Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Load your own custom samples into Krome - Finally!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Load your own custom samples into Krome - Finally! Reply with quote

I haven't seen too much mention of this software on the forum so I'd like to point people to the new version of Kromatic 4.7.1.1. Written by Kobayashi Shinsuke (with English translation of the manual by yours truly) the program lets you import samples from .WAV files, create multisamples, and install them on an SD card for import into your Krome at startup. It currently runs in a Windows environment only (I've tried it on Windows 8 and 10, YMMV.)

Kromatic also has several filters that contribute to making things sound better once they're loaded into Krome. Read the documentation for complete information.

This program goes a long way toward making the Krome a useful tool for performance. For a recent gig, I programmed in many of the samples for "Uptown Funk" and it was a huge hit with the audience. (Sorry, I can't share them because copyright, etc. But you can make your own!)

To get the file, go to the author's download web page that accepts donations so he can continue to improve the program. Unfortunately it's in Japanese but if you use the Chrome browser just right-click and select, "Translate to English" or whatever language you understand. After doing this, follow the instructions and please give generously.

Note: This software is not endorsed, supported nor approved by Korg in any way. Treat it like the hobbyist project that it is. Use it at your own risk.

Last edited by prgtrdr on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:59 pm; edited 7 times in total
aztrid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't download it.

"Downloading was canceled due to access from a link source not recommended, such as a direct link to a file."

I can't right click and download, either.
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aztrid wrote:
I can't download it.

Sorry, better to go to the author's web page using the Google Chrome browser, right-click to translate Japanese to English, and select the "Download from here," "Go to the download page," and "Download now" buttons.

I know he's working on getting an English-language site, but this is something you can do right now.

Don't forget to leave a donation if you like the software. He's asking for about $5, well worth it!
aztrid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mac version, though ...
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aztrid wrote:
No Mac version, though ...

If you'd like to donate a Mac development machine, the author may choose to support it. Wink

Isn't there a way to run Windows in a Mac virtual machine? If you test this configuration please report back here on success/failure.
aztrid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I can use an emulator, but that only works with the Windows os, so I will have to buy that as well.

Kromatic still works with Mac, though. I have figured out how to convert a wav file into META.IMG and SAMPLE.IMG

Now, I only need to figure out how to load them from the SD Card and on to my Korg Krome.

I would love to donate or even pay full price for the software, if it came with elaborate instructions on how to make my Korg Krome play my custom samples.
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aztrid wrote:
I have figured out how to convert a wav file into META.IMG and SAMPLE.IMG

Now, I only need to figure out how to load them from the SD Card and on to my Korg Krome.

I would love to donate or even pay full price for the software, if it came with elaborate instructions on how to make my Korg Krome play my custom samples.

I think your question is answered on Page 2 of the manual:
Quote:
The tone files META.IMG and SAMPLE.IMG (stored in the DEMO folder) are the tone files that have been generated using KROMATIC. To use them, please prepare an SD card for use in the KROME as described on Page 118 of the Krome Operating Guide. Once this is complete, use your computer to copy these two files to the root of the SD card. Note that it is necessary for the two files META.IMG and SAMPLE.IMG to be stored in the root directory of the SD card. They will not be loaded if you save them in a sub-folder.

Turn OFF the power to the KROME keyboard, verify that the SD card is inserted, then turn ON the power. After the boot screen appears, a % completion bar is displayed as usual, followed by a screen of timbre data displayed as follows.
aztrid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thank you. The Kromatool I downloaded did not come with a manual, only a jar file Smile
aztrid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now downloaded the Kromatic manual also, and the demos. I succeeded in loading the demo files into the Korg Krome an playing them back (do re mi etc).

I have also encoded a .raw file from my own sample, then created META.IMG and SAMPLE.IMG with Kromatool. However, when I load them into the Krome, they sound awful. Like, they're slowed down and in a very poor quality.

Is that because I should use Kromatic instead of Kromatool?
CherryPistolKeys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

What is the upper usable playback time for samples that are contained in the .IMG files? Is it limited to less than 30 seconds, or can longer samples be loaded?

I'm sure there is no limit in the program, only wondering about the limit of the available RAM in the Krome that handles these samples.
Kurzweil K2000 and K2000R
Roland D-50
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland A-30
Alesis QSR
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aztrid wrote:

To be clear: the software I'm referring to here is Kromatic. It has nothing to do with Kromatool.

I used some early versions of Kromatool and while it reflected some really good work by cyph, it didn't have a good user interface nor documentation. In any case, he's not distributing it anymore so I recommend moving to Kromatic. (Cyph, if I'm wrong, please LMK.)

On the other hand, Kromatic is easy enough to use through it's GUI, has ample documentation, and has been tested.
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

CherryPistolKeys wrote:
What is the upper usable playback time for samples that are contained in the .IMG files? Is it limited to less than 30 seconds, or can longer samples be loaded?

I'm sure there is no limit in the program, only wondering about the limit of the available RAM in the Krome that handles these samples.

Good question. On Page 18 of the manual:
Quote:
Currently, KROMATIC supports additional sample files of up to 16MB, therefore, the sum of all Sample data many not exceed 16MB. The Data capacity indicator displays how much of the 16MB Sample data is currently used.

I believe 16MB is the size of the available RAM on the Krome, so that's why the file has that limitation. (Would be great if some of the hardware geeks on the forum verified this and maybe figured out a way to expand it!) That being said, the amount of samples you can fit in 16MB varies depending on factors such as stereo vs mono (the former takes 2x the space,) etc.

A suggestion: why don't you experiment with it and report back your findings here and to Kobayashi-san (@shinsukekobayashi.software@gmail.com)?

Last edited by prgtrdr on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
aztrid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prgtrdr wrote:
aztrid wrote:

To be clear: the software I'm referring to here is Kromatic. It has nothing to do with Kromatool.

I used some early versions of Kromatool and while it reflected some really good work by cyph, it didn't have a good user interface nor documentation. In any case, he's not distributing it anymore so I recommend moving to Kromatic. (Cyph, if I'm wrong, please LMK.)

On the other hand, Kromatic is easy enough to use through it's GUI, has ample documentation, and has been tested.

Problem is, Kromatic doesn't work on Mac OS. I tried installing on a Win emulator, but did not succeed.

I guess I will have to go and borrow myself a PC, then ...
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aztrid wrote:
Problem is, Kromatic doesn't work on Mac OS. I tried installing on a Win emulator, but did not succeed.

I guess I will have to go and borrow myself a PC, then ...

A suggestion: give more details about how you tried to run it, what happened, etc., post them here and email them to the author, Kobayashi-san. For example, include the following information:
    Hardware details, including machine type, CPU, RAM, etc.
    Software environment details, i.e., OS version, Emulator program name and version, version of the .NET libraries, etc.
    What messages you received when you tried to run the program.
    At what point did the program stop working?

I'm not a Mac guy but there may be some people on the forum with suggestions.

NB: On Page 1 of the manual, it states as a prerequisite:
Quote:
KROMATIC uses the .NET Framework 4.6.2. Accordingly, before using, ensure you have installed .NET Framework 4.6.2 on your
computer.

Check to make sure your emulator has this Framework version or later.
aztrid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying again, with a different emulator. I tried to install it at one using Windows 7, and had to install .net framework first, but even after I did that I did not succeed in installing Kromatic.

Now I am trying with Parallels uding Windows 8.1 (for which I didn't need a license). It is currently installing the .net framework which apparently takes very long to do. I am hoping to succeed with Kromatic this time around Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: