Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Gadget for Mac - Release date & price announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Korg Gadget for Mac - Release date & price announced Reply with quote

Release date is set for February 28th, and the introductory price is $199.00, $299.00 after that.

I may just give it a miss - Upgrading Komplete Ultimate to V11 is more important to me at the moment.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Gadget for Mac - Release date & price announced Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Release date is set for February 28th, and the introductory price is $199.00, $299.00 after that.

I may just give it a miss - Upgrading Komplete Ultimate to V11 is more important to me at the moment.

299, logic X is only 199, for a program thats not even half a daw, the price is definately on the high end of the spectrum...

Thats what i like about the ipad, you get the same software at a much much lower price....
laurance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like Logic X, but we always looking for new sounds that certainly can be created by the already included plugins ...

Last edited by laurance on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:20 am; edited 3 times in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have totally overpriced that one I think.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember though, in comparison to the iOS Gadget which includes 15 instruments, the OSX includes all 30.

At normal pricing, iOS Gadget it would look like this:
Gadget $40
Bilboa $10
Abu Dhabi $10
Darwin $30
Gladstone $15
Madrid $15
Kamata $15
Lexington $30
Milpitas $30
Module $40 (Salzburg, Montreal, Alexandria, Firenze)
That's $235 complete, so no it is not significantly more expensive even at regular price than the iOS version.

Apple has a history of devaluing software to sell hardware. If you only want Apple products you're good. But it is unrealistic to think other software developers need price their products relative to Apple. For the most part they haven't and seem to be doing quite well.

It is disappointing that iOS Gadget owners can't get a sizable discount when purchasing the OSX version. I think this is in part due to the inflexibility of the Apple App Store, e.g. upgrades are non-existent. Korg will be selling the OSX version directly. There is no link between the two stores (I don't know that there's a link between the Apple iOS and OSX app stores for that matter).

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing is though on OS X they are competing with things like Maschine, which you can buy in the UK with the micro hardware controller for $335.

Gadget for $300 or Maschine with hardware for $335?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an NI Maschine and really don't get the comparison. There are lots of things you could compare OSX Gadget to, some will make the pricing look fine others expensive.

At full retail, you're getting 30 various synth plugins for $10/each plus a simple DAW-like environment for creating tracks. I'm unsure if I'm going to pick this one up and I buy a lot of this stuff.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Remember though, in comparison to the iOS Gadget which includes 15 instruments, the OSX includes all 30.

At normal pricing, iOS Gadget it would look like this:
Gadget $40
Bilboa $10
Abu Dhabi $10
Darwin $30
Gladstone $15
Madrid $15
Kamata $15
Lexington $30
Milpitas $30
Module $40 (Salzburg, Montreal, Alexandria, Firenze)
That's $235 complete, so no it is not significantly more expensive even at regular price than the iOS version.

Apple has a history of devaluing software to sell hardware. If you only want Apple products you're good. But it is unrealistic to think other software developers need price their products relative to Apple. For the most part they haven't and seem to be doing quite well.

It is disappointing that iOS Gadget owners can't get a sizable discount when purchasing the OSX version. I think this is in part due to the inflexibility of the Apple App Store, e.g. upgrades are non-existent. Korg will be selling the OSX version directly. There is no link between the two stores (I don't know that there's a link between the Apple iOS and OSX app stores for that matter).

Busch.

Thanks for summing things up...

When i look at those prices, for someone new to gadget, €200 would be a pretty good deal on gadget OSX...

But you indeed are right, there should be a special pricing for people owning various gadgets on ios...
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I was looking forward to this but I have never really invested in and vst/au. I just use what's in logic. At this price it isn't really for me. Others will love it. I am glad Korg ported it over but price is an issue for me and I don't value it enough to buy that doesn't mean it isn't worth it it just means it isn't worth it to me.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
I own an NI Maschine and really don't get the comparison. There are lots of things you could compare OSX Gadget to, some will make the pricing look fine others expensive.

At full retail, you're getting 30 various synth plugins for $10/each plus a simple DAW-like environment for creating tracks. I'm unsure if I'm going to pick this one up and I buy a lot of this stuff.

Busch.

They are both basically groovebox type applications, basic notes and automation with included sounds/instruments.

How do you see them as different?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Gadget is primarily a collection of synths (or synthesizer gadgets), some loosely emulate older synths, some are more specific like Miami for dubstep wobble bass and Kingston for 8-bit arcade game sounds. There are also recreations of Korg instruments like M1, Wavestation and the Korg/ARP Odyssey. Most of the gadgets are synths. Yes there are drum machine modules as well. You can use the editor in a manner as you would the one in Maschine, but so could you with any DAW.

When you use Maschine inside a DAW, you still typically create/edit the MIDI inside the Maschine editor (you don't have to but it's an excellent pattern editor plus the connection with the hardware). Using the gadgets inside a DAW will be different as they are independant synths that you can apply to which ever track you choose.

You could also view OSX Gadget standalone as more like Reason in the early days, a closed application that you could use to create electronic music from start to finish. Certainly that's how most people use it in iOS.

Busch.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gadget iOS I have the choice as to which extra modules I want. I have no need for most of them, so for me, they would be wasted on the full Mac version. That's what's putting me off buying it.

Korg should have the same sales strategy for both versions.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Not really. Gadget is primarily a collection of synths (or synthesizer gadgets), some loosely emulate older synths, some are more specific like Miami for dubstep wobble bass and Kingston for 8-bit arcade game sounds. There are also recreations of Korg instruments like M1, Wavestation and the Korg/ARP Odyssey. Most of the gadgets are synths. Yes there are drum machine modules as well. You can use the editor in a manner as you would the one in Maschine, but so could you with any DAW.

When you use Maschine inside a DAW, you still typically create/edit the MIDI inside the Maschine editor (you don't have to but it's an excellent pattern editor plus the connection with the hardware). Using the gadgets inside a DAW will be different as they are independant synths that you can apply to which ever track you choose.

You could also view OSX Gadget standalone as more like Reason in the early days, a closed application that you could use to create electronic music from start to finish. Certainly that's how most people use it in iOS.

Busch.

I must admit I don't really see the difference, you can run Maschine standalone as well.

Also all sounds in Maschine can be sequenced via a daw if thats how you want to work.

It must be that I don't see Gadget as a collections of synths but rather as a groove box, different views I guess.

Can the synths in the iOS version be used in other apps as well?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully accept it has to be multiples of the price of the iOS version, and I'm a huge supporter of moving in that direction - but this is too steep.

It needs to come down below $150 IMO.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:

It must be that I don't see Gadget as a collections of synths but rather as a groove box, different views I guess.

Can the synths in the iOS version be used in other apps as well?

In iOS they are locked into the Gadget app. With OSX you have the choice of the app or using them as VST/AU synths.

Here's a listing of the individual, independent (in OSX) gadget synths. Roughly half of these are in-app extra cost add-ons in iOS.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/gadget_collection.php

Busch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: