Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overwrite GM bank sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breeze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Overwrite GM bank sounds Reply with quote

Is it possible to overwrite sounds of GM/XG banks?
I would like to sostitute GM sounds with some factory sounds so when I play GM midi files they will use automatically best sound

Thanks
Snoopy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

that would absolutely make no sense...

Just because the keyboard has the GM/XG sounds it´s able to play standard-midi-files.

The only way is to change the sounds in the appropriate midi-files manually.

But even if you do this it won´t sound better, because only changing the voice doesn´t help. You´ll only get a "better" sound if you change / add / remove parameters of sounds, like, reverb, aftertouch etc in accordance to the new sound you select.

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
breeze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I don't agree with you.

If I sostitute drum Standard Kit GM with factory Rock Kit 2 Amp the midi sounds better (for my taste) as well as if I sostitute Steel Guitar GM with SteelGtrPro DNC.

Midi files can't utilize some new features of the new sounds (DNC ...) but can sound better.

In fact if I sostitute sounds manually in sequencer mode, files sounds better.
tommy1340millar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breeze -
Load the midi file into the keyboard, edit the programme on the tracks, and re-save it
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load the SMF into the sequencer and import it, once it's loaded you can then edit the sounds.

If you say select a Acoustic Bass from one of the sound banks and replace a GM bass then press save, beaware though that sometimes SMF contain program changes further on in the sequence and you then find that you start of with the Acoustic Bass preference only to find it reverts to the GM bass later in the track, if the SMF has been written in this fashion you will have to go to Song Edit and scroll through each track and delete any other program changes. Very Happy
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
barry murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ! definitely. The way to go about it is above in post. I have been doing this for some years with a 3x and the best thing about it is you can have an entirely different sound for the song with your own choice of instruments and the song sounds different.
There are some rules you need to obey when doing this. Don,t substitute any sound with an instrument that doesn't have the same kind of tones.eg multi strings with say a whistle. I am so happy with this system that I now spend all my time converting good midis to audio with studio one 3. It's fun and I sometimes even get a vocalist to come in and perform. Be warned tho, some midis are not very good and can't be used.If further help is needed by the OP, I would be happy to help.
Barry
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really time saver for a power user/sound developer to create a Pa3/4X BKP resources file with all GM sounds modified
with new factory DNC sounds for exclusive usage with good midi files , especially if you have custom or commercial 3rd party
advanced sound resources like WavesArt !
You can anytime make a factory restore or load an earlier BKP file of your custom resources.

I've personally customized all GM sound bank of many clients that own full WavesArt PaSeries bundles and the result is just
awesome when playing any SMF !
As already mentioned , fine pro SMF always have program change events and editing the whole SMF requires a lot of time
wasting for every single midi file !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
barry murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes antony. But I have plenty of time to do each track separate. I sometimes will record to audio track 2 or3 times til I find a Instrument that I am happy with. It takes me an afternoon to do it unless it's something like revels belaro which took 2 days. I enjoyed every minute.
Barry
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry , I'm glad for you , but I contrary do not have time to do that in case that I would like to use SMF , thing that I don't !
Also since I do not use any of factory resources in my Pa3/4X , my very reasonable action would be to permanently
overwrite all GM sounds with my custom resources in case that I would ever want to use any decent SMF !
Anyway my previous post was just only a suggestion for anyone that needs that.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
breeze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Barry , I'm glad for you , but I contrary do not have time to do that in case that I would like to use SMF , thing that I don't !
Also since I do not use any of factory resources in my Pa3/4X , my very reasonable action would be to permanently
overwrite all GM sounds with my custom resources in case that I would ever want to use any decent SMF !
Anyway my previous post was just only a suggestion for anyone that needs that.

Hi Antony,
what you write is just what I want to do!
Could you send me your personalized GM bank so I can load it in my pa4x?

Thanks
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Breeze , as I wrote , I do not use Pa4X factory resources but exclusively personalized WavesArt Sound
resources of 800Mb , so by definition those GM sounds of mine need many WavesArt external sound resources ,
otherwise they will not work at all !

aboncev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a little older post or topic, but i hope this will help to somebody. Everyone who said that it is not necessary to change programs from GM to factory or legacy are COMPLETELY WRONG! Midi files who played factory programs instead GM sounds ten times better.
All of you who want to change programs, have to go to event mode, and change or add next control change commands:
for example, if you want "REAL AC. BASS 1" it's CC is 121.013.032
So, you have to add:
Ctrl 0 = 121
Ctrl 32 = 13
Prog 32
I put effort to resolve this, so i know it will help to another user. Please hit THANKS button, if this help to you. It will mean a lot to me. Thank you.
Stilli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboncev wrote:
Maybe this is a little older post or topic, but i hope this will help to somebody. .......... Please hit THANKS button, if this help to you. It will mean a lot to me. Thank you.

I didn't know we had a 'Thanks Button' but thank you anyway, that was very informative. Just wish I knew how to do it.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: