Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes have)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plutohall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes have) Reply with quote

I have the Kronos LS 88. On all of the Berlin Grand settings there are a few notes (middle C, D, D flat, E) which sound different than the other notes. They have a metallic sound (kind of clanking) compared to other notes on the keyboard. Anyone else having this problem??????? (I have tried restoring factory sounds....) Korg said to take the board back. I have only had this keyboard for 1 week.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the keybed?
plutohall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: reply to keybed Reply with quote

Not great at all. The keybed is no where near as good as the Triton Pro was or when Yamaha was making the keybeds. It is way too light. However, I have always played synth action or lightly semi-weighted keyboards and I was getting in pain from playing on weighted so this will work out better for me in the long run.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes h Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
I have the Kronos LS 88. On all of the Berlin Grand settings there are a few notes (middle C, D, D flat, E) which sound different than the other notes. They have a metallic sound (kind of clanking) compared to other notes on the keyboard. Anyone else having this problem??????? (I have tried restoring factory sounds....) Korg said to take the board back. I have only had this keyboard for 1 week.

i think you need to clarify.

Is it a ' mechanism ' clank or funny/harsh harmonic sound ?

The Berlin has several notes that have some kind of noise, something with the release point in the sample

You should also clarify how notes are mapped. On my 88, the notes that clang are C4, C#4, D4, D#4, E4

This is the way the Berlin sounds in my opinion.

Keep in mind no acoustic piano is ' perfect' . Acoustic pianos have complicated mechanisms and have some quirks

If you google the forum you will see about 50 posts similar to what you are describing.

Until you clarify your " clank " I don't agree with returning your Kronos just yet.
plutohall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re metallic clank sound Reply with quote

Thank you for your response!! To me this sound is not the normal sound of a piano. It actually sounds like 2 different pianos (a grand - the part that sounds good and a metallic sounding electronic copy of a piano where the notes are bad). It is bad enough that I would not use the Berlin Grands. There is no point in mapping this because when I transpose it up or down or octave this sound then moves to that point. So it is always around Middle C. I have googled but have been unable to find other posts about this.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Re metallic clank sound Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:
Thank you for your response!! To me this sound is not the normal sound of a piano. It actually sounds like 2 different pianos (a grand - the part that sounds good and a metallic sounding electronic copy of a piano where the notes are bad). It is bad enough that I would not use the Berlin Grands. There is no point in mapping this because when I transpose it up or down or octave this sound then moves to that point. So it is always around Middle C. I have googled but have been unable to find other posts about this.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=676687&sid=e71072220442f697c812a9358b4a7afc
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Re metallic clank sound Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:

The Berlin Grand has a different sound for sure. Some like it and some do not having said that I would say that most people do not like the Berlin Grand but they are exceptions. I may use it on 1 song per night if that.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Re metallic clank sound Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
plutohall wrote:

The Berlin Grand has a different sound for sure. Some like it and some do not having said that I would say that most people do not like the Berlin Grand but they are exceptions. I may use it on 1 song per night if that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1XeEx-Aruc

I am figuring out the 3 - 1/2 minute piano intro to this Renaissance tune.

Its full of piano harmonics, over tones, etc.

I am using the Berlin to duplicate what John Tout achieved. I think he toured/
recorded with a Mason Hamlin grand. I tried to spot the piano name and
got a brief glance on a youtube.
meh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes h Reply with quote

plutohall wrote:

I have this exact same issue with a brand new Kronos2 88. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more. Is my keyboard an anomaly? Are the samples just not loading properly? Should I try some kind of factory reset?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes h Reply with quote

meh wrote:
plutohall wrote:

I have this exact same issue with a brand new Kronos2 88. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more. Is my keyboard an anomaly? Are the samples just not loading properly? Should I try some kind of factory reset?

Go to global and slightly adjust velocity values

That might give a better result
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes h Reply with quote

meh wrote:

I much prefer the Berlin piano on my K2 to practice classical daily stuff when I must use headphones late at night. I don't hear the particular keys mentioned earlier as especially annoying.

Note that I am used to real acoustic pianos since a long time and I know how all real instruments, including the top quality ones, have their little particularities. So I simply learned how to accept imperfections in real acoustic instruments. So it is easy for me to adapt to similar digital idiosyncrasies.

One example is that on my grand piano at home, I hear odd partials on the two highest wound string keys, just below the "break". My SO, who also is an advanced pianist, plays on it too and she can't hear anything wrong about them.

So in short, different people, different ears, different reviews of what sounds good or not.

If I want to be critical of the Berlin grand, I think the couple of high keys slightly out of tune are more noticeable/annoying to my ears. But to me the Berlin grand sounds way more realistic and alive compared to the German grand and the others. But of course YMMV and other people might prefer more sterile piano sounds.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Berlin Grand - Clanking notes (uneven tone for 4 notes h Reply with quote

KK wrote:
meh wrote:

I much prefer the Berlin piano on my K2 to practice classical daily stuff when I must use headphones late at night. I don't hear the particular keys mentioned earlier as especially annoying.

Note that I am used to real acoustic pianos since a long time and I know how all real instruments, including the top quality ones, have their little particularities. So I simply learned how to accept imperfections in real acoustic instruments. So it is easy for me to adapt to similar digital idiosyncrasies.

One example is that on my grand piano at home, I hear odd partials on the two highest wound string keys, just below the "break". My SO, who also is an advanced pianist, plays on it too and she can't hear anything wrong about them.

So in short, different people, different ears, different reviews of what sounds good or not.

If I want to be critical of the Berlin grand, I think the couple of high keys slightly out of tune are more noticeable/annoying to my ears. But to me the Berlin grand sounds way more realistic and alive compared to the German grand and the others. But of course YMMV and other people might prefer more sterile piano sounds.

agree with you completely as an acoustic piano person.

Berlin has its own character as all acoustic pianos have character.

I can't speak for the LS acoustic pianos. New owners might view Velocity values in Global for an adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: