Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which headphones do you use with your Volcas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedrovieira99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Which headphones do you use with your Volcas? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am willing to buy a $200 pair of headphones to use with my volca keys and other small synths.

Can you recommend any?

I have been considering the AKG K712 PRO and the Sennheiser HD 380 PRO.

Does anyone own one of these?

Thanks.
Dragan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your logic: why would you get $200 high-end headphones for $150 low-end synth?
pedrovieira99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough! Smile
I did not explain myself correctly.
I am an amateur electronic music producer (I'd like to think!), and I am looking for my first set of (semi?)-professional headphones, to connect to my laptop (right now I have a Novation X-station and a Behringer QX1002USB, both can be used as audio interfaces).

I will use the headphones for mixing or just listening to my own jams.
I have 2 volcas and few other synths, which sound fair enough through my Roland MA-20 speakers, but sound cheesy through cheap headphones.

My goal with this post was to understand what should I take in consideration while choosing the headphones, in what regards listening directly to the volcas. For instance, impedance cannot be too high, since we are talking about battery-powered low-end synths, like you said.

Also, I suppose that frequency response should be as flat as possible, regarding listening to synths. Would you agree?
Pigdog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: headphones Reply with quote

i use sennheisser hd 280 pros. $100 and they sound great.
smutek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragan wrote:
I don't understand your logic: why would you get $200 high-end headphones for $150 low-end synth?

Believe it or not, the "high-end" headphones can be used for a lot more than listening to the "low-end" synth. They can be used with a DAW, for example. Or, they can be used for listening to music, or even watching a movie.

Skies the limit actually.

All things considered I think all of these little boxes sound pretty good, and don't understand the logic that a low price point would somehow mean they can't be used with pricier equipment.

Like, I see YouTube videos where people are running their Volca Keys through their Strymon Big Sky and their Eventide Time Factor, and inevitably someone in the comments is like "Why would you run your $150 synth through a $1000 pedal chain?".

The answer is "Why wouldn't I, and why do you care?" I don't understand why someone would pursue any sort of creative endeavor when they are so unimaginative that they'd even ask a question like that in the first place.

[ / rant ]

To the OP, I have Audio Technica ATH M50x and have been really happy with them. Here's a review on GearSlutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1009081-audio-technica-ath-m50x.html
ditto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: headphones Reply with quote

Pigdog wrote:
i use sennheisser hd 280 pros. $100 and they sound great.

+1 here.

My favorite's listening through the monitors, though.
pedrovieira99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up buying Sennheiser HD 380 PRO, and I am happy with them. I cannot really compare with other headphones of the same kind since these are the only ones I own. For general music listening they sound really clear and the bass is good while not exagerated.

For my synths, they serve well as an alternative to my monitor speakers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: