Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos or Montage ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bald Eagle"]
GregC wrote:
I think it was simply a marketing decision (albeit a bad one) to omit those features from the Montage. If it's a performance synth it doesn't have to directly compete with the Kronos. If the Montage was a workstation it would have a lot of catching up to do before it wins over Kronos.

i think its a battle over spending $ or not being given enough $ internally for a proper w/s.

I suspect Yamaha has more buearacracy when it comes to R & D and $$ for a new product. The fact that they are a big multi national co makes it more difficult.

So the division or team developing the Montage had less $$ to work with than they would need. Thus some odd decisions were made. Thats my theory- and I worked for Sony for 9 years . Not the best of comparisons, I realize. But budget battles make for difficult decisions
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Discontinued? Reply with quote

From the very first post, by Kronos2ison, on this topic:

"I paid $2150 out the door new in box for the Kronos2 61 key and the Manager said it was discontinued that a new model was coming. I asked him if he was talking about a Kronos LS? He said no they just got orders from corporate to move them out with a 4-5 month deadline."

As a former Oasys owner, I am preparing to purchase a Kronos so that I can load sequences/samples/PCGs I originally created on Oasys into Kronos.
Of course, I am interested in Korg's next flagship.
I wonder, how remote the chance is that this new wonderstation will be backward compatible with Kronos, and dare I hope, Oasys?
If only I could see the future!

Honestly, I envision myself being totally content with a Kronos 88. The only thing I would like to see added in a new workstation would be a (gasp) 32-track sequencer, and (look out, duck!) two MIDI Outs.
I know this isn't likely to happen.
So, if Korg is indeed preparing to phase out Kronos then I guess I better get ready to buy one if I want a new one (I am and I do).

Just thought I'd make this post as the most interesting thing to me seems to have gotten lost (lol!).

Here's looking to the future!
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to like the Montage and I drove round trip about 2hrs for a demo for 1.5- 2 hrs. When I hit my creative wall I was like.. Come here Mr. Keyboard pro salesman give me a demo and show me all it can do. It was one sad manual reading limited demo. Noooo way I would buy a Montage. Imo it did absolutely nothing better than a Kronos.

I called Yamaha and they described the Montage as a synth. I poked and compared it to the Kronos and that Yamaha rep was pretty short and aggravated by the end of the call. Haha.. I'd say if you own the best " a Kronos" and are board with money to burn? Buy a Montage. It was a cool bulky piece of plastic to possibly add some extra flavor to your creativity.
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider a Montage. I like Yamaha. Had an FX-20 organ back in the '80s, and still have an MU100. The Montage doesn't do it for me on any level. To each their own. My Virus TI Desktop complimented my Oasys like sweet whipped topping on ice cream (cookie dough!). Expecting the same with Kronos. I have other synths, but truthfully, I could get by without feeling at all limited with a Kronos and the Virus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: