Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DJs in the local music scene

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnbutt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: DJs in the local music scene Reply with quote

I have been a keyboard musician for over 40 years playing gigs in the bar scene in downtown Toronto (which paid my way through university I might add) as a "weekend warrior" and moved up to Thunder Bay, Ont. in 1988 with a company. I continued gigging an assortment of venues over the years, performing mainly for fun with a local 70's & 80's cover band until a few years ago. What I have found, however, is that, other than for a few successful bars offering a Saturday night for some local live bands or those touring through, that the DJ scene is almost everywhere now as a source of entertainment.

Recently, my wife and I went to an event which happened to feature a DJ and I could not believe his show including lighting set-up, large projection TV's showing video's, huge sound, the guy was a great entertainer with showmanship, I was really surprised by the evening. I don't know what his fee would have been but it was an impressive evening.

What is happening to the live music industry. This city of about 110,000 has some country bands, folk bands and some rock bands but it just seems like the music audience has changed and DJ's are taking a good share now of events in the music business, I don't really think of them as "musicians".

It is me or is live performance music slowly changing ? I am 60 now and see people addicted to their phones, ipads, mp3s, walking around oblivious everywhere with ear buds. My new grandson will be 2 yrs of age in May. What will the music scene look like when he's 20 ?

A bit of an old fart rant today from a kid who learned to play the piano note by note every week with a wonderful music teacher. It just bugs me a bit that dinner events, parties, weddings, reunions, dances are almost all hosted by DJs now rather than live bands. Are things changing or is it just me ? ?Great forum ! thanks folks. Long live authentic live music. Cheers.
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
DaniH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it might have to be where you live and the type of music. I live in Tampa, Florida and the scene here is pretty well. I can go to a lot of places for different types of music for live bands. As well as many bars for dj's.

Dj's have taken over a lot of places though. Ever since pop and top 40 crap took over around 2009 dj's are more common. It also has to do with the hardware/software. Now anyone can be a dj with little effort. Not bashing either.

I moved away from djing in 2008 to focus on production more. I love playing and making my own music compared to playing someone else's. Again nothing wrong with being a dj as I was once one. I tried to play live at places but people would rather hear a dj mix the popular stuff.

Me personably I love both but would rather go to a live act.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: