Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos ftp Connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRISWOLD3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Kronos ftp Connection Reply with quote

Hi all - I am using a USB/ Ethernet connector to connect my Kronos to my Win10 computer. I then run Filezilla & establish a connection. So far so good. I can open the drives on the K in Filezilla just fine & navigate through the folders.

My problem is when I map a shortcut to this ftp address. I see my Kronos hard drives but for some reason opening that shortcut does NOT show me recently created folders/ files. I can create a directory on the K & see it instantly in Filezilla but it just doesn't appear in the mapped shortcut.

Any help in solving this mystery would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos ftp Connection Reply with quote

GRISWOLD3 wrote:
Hi all - I am using a USB/ Ethernet connector to connect my Kronos to my Win10 computer. I then run Filezilla & establish a connection. So far so good. I can open the drives on the K in Filezilla just fine & navigate through the folders.

My problem is when I map a shortcut to this ftp address. I see my Kronos hard drives but for some reason opening that shortcut does NOT show me recently created folders/ files. I can create a directory on the K & see it instantly in Filezilla but it just doesn't appear in the mapped shortcut.

Any help in solving this mystery would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Hey Larry - When you say you're mapping a shortcut... What do you mean exactly? I have both my K1 and K2 assigned to the quick-connect dropdown in the top left in Filezilla, so I'm not completely sure what you mean about the shortcut.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how it works for me a well with Filezilla.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GRISWOLD3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have Filezilla working properly & I can create a directory on the Kronos, refresh Filezilla & see it there. My question was referring to mapping a shortcut to the hard drive within Windows Explorer which is friendlier to me. In Explorer I go through the normal methods of mapping the IP address, signing on & naming the connection. So far so good I thought. The problem is bizarre in that when using this method I am not seeing updates to the Kronos drive. It's as if the mapping is not getting refreshed. For me, being a computer guy, I would really like to understand what is wrong. I'm just throwing it out there in case anyone has had similar experience.

On a positive note I started using PCGTools & I think it is awesome. Enigmahack - I have a bunch of your PCG files that I hadn't yet tried. So I opened my main PCG in PCGTools & then one by one opened your PCGs. I was pleasantly surprised that I could copy/ paste within the 2 PCGs. This whole process is much quicker than loading sounds from the keyboard. BTW - you did a nice job with these. Today is a major snow day here in New York and almost all businesses are closed. We're supposed to get 14". Anyway I am home having a blast loading new sounds & learning some new tricks. I wish everyone could have such a peaceful day. I'm on a Kronos induced high Smile

Additionally I'd like to make a donation to PCGTools.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRISWOLD3 wrote:
Yes I have Filezilla working properly & I can create a directory on the Kronos, refresh Filezilla & see it there. My question was referring to mapping a shortcut to the hard drive within Windows Explorer which is friendlier to me. In Explorer I go through the normal methods of mapping the IP address, signing on & naming the connection. So far so good I thought. The problem is bizarre in that when using this method I am not seeing updates to the Kronos drive. It's as if the mapping is not getting refreshed. For me, being a computer guy, I would really like to understand what is wrong. I'm just throwing it out there in case anyone has had similar experience.

On a positive note I started using PCGTools & I think it is awesome. Enigmahack - I have a bunch of your PCG files that I hadn't yet tried. So I opened my main PCG in PCGTools & then one by one opened your PCGs. I was pleasantly surprised that I could copy/ paste within the 2 PCGs. This whole process is much quicker than loading sounds from the keyboard. BTW - you did a nice job with these. Today is a major snow day here in New York and almost all businesses are closed. We're supposed to get 14". Anyway I am home having a blast loading new sounds & learning some new tricks. I wish everyone could have such a peaceful day. I'm on a Kronos induced high Smile

Additionally I'd like to make a donation to PCGTools.

Thank you very much for your donation for PCG Tools, I really appreciate it.

For copying between PCG files, not that program/combi/set lists will sync automatically, for drum kits/wave sequence not (yet). But mostly the drum kits/wave sequences are not changing often between PCG files.

About FTP: I see you already have one started, but in chapter 10 of the manual the installation of Core FTP Light is explained.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also don't need an FTP client. You can map the KRONOS drives to display in Explorer the exact same way your C Drive is displayed right now.

Just map them in as Network Drives.

Regards
Sharp.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I have basic questions about how to connect the Kronos via FTP to my computer. Sorry if what I ask is silly but I'm a total newbie about networking. Embarassed

My computer is connected to a telephony/Internet modem with an Ethernet cable. This modem also happens to have a USB square (not rectangle) connection at the back which enables a second "computer" to be connected (I'm thinking it could be the Kronos).

I was wondering if I could connect the Kronos on this modem USB connection (so without any of the Korg's recommended USB/Ethernet adapter) and if the Kronos could then see my computer and FTP installed on it. Does it make sense or the Kronos only talks on an Ethernet connection and directly to the computer without anything in between (like my modem) ?

I'm asking this because my computer has only one Ethernet connection, and I thought that this way I would not need to constantly reconnect the Ethernet plug to the Korg or Internet, depending on what I'm doing. Or maybe there are Y adapters so I could plug two Ethernet things on my computer (let's say I only use one at a time and never both Korg and Internet) ?

Again, sorry if what I'm asking doesn't make any sense. I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance !
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is common for computers to have just the one Ethernet port.
Most modems have additional ports for connecting multiple inputs…computers for example,(including the Kronos of course).
The plugs are the same at both ends…not exactly square,though…being the suitable RJ type.

However,the Kronos does not have an Ethernet connector,so the usb/Ethernet adapter will be needed.
You will end up having…
Computer to modem.(as per norm).
Kronos via adaptor to modem.
Modem will connect to both.

Also,if you have another computer connected to the modem….you can set up a network between them all.

I personally use the osx (iMac) platform with a suitable usb/Ethernet adapter for the Kronos (there is a list on the forum for compatible ones) and
Cyber-duck ftp client(there are others available) and it works really well.

Hope this helps.

By the way....no need to apologize for asking questions....to quote an old established engineering saying..."If in doubt...Ask".
Other forum members may provide additional information as well, following this.

Best Wishes.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you pedro5 for your reply,

On my modem, unfortunately there is only one Ethernet connection (which is 3rd connector from the left on the pic below, for computer on Internet) and the other one is a USB (see 4th connector from the left on the pic).

So I was thinking maybe connecting the Kronos using a normal USB cable to this USB connector on the modem would make both my computer and the Kronos to see each other. I guess it won't work and I will have to buy some kind of Y adaptor to plug two Ethernet cables to the modem, on top of a Korg recommended USB/Ethernet adaptor ?

Thanks so much again.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and further information.

Not sure if your idea will work....??

However,I think you will need a "router" that would provide additional connections.
A switcher may also work,but it may have limitations regarding multiple simultaneous usage.

I don't have sufficient knowledge about these things....never used any.
Perhaps further google searches may help.

Forgive the vague reply.

Out of interest...
What is that modem ?

Best Wishes.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Pedro5 !

The modem is an Arris TM602 provided by the ISP. I just did a few more tests, trying to connect the computer in the modem USB connection instead of the Ethernet and it doesn't see Internet, so for sure it won't work with the Kronos either.

I will now use your additional info about a router and try to find something online to connect two Ethernet things to the computer at the same time (Internet modem + Kronos).

Thanks a lot again for your help ! Smile
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link provides a good explanation regarding Ethernet connections.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/router-vs-switch-vs-hub/

I would consider a router rather than a switch,a fair low priced (?) selection can be found on amazon.

Had a quick look at the Arris site and they also suggest the method described for additional connections etc.

In my case,lucky to have a combined modem/router supplied by my isp.
Having additional gadgets may become a collection of clutter,but using ftp access for the Kronos is very useful.
Do be aware that messing around with the ssd needs some care and attention.

Best Wishes.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switch boxes all over the place. They seem to work fine with various devices / connections.

The Kronos runs through a switcher.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info....it's good to know.

Best Wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: