Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which analog to complement Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a lot to choose from.

The OB6 might indeed be good but to be honest, too expensive for what I'm loooking for.

I like hardware interfaces that encourage you to create your sounds and to boost your creativity.

Will have a closer look at Prophet 6, KS, and other suggestions.

Thanks again
TJ80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Referring to a previous post, I can concur that the Jupiter 80 does an excellent job of emulating analogue instruments, despite the unjustified criticism levelled at it. I also have a Virus which sounds great but to my ears, somewhat harsh. The Prophet 08 is worthy of consideration and reasonably priced. I tried the Prophet 6 and although it's sounds wonderful, I couldn't justify the expense. You could have a look at the Roland JDXa, don't be put off my its appearance! Smile
Jeremy Bender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Prophet 6 which goes really well with the Kronos - a lovely inspiring synth with a great arp...

A bit pricey but worth it overall.
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M3 61 with Radias EXP, DSI Prophet 6,Moog Voyager, Korg MS-20 kit, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg Legacy Collection, Roland JV1080, Roland D10, EDP Wasp, Roland TR606 Drumatix, Ableton Live, Ableton Push
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter 80, the Virus and and the entire Novation line aren't analog synths, they're VAs.

Honestly I thought the Prophet 08 was a big disappointment, just completely uninspiring. I can't really say why, I just thought it was dull. So much so that it was a big surprise to me that I liked the 6 so much.
IAA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Kronos for all VA duties,pianos and organs. I got the prophet 6 which I love, its great to program, sounds wonderful and the sequencer is so simple that you just end up getting it playing a bass riff and letting the Kronos rip!
I think the P6 is a very capable (and thus far reliable) analog friend to a Kronos.
chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of votes for the P6.

Nobody did try the DSI Pro 2 ? Interested to know if this would be a good analog complement to Kronos...
slowtrain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro 2 gets a lot of love on the gearslutz forum. I'd read the Pro 2 thread there if you're considering it. It's Dave Smith's favorite synth. I like the Sub 37 though. They're both great synths
chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
You may consider Behringer DeepMind12.

Has anyone tried this one together with Kronos?

Does it sound different analog wise and can we come close to OB-Xa sounds with this beast?
arne v

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also considering some analog stuff alongside my Kronos, R3 and MPC TOUCH. I was considering the arturia matrixbrute, but today i saw the Dave smith REV 2 analog synth with 8 or 16(!) voices for 1999USD Shocked
Maybe that would be a choice?
What to choose Rolling Eyes

I love the VirusT12, but its still an expensive HW (almost 3K USD) and im not sure about the Behringer.. Wink
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
Rigel wrote:
You may consider Behringer DeepMind12.

Has anyone tried this one together with Kronos?

Does it sound different analog wise and can we come close to OB-Xa sounds with this beast?

I have a DeepMind (bottom left). As you can see in the pic, it is small, not that it is an issue. If you want the OB sound, I would spend a little more and get the OB-6, which has a lot of that flavor. DeepMind is modelled on the Roland Juno 106.

The DeepMind is a nice little synth, I've only had it for 2 days. First impressions are that it is a little redundant sitting next to Kronos and AL-1 A lot of that has to do with the DeepMind's digital effects, which makes a lot patches sound like they could be from a digital synth. Frankly, you have that in spades with Kronos, but there is definitely an analogue flavor with the DeepMind.

As you might know, the DeepMind has 2 oscillators, one has a saw and pulse wave, while oscillator 2 is strictly a square wave, with some tone modulation. A lot of people wished that the second oscillator was more full featured. What this means, is that a patch starts out kind of thin. There's no sub-osc. The good news is that it can do up to 12 voice unison, so you can fatten up things that way.

The DeepMind offers some analogue pizzazz, ie DCOs with drift settings, a punchy filter (the resonance on this thing can literally scream), some really great modulation routings, etc. But, I think the OB6 sounds better.

SanderXpander wrote:
Honestly I thought the Prophet 08 was a big disappointment, just completely uninspiring. I can't really say why, I just thought it was dull. So much so that it was a big surprise to me that I liked the 6 so much.

A big difference was that the Prophet 8 had a low pass Curtis filter, while the Prophet 6 has the Pro 2's low pass Discrete, plus high pass.

Last edited by Mike Conway on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
Wow, a lot to choose from.

The OB6 might indeed be good but to be honest, too expensive for what I'm loooking for.

I like hardware interfaces that encourage you to create your sounds and to boost your creativity.

Will have a closer look at Prophet 6, KS, and other suggestions.

Thanks again

Have you looked at the OB6 module?
chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and Beetotti for your inputs.

Yes the OB-6 would be a good thing but out of my budget.

Am interested to know if the DM12 can have some fatter analogness than the Kronos especially compared to AL-1. AL-1 is good but it does sound very digital on my opinion. This is where I'm interested to know if DM12 can fill this gap especially in the lower end of the spectrum (fat bass sounds, deep pads, ...). I assume it might do the work better than Roland System 8...
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my work concludes, tomorrow, I'll post some audio for you. There are also quite a few demos on youtube, now.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes even the OB6 module is 2300$us give or take a bit.

Have you followed any of the how to program analog tutorials for AL1 that Dan put up a few years ago. I actually thought they sounded quite respectable and if that could work for you it would save some cash. As a little side besides really wanting an OB6 myself I also would like a sub 37 and minilogue. The last two being much more reasonable priced. I have not had a chance to play anpro2 but on hearing it it would seem worthy of consideration as well. Good luck
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Hi Chris,

I have a Supernova 2 as well as a KS Rack. The Supernova tends to be regarded by many as a classic synth, but I much prefer the KS Rack - more waveforms to play with, better sound and generally more solid in certain ways.

And both are not analog Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: