Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Real Size of Kronos RAM Supports and Releases?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thiagotgc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: What Real Size of Kronos RAM Supports and Releases? Reply with quote

I have installed 4GB of RAM my my Kronos 1.

The system only recognizes 3GB, and only frees 2GB for Samples.

Is correct?

I see many saying that for samples they are 3GB total, but in my it only appears 2GB, see the image.

Kronos 1 61
2x 2GB Ram
SSD1 30GB
SSD2 120GB

NormC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct.
thiagotgc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
That is correct.

So all Kronos recognizes 3GB installed, only (not 4GB) and only frees 2GB
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos only uses 3GB RAM. 1GB of this is used for the operating system and the ROM sample data, leaving 2GB to be shared between EXs sample data, user sample banks and sampling mode.

Drummond

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if you have 3 or 4gb installed. In either scenarios you'll have 2gb for samples. And with those 2gb you can access around 55gb of sample content beucase of hard drive streaming.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nows the time to sort through sample management and figure out what has the option to be streamed from "virtual memory" disk.
I never select RAM as a storage option. RAM is what i use for when the system offers no other option.
And going by that, i have tons of memory space. "Virtual memory" is the kronos term for disk streamed content.
"Memory" is the term for RAM.

There are also options to sample wave file direct to external USB drive and even play back from External USB drive, but the streaming of it in engines or sequencer requires moving files to internal SSD.

Sample management and shuffling things around the various media, makes for virtually unlimited content on all levels. Even entire EX collections can be removed, replaced and restored again when needed. I guess the cache for authorization codes would be the actual limit but even those can be uninstalled and you hold on to the code for when you want the sound set back. And the uninstalled sound sets can store externally until needed again. It is extra work but not much once you get the hang of sorting banks to sound sets installed, because thats where it can get confusing.

It just takes some effort and keeping good track to make it all work despite having enough sound sets to overflow ram and virtual memory capacity in one auto load setup.

Maybe you already know this but it is good info for people who may get the idea that Kronos could be low on memory at 3gb max.
Virtual memory is way up depending on if you have 30gb ssd or the 60gb ssd.
Either way, rotating content in and out via external storage, makes it virtually unlimited.
I cant Imagine needing to rotate through loading sample sets or EX collections in the middle of a show. Sample manage and PCG creation can come together to make a huge custom auto load setup. Even at my auto load set up i see around 20 EX libraries at a time.
Even if each of my gig sets has a sound from a separate EX collection, i can go through around 20 sets in just one auto load. Thats just what i have tapped into. i suspect i can fit more in there before needing to consider rotating loaded EX libraries and eventually rotating through installed EX collections.

3gb is plenty considering it is just the tip of the iceberg.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
with those 2gb you can access around 55gb of sample content beucase of hard drive streaming.

In DFD (direct from disk) samples reading method , the magnitude of saving Ram is proportional to the actual duration of samples !
Every sample needs approximately 0.8 Mb minimum of Ram space in case sample is streamed from SSD (attack portion),
so the smaller the samples the less Ram space you gain ...

I wrote in forum before 4 years , that I had managed to load 56 Gb of piano samples (14 pianos of 4 Gb) filling 1920 Mb of free Ram
(and could had reached 100Gb with bigger samples) , but each sample's duration was 40 seconds and if the size per sample was
800 Kb like loop samples , then 2400 samples X 0.8 Mb = 1920 Mb summary = 1920 Mb of free Ram !
It's obvious that in the second case you save no Ram space in streaming mode , so according to my experience , the average size
of various samples of any kind , that Ram can handle in streaming mode , is approximately 22 Gb (result of http://wavesart.eu/KronosEXs/X-Bundle2.html).

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Drummond

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info Antony, I said 55gb because I had read it on your original post Razz Very Happy But I get it now!
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
"Drummond"I said 55gb because I had read it on your original post Razz Very Happy

He - he , I thought so Very Happy

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
scohof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am still struggling with loading the Preloads and EX collections 11, 12, and 19 into my Kronos2 3G of RAM at start up. It is showing me short about 100m of RAM. I've tried the Virtual Memory thing, etc. Are you saying there is a way to do that without an external drive? Your help would be sincerely apprectiated.
scohof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am still struggling with loading the Preloads and EX collections 11, 12, and 19 into my Kronos2 3G of RAM at start up. It is showing me short about 100m of RAM. I've tried the Virtual Memory thing, etc. Are you saying there is a way to do that without an external drive? Your help would be sincerely appreciated.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohof wrote:
Are you saying there is a way to do that without an external drive?

I really don't understand what do you mean with this ... all comercial Kronos libraries like EXs 11/19 are installing their
archieve encrypted samples files only in Boot SSD/system partition and the option of installing in a second SSD concerns
only PCG & preloading KSC (some Megabytes only).

So the available KSC file for loading those EXs , is only in streaming format that you can add it in preload menu and if your
available free Ram is enough , then will be loaded normally at start up , else a warning window will appear of "not enough memory"
which means that you have to unload other resources to free some Ram.

Hope this helps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: