Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa4X Effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_Akbik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Pa4X Effects Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm used to Yamaha's, but now I bought Pa4X, I love the quality of sounds, but got disappointed with complexity of applying effects. for example, in Yamaha you can apply effects immediately using bottoms like Sustain, or DSP. in Korg I don's find easy and direct way to do that while playing, effects need to be programmed in advance and saved to your own library of keyboard sets or sounds. Any ideas please?

Mike
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I cannot agree with you more.
I changed from a Tyros 5 (having previously had a Tyros 2 and 4) and I am really pleased with the keyboard. Even so, there are a few things about the keyboard that have me scratching my head. The effects section being one of them. I'm sure there will be many who don't share our opinions, but the fact is allocating effects to sounds or styles is not a simple process. I think the words I am looking for is 'not intuitive'. I have had the PA4X for six months and still don't understand the process.

The other thing that I would love to have changed on this keyboard is the ability to save a style in a user keyboard set. This would be a great method for saving registrations for me personally. The Tyros system for storing registations eight at a time is far better than the songbook method on the Korg. I read an article on these Forums where someone tried to say that the Korg method is better. Err, don't think so !!!

Chris

p.s. Did you notice Mike that not one person replied to your post to disagree with you about the complexity of effects allocation.
cloumet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I cannot agree with you more.
I changed from a Tyros 5 (having previously had a Tyros 2 and 4) and I am really pleased with the keyboard. Even so, there are a few things about the keyboard that have me scratching my head. The effects section being one of them. I'm sure there will be many who don't share our opinions, but the fact is allocating effects to sounds or styles is not a simple process. I think the words I am looking for is 'not intuitive'. I have had the PA4X for six months and still don't understand the process.

The other thing that I would love to have changed on this keyboard is the ability to save a style in a user keyboard set. This would be a great method for saving registrations for me personally. The Tyros system for storing registations eight at a time is far better than the songbook method on the Korg. I read an article on these Forums where someone tried to say that the Korg method is better. Err, don't think so !!!

Chris

p.s. Did you notice Mike that not one person replied to your post to disagree with you about the complexity of effects allocation.

Bonjour,
Je suis entiérement de votre avis concernant les effets . beaucoup plus compliqué que sur un tyros, j'ai eu les 1 2 4 et 5
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from a tyros 5 to... but also with some daw and korg background..

You can get to the effects quite easilly trough the mixing view...
there is a tab for
- master effects
- insert effects
- eq

But some of the effects you are looking for are not actually effects, like sustain... sustain can be found in the sound edit, its just a matter of release time, the longer your release time, the more sustain... you can find the quick sound edit under track controll... next to the envelope/adsr (of which the release is the last step) you have direct controll here over the filter and the lfo, which can also be used for some things that you call effects... like the lfo which in this case is applied to pitch and can be used for setting the vibrato of a voice..

What i dont like about the pa4x effects section is that there are only 1 insert and 2 master effects for the keyboard parts, while there are 3 master and 4 inserts for the style parts... the keyboardzone would have been perfect with 3 masters and 4 inserts too...

Its not necessary more complex on the pa4x, it just works different, and probbaly requires a little more insight on synthesis to find out how it works...
Using logic as my daw its only naturall for me to try and find effects settings under the mixer tab...
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci Cloumet, il est agréable de savoir que nous sommes tous d'accord sur la question des effets.
Chris
chelsea4023

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bachus,

Many thanks for your detailed reply.
Sorry to say, I am now more confused after reading your post than I was before. That's not a critcism of you, it's just seems a complex method for adding effects.

Chris
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelsea4023 wrote:
Hi Bachus,

Many thanks for your detailed reply.
Sorry to say, I am now more confused after reading your post than I was before. That's not a critcism of you, it's just seems a complex method for adding effects.

Chris

When you look at it with tyros 5 eyes, its different..

When you look at it with DAW eyes, its just where you would expect it, and how you would expect it..

I think for any one comming from a Tyros, they need to try and forget about what they knew from the YAmaha OS to really adapt to the PA4x OS.. The good thing about the PA4x is that after easy edit, deep edit is only one step away..

Also the registrations you know from Yamaha can be done with the setlist... that makes songbook entries really easy accessible.. its different then in Yamaha but in a live situation it works just as well..

to me its been quite easy so far to addapt, however over the time i have seen dozens and dozens of YAmaha users not being able to addapt and in the end return to Yamaha (same goes for Korg users that cant addapt to Yamaha)
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Registrations, Performances - access intiutively Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
... also the registrations you know from Yamaha can be done with the setlist... that makes songbook entries really easy accessible.. its different then in Yamaha but in a live situation it works just as well..

It works like preprogrammed and fixed for one single application/song/style. Songbook-Entries (Setlist with NEXT and PREVIOUS) can do something in fixed order similar registrations, but never can do the same like registrations to be used 'INTUITIVE' as mentioned by Chris.

And that is the same using effects with direct access or also with direct access to style-track-parameters - to be used after previously prepared for preselection without to be able it using 'intuitive' is not the same.

If sb-entries would have lock-parameters to lock style-change when using NEXT or PREVIOUS of SETLIST, one could use kbd-sets (sts1-4) of different sb-entries similar registrations (but restricted to four STS each) with the same style last selected. But there is no lock-parameter for setlist, so sts1-4 could not be used with each style you selected 'intuitive' without to separately prepare your sb-entry previously, as linked and fixed with the style since sb-entry was written.

There is another way to use kb-settings (performances) of Pa4x like
one do with Yamaha registrations: Use AutoSelect-KeyboardSets, prepare some of Keyboard Set selections you latest selected in banks with saving Global/General Controls. Isolate resulting setup.gbls to root of an external device, rename it (maybe reg01.gbl,reg02.gbl ... regnn.gbl) and use them for quick loading for to be used like registration-banks. Once loaded to be used intuitive (parallel / additionally to sb-entries/setlists) is possible by single pressing one of twelve bank-buttons like one do with his eight Yamaha registration buttons.

At the end, twelve instead of eight registrations per registration bank are ready for intuitive and direct access.

PS: Would be good to extend the Auto-Select features of Pa-Keyboards instead of decimating - as happened with Auto-Select-Sound, at least still was present in the Pa800. Now it is omitted - but also would be usable intuitively.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
k_sac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came from the Yamaha PSR world. There are some things that translate easily and others that don't. Just takes time, but I feel like I am getting it pretty well. In the long run, I will enjoy the additional control this keyboard will give me.

I was getting frustrated that I could not find a sustain effect to apply to the left hand of the split keyboard. On the Yamaha, you could assign the left hand to the sustain pedal. And I don't see that you can do that on the Korg.
However, all I needed was just some way to apply some sustain to the sound on the left hand, controlling with the sustain pedal was not that critical.

Thank you Bachus for this information, it answered my question and was pretty easy to apply. I did try messing around with this screen before, but really making a mess out of the sound. Once I tried changing just the "Release" I realized - OK, that is where the sustain is. Thank You!

Bachus - "But some of the effects you are looking for are not actually effects, like sustain... sustain can be found in the sound edit, its just a matter of release time, the longer your release time, the more sustain... you can find the quick sound edit under track control... next to the envelope/adsr (of which the release is the last step) you have direct control here over the filter and the lfo, which can also be used for some things that you call effects... like the lfo which in this case is applied to pitch and can be used for setting the vibrato of a voice.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: