Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Word to the wise:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Word to the wise: Reply with quote

KEEP YOUR FACTORY INSTALL DISKS.

I was updating my production Kronos (The one I use to build sounds and make sound libraries) to 3.1.0 from 3.0.4

Well, even when you follow the instructions perfectly, sometimes things go wrong.

Today, things went wrong.

I tried updating from USB, no luck, crashed part way through. No worries, I'll just reboot.

Rebooting failed, error (1) - Unable to read from the filesystem. YAY.

Okay, so I rebooted again, still nothing, she's broken.

So knowing I have hundreds of hours worth of stuff I've been working on in the hard drive, I haul the Kronos apart and throw the SSD's into my Linuxbox so I can rip the files and back them all up.

Data recovery, successful - no worries. At least I have my junk right?

Okay, so now that the Kronos is all back together, I need to do the factory restore.

I look and look and look... I can't find the disks anywhere. No problem - I'll go on the Korg website and download the ISO files.

Nope.

Nothing. Not at all. Anywhere.

Not even illegal torrent files of their disks... (Yes, I was desperate, though I guess technically it's not illegal since I DO own the Kronos and such)

So after a small panic attack and calling the local music distributor to see if they have any Kronos boards kicking around so I could even borrow THEIR disks (The closest store that had a Kronos in stock was like 2000+ miles away) I eventually DID find the disks.

Anyway, I tried to do a standard install that didn't wipe the hard drive but that failed - I had to do a complete install from scratch which included repartitioning and losing everything I've worked on. If it wasn't for the fact that I run linux and aren't afraid of ripping my board apart, I would have potentially lost everything. (I have older backups but nothing super current)

Point of this long rant here is: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR DISKS. Even when you do everything absolutely correctly, things can still go wrong.

Oh and back up your stuff too. That's also important.

Rant done Smile
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare stuff - well said, and I'm glad you got it sorted in the end. FWIW, I'd have burned a copy of my discs and sent them to you if need be.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
Nightmare stuff - well said, and I'm glad you got it sorted in the end. FWIW, I'd have burned a copy of my discs and sent them to you if need be.

Thanks for that - definitely nightmare fuel lol

Yeah, I've made a copy just now onto ISO format and have it backed up on my hard drive... I wouldn't have wanted to reach out to the forum but if I had to, I definitely appreciate your offer for sure Smile
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had just contacted Commander Riker, he could have used the Replicator . . . but since you have everything settled now, that won't be necessary.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go one better

STAY ORGANIZED and have a SYSTEM

I juggle my business records, household records, tax stuff, music stuff, songs, sheet music, projects completed, project that are work in progress etc etc.

Sure , this is boring and tedious. For me , February is cleanup month.

I spent the past 3 days, cleaning up junk files, archiving in digital and hard copy format, reorganizing the entire shooting match.

So I can tell you exactly where my original Kronos DVD's are and find them in 1 minute. same with my business stuff, organized by year.

And I don't believe us humans can multi task that well. Or have a perfect memory forever. Seeing what happens on our California freeways is testament
to ' multi tasking does not work'.

Being organized and having a system will reduce the stress in your life. Lecture over.
bobmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Word to the wise: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
No problem - I'll go on the Korg website and download the ISO files. Nope. Nothing. Not at all. Anywhere.

I found this link for Kronos Restore Disks at the Korg website:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/link/0/79/3040/
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backup my stuff from the SSD via ftp/lan connection. Another option are USB sticks -> backup drives. This way you only have to get the basic installation running and updated again, and can save your pcgs and sample data again after the install.

I made ISOs of my installation disks (and by the way of all my other CDs) a while ago, after I once had the same search scenario as you. Nowadays, you hardly use CDs any more, and always have to think, where you placed certain ones. Then it comes as a shock to you not to know where they are, when you suddenly need some. The ISO files are now on my two big backup harddisks for anything music related: I can't miss those, because I backup regularly to them.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Word to the wise: Reply with quote

bobmusic wrote:
enigmahack wrote:
No problem - I'll go on the Korg website and download the ISO files. Nope. Nothing. Not at all. Anywhere.

I found this link for Kronos Restore Disks at the Korg website:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/link/0/79/3040/

Wow. I don't know how/where you found those, but I'm glad to know they DO exist out there.

Thanks for that, and hopefully for future this link will remain the same if people get stuck the way I did today Smile
bobmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Word to the wise: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
I don't know how/where you found those, but I'm glad to know they DO exist out there.

On the Korg website I searched for Kronos and then choose "downloads".
The list with available downloads
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/79/
loads very slow, so in the first moment it seems there is only one manual.
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are for the Kronos X though - make sure to use the disks for the correct version of your machine (for example, I would not try them in a Kronos 2).
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the Kronos, I updated mine from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1 without any issues the same day it arrived by FedEx.

But I'm taking your advice and will make sure I don't lose track of my restore disks!

I know what a nightmare it was when I did my taxes last year with a tax program on my laptop, and then my laptop crashed and I had to replace the hard drive and use the system restore disks on it. Long story short, I forgot to back up my tax files to a different location, so when this tax season came around, I was required to use last year's adjusted gross income as proof of identity when e-filing my taxes. Well- no record of last year's return ANYWHERE, and I had not even printed out hard copies. Hours and hours of poring through paperwork and combing through all my hard disks on my p.c. to no avail. I finally had to order a transcript from the IRS and wait til it arrived before I could finish filing my taxes! So, yes, you are absolutely right- ALWAYS BE PREPARED in case of the unexpected eventuality!
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho... I have lived this real nightmare and I have lost 3 songs. The Kronos staff was so helpful but they need to format the internal hard disk so... ... Now I save and save all my works by numbers. Your post is important.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Surprised seriously?

If anybody needs telling to keep the OS restore disks that came with their board then they don't deserve it. Actually, anyone who didn't lock them away safe to begin with deserves a brick if they then decide to meddle in things when they clearly have no concept of the dangers of power failure or any such failure during a Read/Write to the SSD.
Would you buy a car and throw away the Owners Handbook? No. It stays in the glove-box where you found it. What the heck is the world coming to when comments like this need to be made to supposedly 'tech-savvy' semi-intelligent sentient beings? "Word to the wise"? The "Wise" don't need telling thank you!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
OMG Surprised seriously?

If anybody needs telling to keep the OS restore disks that came with their board then they don't deserve it. Actually, anyone who didn't lock them away safe to begin with deserves a brick if they then decide to meddle in things when they clearly have no concept of the dangers of power failure or any such failure during a Read/Write to the SSD.
Would you buy a car and throw away the Owners Handbook? No. It stays in the glove-box where you found it. What the heck is the world coming to when comments like this need to be made to supposedly 'tech-savvy' semi-intelligent sentient beings? "Word to the wise"? The "Wise" don't need telling thank you!

I don't like your tone dude.

In a world where EVERYTHING is found online these days, it's not unreasonable to not keep the factory disks. On top of that, I moved recently and everything in my life has been in boxes. I don't need to justify to you why my world has been upside down but before you go making statements like

Schmooster wrote:
...anyone who didn't lock them away safe to begin with deserves a brick if they then decide to meddle in things when they clearly have no concept of the dangers of power failure or any such failure during a Read/Write to the SSD.

I've been doing IT work off and on for 13+ years, it's possible if not likely that I know quite a bit more than the average person about the dangers of power failure, SSD mis-writes and other varying issues.

Maybe you should re-think your statement? Maybe I've misunderstood some too-subtle-for-text sarcasm?

Either way, your words come across as kind of a jerk.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
OMG Surprised seriously?

This forum is for friendly advise not coming off like a jerk making comments about things that clearly you have no expertise in. Every one here is grown men and don't need sarcasm especially when some has keyboard problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: