Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to check if a Trinity has MOSS ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDuff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: How to check if a Trinity has MOSS ? Reply with quote

I've been offered a so-called Trinity V3.

Its OS is 3.0.0 but its panel does *not* bear a "V3" logo on it.

I want to check that it is a true V3 i.e. that it actually has a MOSS board, and not a basic Trinity with an upgraded OS but without a MOSS board.

How could I check that ?

Thanks.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you switch on the Trinity, does it show a large "V3" logo when it boots up?

Also, when booted up, press the Prog button, then press the Bank button several times to toggle between banks. Along with the usual 'A' and 'B' banks (and/or 'C' & 'D' if you happen to have a PBS-TRI installed), if you have a Moss-board installed you should also see an 'M' bank.

Unfortunately a Trinity without a MOSS-TRI is not a V3, even if it has the V3 OS installed.

If you do have a Moss-TRI, the latest OS version is 3.1.2.

Otherwise the latest OS version for all Trinitys without Moss-TRI is 2.4.1. This is particularly important for Solo-TRI owners as Solo-TRI specifically requires OS version 2.x in order to be recognised, if installed.
JohnDuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.

I have not seen it yet. Here are pictures from the classified ad:

Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's a V3, otherwise it would recognise the Moss-TRI during the boot sequence and show the "V3" logo accordingly. It also lacks a pink 'V3' sticker on the far right of the keyboard, which was often present on shop-bought V3's, although of course this shouldn't be relied on given people chop and change expansion options.

It appears no other expansion boards are detected either, though, or they would show up as text (under the V3 logo) during the boot sequence too, so it looks like it's a stock Trinity.

Given that OS 3.x has been installed and a Moss board hasn't been detected, it means it's not a V3 and cannot be sold as such. No Moss = no V3.

Ideally the Trinity pictured should use OS version 2.4.1, as OS version 3.x specifically refers to Moss-TRI functionality only.
JohnDuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Timo.

I have just called the seller and I asked him if it is has a MOSS board.

He immediately understood what I meant and he answered: 'no, it does not have a MOSS board, it is an original Trinity and its OS has been upgraded to V3'.
VegasGroove

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, without the MOSS board then the V3.x OS upgrade has no benefits at all above or beyond the 2.4.1 version. In fact, it could actually hurt; if the SOLO-TRI board were ever installed on a 3.x then the Trinity would not be able to access the bank of Solo sounds at all (Bank S). You would need to downgrade to 2.x
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: mistaken os for v3 Reply with quote

just because it has version 3.0 software which was updated to install the V3, doent make it a V3. Or if it has a V3 sticker. It can also have a V3 moss board in it and not be connected like the one I found. Always look inside. I found a MOSS board in one I bought for parts and sold it for $500.00.
demac209

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: It happened to me Reply with quote

i ended up looking for a cheap set of keys that would make a good light controller and I found a trinity for $200, bought it from the guy and didn't even turn it on until I got home, turned it on and it's v3 installed just no sticker
kurzweil pc88
Rhodes VK1000
Kawai mp9000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: