with regard to bugs, but at least it's a quality piece of kit costing less than both tribes, yet can do far far more! More proof of over pricing by korg!

Does that mean you'll finally f**k off from here now? Very Happy

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fuckin' way! Wink
Blue Monster 65

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
... it's a quality piece of kit costing less than both tribes ...

Not quite. US price is $1199 - the Tribes cost $399 each. Elsewhere may be slightly different, but the European prices I've seen are compatible to these as well.

No plans (that I have seen) for any sort of VST integration as of yet, but there are 8 tracks of stereo audio available (standalone), which means you can record your own synth (and other instruments) in alongside whatever samples you're using.

I've never been an MPC user, but this looks interesting to me. Would it replace my EMX? I don't know ... nothing has yet, so we'll see ...
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uk e2 release price was £435 e2s was also £435. Total for both £870
Akai release price £799

I made the mistake of selling my original ER-1 and EA-1. I won't be selling my EMX-1 or ESX-1, just that shitty new tribe that shouldn't be called an electribe. The whole point of the electribes was ease of use, the new gen are nothing of the sort.

I've used it so little because it's so uninspiring to use that I don't even know how to edit gate times properly! On the old tribes you simply select gate time and adjust the length. On the new ones each pad represents length but I think you need to actually change each pad's gate time to lengthen the note. How is changing note length on anything up to 64 pads easier than selecting each note? Korg have some fuckin' weird ideas!!!
Blue Monster 65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£435? Wow - that seems high.

However, at their current price of £335 (Thomann UK online) each, they do come close to the MPC. That seems a shame. I was never privy to Korg's pricing schemes outside of the US, so I have no idea why the discrepancy.

I thought the new Electribe was fairly easy to use, even with some of the arcane choices Korg made. For myself, it didn't bring anything new to the party, so I returned it in with 30 days. I am impressed with those who stuck with it and have made interesting music. As for me, though, I'll stick with my EMX. Sorry to hear you sold your ER-1 and EA-1; those were fun machines back in the day. It's nice to know they're still being used!
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were £435 on release, obviously prices drop. As will the Akai's.

Only reason I kept the e2 was for use as a controller. I did mess about with it a few times but it's just not as intuitive for me as the first 2 gen's.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From those posts criticising the ES2 you made - it was clear you never had one and yu never had a F*cking clue.

Now you can go have no F*cking clue with an Akai
Smile
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! Someone's got their knickers in a twist. But then that's all you can expect from people on this forum! I've had so much of it for speaking nothing but truth about how korg utterly f***ed up the new tribes.

By the way, you're very observant, I already stated I didn't have an es2, but do have an e2. Muppet!

There's little difference between the two machines and I bet there's zero difference between the two sequencers. So next time you post abuse, try to read the comments beforehand and actually think,if you are able, about what's been said, instead of getting all puffed up with anger and replying in haste.

Have a good day Wink
bladuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose from the hardware point of view the Akai will be more powerful compared to Electribes. BUT can you get the same workflow (minus the Electribe edit crapy mode) from akai ? Automation, grooves, instant access to any of the 8 stereo channels ?

BTW can somebody enlighten me on the effects in MPX live ? can I chain effects, how about master effects ?
Also from the demo the UX (touch interface) is not as intuitive as some IOS apps are.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At no stage did i make a claim you *didn't* have an E2.

No idea where you got that from - maybe it's the voices...?

I suggest you consider your/their advice before replying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: