Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$500 and under Pair of Studio Monitors Recommend for Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Studio Monitor Brand you think sounds best under $500 pair
KRK Rokit Gen 3
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Behringer TRUTH
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Mackie MR mk3
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
JBL LSR
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
PreSonus Eris
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Yamaha HS
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 30

Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: $500 and under Pair of Studio Monitors Recommend for Kronos? Reply with quote

I need some opinions from fellow Kronos owners. I need a pair of home studio monitors. I want to hear this Kronos to its fullest potential of sound quality with only $500 to spend. What do you think? I know you guys have spent hours in a music store comparing or even owned several sold and replaced. Just looking for some great advice.

1. Things I am considering is 5in, 6in, or 8in sizes and how that may effect hearing instruments a accuracy.

2. Brand Poll or others you may recommend.

I have spent hours on YouTube and read all the Musician's Friend, Guitar Center ect ect ect reviews. I currently have garbage monsoon ribbon 2.1 pc speakers and beats studio 2.0 headphones and I know they are robbing me of its greatness. A little help needed please. Thankyou Smile
emilloparski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha HS8 is the best option for you, and not only for you!
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha HS8 are $700 a pair and too much but I may be able to find a deal on the HS7 for $500.
emilloparski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
The Yamaha HS8 are $700 a pair and too much but I may be able to find a deal on the HS7 for $500.

Oh, since they are 500 EUR in Europe, I thought they cost around 500$ in US, my bad, but I still think you can find HS8 for 500-550$... You got Kronos for 2150 USD in US, we can't find it under 2600 EUR in Europe...

By the way KRK color the sound too much, you cant miss with HS. And the 7" is also a great deal!
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaa.. right. I did get a fair deal. I will barter final cost when I decide which set of monitors to buy. Right now I need to determine which sounds best with the Kronos. Wink I want no monitor hum noise. Clean beautiful sound with treble and bass control for fine tweaking.

emilloparski wrote:
Kronos2ison wrote:

Oh, since they are 500 EUR in Europe, I thought they cost around 500$ in US, my bad, but I still think you can find HS8 for 500-550$... You got Kronos for 2150 USD in US, we can't find it under 2600 EUR in Europe...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most studio monitors will have very little treble and bass control, only up to 2 dB for room adaption basically. Fortunately your Kronos is pretty stocked with equalizers Smile
Hum is generally an indication of a grounding problem. The best monitors will still hum with improper grounding.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got KRK 5. i was about to get the KRK 8 but the bass was just too much, i even have to EQ some of the bass out of the 5's that i have. And they sound great. But they are not that great for playing kronos realtime because they tend to drop out some of the sound ,similar to polyphony limits.
I think it is a built in limiter and it causes isssues with some of my combis when i have drums, karma and more going all at once. Usually after the monitors heat up and even faster to that point when the volume is way up.

Its just a few problem sounds here and there and those sounds do not have issues in headphones. Mostly the drums are what get cut back, similar to what a limiter does. Kronos sounds are powerful.

First time i ever had studio Monitors, i always used keyboard amps and PA systems.
I am going to keep the monitors because they work great for most of the sounds and also great for playing sampled wave file albums that i play via kronos.

I can't imagine needing more bass range than comes with 8's -but for me it is too much except for a few deep droning pads or bass sounds which i rarely use. Its good to have the bass range on hand, i guess, and keep it tamed by EQ until it is needed.

If you already have a PA or Keyboard amp, then you are covered. I still have to go out and get a Keyboard amp or PA system. Definitely you should go out and get some Monitors.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presonus eris e5 here
quite good actually wit some basic corrections built-in
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
I got KRK 5. i was about to get the KRK 8 but the bass was just too much, i even have to EQ some of the bass out of the 5's that i have. And they sound great. But they are not that great for playing kronos realtime because they tend to drop out some of the sound ,similar to polyphony limits.
I think it is a built in limiter and it causes isssues with some of my combis when i have drums, karma and more going all at once. Usually after the monitors heat up and even faster to that point when the volume is way up.

Its just a few problem sounds here and there and those sounds do not have issues in headphones. Mostly the drums are what get cut back, similar to what a limiter does. Kronos sounds are powerful.

First time i ever had studio Monitors, i always used keyboard amps and PA systems.
I am going to keep the monitors because they work great for most of the sounds and also great for playing sampled wave file albums that i play via kronos.

I can't imagine needing more bass range than comes with 8's -but for me it is too much except for a few deep droning pads or bass sounds which i rarely use. Its good to have the bass range on hand, i guess, and keep it tamed by EQ until it is needed.

If you already have a PA or Keyboard amp, then you are covered. I still have to go out and get a Keyboard amp or PA system. Definitely you should go out and get some Monitors.

Which gen do you have? i have the square Gen one KRK rocket 5 and thought the bass was not up to the organs and bass sounds of the Kronos. I always use DT880 pros or QSC K10. If the newer gen are better that would be great if yours are Gen 1 as well i wonder why mine doesn't seem up to the task.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
19naia wrote:

Which gen do you have? i have the square Gen one KRK rocket 5 and thought the bass was not up to the organs and bass sounds of the Kronos. I always use DT880 pros or QSC K10. If the newer gen are better that would be great if yours are Gen 1 as well i wonder why mine doesn't seem up to the task.

I got mine less than a year ago at Guitar center and seems they match Gen 3.
I never really checked what Gen they were. I just went in, tried them out and it was a toss up between the JBL equivalent and KRK rokit. JBL had a bit more color to the sound but not enough to make me think less of KRK.
I even prefer my KRK to my headphones and the KRK outdo the bass on my headphones and thats why i EQ the bass down on KRK.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK/Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-3-Powered-Studio-Monitor-1368456535382.gc#productDetail

^^this link ^^ has some reviews and i read one that talked about impressive bass range. Like i said, i turned away from the KRK 8 because it was just too much bass, although i could have done EQ work to make the 8's work. Its just my ears were Headphone conditioned at the time and the 5's were just right for that, especially when i just need them for a small room and mostly don't use them because of others in the house or neighbors on the other side of the wall. You really can thump the walls with em and setting them on top of boxes takes the bass to a whole other level. Literally the surface you set them on can enhance the sound.
Again, I have issues with the KRK 5 with sound drop out on some Kronos Combis in certain areas of certain songs. So it seems like certain frequencies are barred by a limiting system. Specs list a frequency response range, just a clue, but i am not so experienced with exactly what that means. I never get crackling or buzzing, it is always clean and i think there is a built in limiter or some system to drop sound out before the monitors ever send an overwhelming signal through.
I assume its all to protect it. It is really nice sound for sure. But not the best out there. I paid just over $300 for a pair. They come individually at around $150 and you buy two separate boxes to make a pair.
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned many high end hifi speakers like Polk RTI A9 towers and in audio reproduction it's best each speaker does its own job. Like tweeters for highs, mids for midrange and subs for lows. Pushing sub and mid frequency out the same speaker will have degrees of sound image loss.

YAMAHA is in the lead by double..
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Bertotti wrote:
19naia wrote:

I got mine less than a year ago at Guitar center and seems they match Gen 3.
I never really checked what Gen they were. I just went in, tried them out and it was a toss up between the JBL equivalent and KRK rokit. JBL had a bit more color to the sound but not enough to make me think less of KRK.
I even prefer my KRK to my headphones and the KRK outdo the bass on my headphones and thats why i EQ the bass down on KRK.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK/Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-3-Powered-Studio-Monitor-1368456535382.gc#productDetail

^^this link ^^ has some reviews and i read one that talked about impressive bass range. Like i said, i turned away from the KRK 8 because it was just too much bass, although i could have done EQ work to make the 8's work. Its just my ears were Headphone conditioned at the time and the 5's were just right for that, especially when i just need them for a small room and mostly don't use them because of others in the house or neighbors on the other side of the wall. You really can thump the walls with em and setting them on top of boxes takes the bass to a whole other level. Literally the surface you set them on can enhance the sound.
Again, I have issues with the KRK 5 with sound drop out on some Kronos Combis in certain areas of certain songs. So it seems like certain frequencies are barred by a limiting system. Specs list a frequency response range, just a clue, but i am not so experienced with exactly what that means. I never get crackling or buzzing, it is always clean and i think there is a built in limiter or some system to drop sound out before the monitors ever send an overwhelming signal through.
I assume its all to protect it. It is really nice sound for sure. But not the best out there. I paid just over $300 for a pair. They come individually at around $150 and you buy two separate boxes to make a pair.

Thankyou sir, I will assume then it has more to do with one o there things, my gen is just that way, my pair might have an issue or I have a bad placement in my room. Time to experiment.
pranaearth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Eris E5's.
I love them so much I'm gonna get the Eris E8's very soon.
Doing dance oriented music I feel that I can mix confidently for a variety of different playback mediums with confidence.
Plus at American Musical Supply, you get a package of 2 monitors, and other stuff for 499.99.
It's a steal.
(I'm sure there are similar prices at other stores, but they're the one's I've used since my original Karma purchase back in 2001)
robw70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend 8", 7" at a push if budget constrained. My 5" HS5's had basically no bottom end (not withstanding what it says on the box). Similarly with most 5". I found out what I was missing when I picked up a match Subwoofer at a bargain price and suddenly discovered a whole pile of additional sound components (like piano mechanical noises) that just weren't there with the 5" monitors alone. Together though they are great.
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this review between Yamaha KRK and JBL. Based on the video the Yamaha HS8 sounds neutral, KRK 8" sounds kinda hollow and the JBL not bad but... I do see why Yamaha HS are most popular.

https://youtu.be/riXAOTRdTNA

And here I found a video comparing Hs5 to Hs8. For me it sounded like the Hs5 has better midrange and the HS8 you lose the midrange quality and the lows may have cancelled out some of the highs.. hmmm... Very interesting.

https://youtu.be/iC_N5sszZ-o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: