Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

monologue triangle shape crackling sound. please fix korg!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plutonia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: monologue triangle shape crackling sound. please fix korg! Reply with quote

when using 'shape' the triangle wave produces unpleasant crackling sound. it does it when moving intensity knob in LFO section when LFO is affecting the wave 'shape'. it shouldn't do this. can it be fixed korg?
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this problem. What are your settings exactly?
plutonia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

triangle wave in either osc with 'shape' all way to left. filter cut off fully open. lfo in 'shape' mode, lfo on 'slow' and rate slow is where it's most noticeable. move 'int' knob in lfo and when it gets past halfway it produces crackling sound as knob is moved.

odd and unmusical behavior!
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plutonia wrote:
triangle wave in either osc with 'shape' all way to left. filter cut off fully open. lfo in 'shape' mode, lfo on 'slow' and rate slow is where it's most noticeable. move 'int' knob in lfo and when it gets past halfway it produces crackling sound as knob is moved.

odd and unmusical behavior!

You might be right but I can barely hear it. But I use a Bass speaker. That one might not play back high cackling very good. Luckily the crackling does not occur during the oscillation itself if you keep a note pressed.
plutonia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read sound on sound review just now, and mentions the triangle wave folding and crackling:

"all waves (except noise) are
modified using the Shape knob. So as well
as regular pulse width adjustment, you’re
treated to a (slightly crackly) wavefolding
of the triangle waveform"

so assume it's not a fault in mine. pretty sure an analogue synth shouldn't behave like this. hope a firmware update fixes it. getting loads of great sounds from it tho!
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeneerJansen wrote:
I don't have this problem. What are your settings exactly?

Me either.
moho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm there is a slight crackle,

weirder is the action of the saw lfo on the shape,
when applied to the square it acts as you expect steadily changing the shape then dropping back to the start.

when applied to the saw it acts like a triangle only acting like a saw when you turn the oscillators shape up and only acting like you expect when the oscillators shape is turned up fully, weird but workable.

when applied to the triangle no matter what settings are used it acts like a triangle, steady rise steady fall.

Can anyone confirm this ?
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moho wrote:

when applied to the square it acts as you expect steadily changing the shape then dropping back to the start.

when applied to the saw it acts like a triangle only acting like a saw when you turn the oscillators shape up and only acting like you expect when the oscillators shape is turned up fully, weird but workable.

when applied to the triangle no matter what settings are used it acts like a triangle, steady rise steady fall.

The selected waveform of the lfo is distinctly different for me on all 3 settings on triangle waves when modulating the shape.
moho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John01W wrote:
moho wrote:

The selected waveform of the lfo is distinctly different for me on all 3 settings on triangle waves when modulating the shape.

Different is not the same as correct,
Try these settings
Initialize patch,
select triangle as oscillator 1 wave with shape at 0
select saw as lfo wave with a slow rate so you can see and hear the change
set intensity to max and target shape.

Now does the wave shape jump to fully wave shaped then slowly return to not (or vice versa) as you would expect from a saw
or as mine does smoothly change then smoothly change back like a half speed triangle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: