Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard amp settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Keyboard amp settings Reply with quote

Hi,

I have Korg PA 600 and keyboard amp Laney AH 150, which I use as a monitor when playing with my band or PA if playing on my own in a small venue.

The issue I have relates to sound coming out, which does not seem to be as crispand clear as with keyboard's speakers themselves. Piano sounds a bit muddy like there is too much reverb hall in it, not as soft and pleasant as on keyboard. Some other sounds too. At the moment I get the most natural sound when I set all equaluzers (5 of them) to minus 12. If I have them all flat at zero, they are not as clear and I get this slightly muddy sound. Is it normal to have all equilazers set at minus12? Is there a general pattern how to set these equalizers (low, mid, treble)? Should keyboard internal equalizers be on or off? I have been experimenting good few week and driving myself crazy with this. Any experience or advise welcome.

Thank you
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without actually hearing a sample of the sound, it's not possible to give a definitive answer. There could be several things worth considering here.

The Laney AH150 is essentially a mono amplifier system. Even though it will accept stereo signals, these mix internally down to a mono signal chain, and the sound output comes from one loudspeaker source (actually a bass speaker unit and tweeter) connected to a mono amplifier. The piano sounds in particular depend, for their richnesss and spatial characteristics, on being heard in stereo. So two Laney AH150s (one for the left channel audio and one for the right) are going to sound better than one.

Secondly, if any internal reverb effects are being used on the Laney, try setting all the effects controls to minimum, even on the unused channels, in case there is internal crosstalk between the inputs.

Thirdly, if the 5-band EQ controls all need to be set at minimum to give the best sound, it could be that the amplifier section immediately after the EQ section is being overloaded. Try turning the input level control lower and increasing the Master Volume control to a higher setting to produce the required sound volume.

Hopefully this will help.
kasko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply. It makes lots of sense. I will keep experimenting using your guidelines.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: