Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't hear the left hand on midi files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antoinekross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Can't hear the left hand on midi files Reply with quote

Hi there,

I bought the new Korg Kross one month ago and i like to plug it to my computer and then use softwares like Synthesia or Jalmus..
But i have a problem for a week now, when i try to listen to midi files on my laptop with for example Synthesia setting the output on my kross, i cant hear the left hand part of the piece.
I am sure that i didnt have this issue at the beginning so i don't know what i could have done wrong.
I use an old USB to host cable so maybe it's the problem but i don't know maybe the issue comes from the settings of the kross.

Could you help me please? If you need more information to help solving this issue, ask me.

Bye
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is not going to be the USB between your PC and Kross. The USB only carries MIDI data and basically does not care whether it is left or right hand. It even does not know it.

It can be your audio connection:
How do you listen to the Kross? Via the headphone output? Or via the L/R jacks? Did you try both? How do you connect the Kross to your sound system?

It can be the patch that you are using to play the MIDI. E.g. some notes are out of the keyboard range of your selected patch. I would start with the Kross Grand Piano patch.

Good luck.
antoinekross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp et thanks a lot for your answer,

The problem persist whether i listen to my headphone (mini jack) or to my monitoring (L/R jacks).

Also, the problem has nothing to do with the notes because i can hear every notes as long as it is the right hand that uses them.

But maybe as you said the problem is from the patch, but where to find the right one?
(EDIT : I just installed the last driver from the official korg website and nothing changed)

And are you sure that the problem cannot come from the kross settings?

Thanks again for your help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "system initialise" might solve the problem, but first back up any changes that have been made since purchase.

To initialise the system, power off the Kross, then hold down the "Exit" and "8" buttons and power up the keyboard. Continue to hold the two buttons down until a message comes up indicating that initialise has started. The message will be something like "writing into internal memory".

OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As Voip suggests, you can try to reinitialize the synth. But I have my doubts. Make sure the board is on the mains adapter and not on batteries if you do that. Just to avoid that at this critical step you don't run out of juice and end with a dead board.

The driver update will indeed not solve your problem. It just fixes possible USB compliancy issues. Missing the left notes is not a compliancy issue...

I can not immediately think of Kross settings which could be the root cause.

Ok, whatever interface you choose, you don't hear the left.
Then I have following questions:
* if you select the patch that you use for playback and you play some left hand melody on the board itself, do you hear something?
* Can it be that the MIDI file that you play uses different instruments for the bass (left hand) and the melody (rigth hand) part?
My bet, it must be this. In that case left and right hand notes are sent on different MIDI channels. You need then to select a combi and setup two instruments and try to figure out the the MIDI channel for the bass part. In that case it would be nice to look at the MIDI file you try to play back. Personally I don't have any experience with that, but I have my own ways to figure that out.
Some hints for the combi test. Select a combi. Go to the MIDI page. Select a timbre with an instrument on it. Start to change the MIDI channel. At some point you migth hear the bass line.

Good luck.
antoinekross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for your answers,

I did what you asked Voip and : it solved the problem but in the other hand it created new issues :/

So now i can listen to both hands when i use the "Combi" mode but i still can't listen to the left hand in the "Prog" mode.
And i am pretty sure that i could listen to both hands in the prog mode at the beginning (when i didn't have any issues).

New issue after the reset : i dont have any piano instruments left in the piano section of the prog mode. I only have "InitProg" while i have all of the other instruments (organ, bell, strings, ...) so i don't understand at all.

And OpAmp, to answer to your questions about the midi file, i have the same issue for any midi file :/

If you can't solve the left hand issue on the prog mode, nevermind, but at least i'd like to recover my piano instruments in the piano section..

Thanks a lot for your help
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The fact that it works in Combi mode basically might prove my point. But if you're sure it used to work as well in Prog mode, then were are still missing something...

Your Piano section is gone... Aargh. That is why I'm hesitating to advice do the System Initialization operation...

Here you go to restore all programs, combi and so on at once:
* Press Global/Media
* Press Function
* Choose Load Preload/Demo Data + press Ok
* In the Kind menu, choose All preload PCG
* Press Ok

Hopefully it is fine after that.

Bye
antoinekross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp,

Thanks a lot, i recovered my piano section thanks to you.

Yes i think we're probably missing something but nevermind, if i can listen to the songs i want on the combi mode it's alright.

Moreover, as i said the midi file isn't the problem because i tried with many others.

Thanks for your answers again Smile
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your board is back in shape.

I'm not saying there is something wrong with the MIDI file. Only, depending on the structure that is used in the file to capture the song, you might need to set up the Kross differently to get the most out of your MIDI file...

Bye
antoinekross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

It seems that both hands only work when i use the USER section of the combi mode, i don't understand why but maybe you can understand why and have an idea of what is wrong?

It's a bit annoying to have to set the user section of the combi mode every time i want to hear a midi file knowing that before i could listen them on the prog mode...

Bye
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm convinced about my point I made before.

Probably you did not create your own user combis yet.
In that case default user combis are set up, which have the piano on each of the 16 timbres and each timbre listening to the MIDI channel indicated by its timbre number.
So if your MIDI file contains a left and right hand track (each using a separate MIDI channel) they will sound complete on such a combi.

I can not see how you got such a file ever working in program mode on the Kross, as in this mode it will always play only one track at a time and ignore the others...
Maybe a setting in your MIDI file player to merge the tracks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: