Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos audio interface problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Kronos audio interface problem Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to this forum and would like to ask something.

When I connect the Kronos 88 platinum to the Macbook Pro with Studio One version 2, after short time the audio gets distorted. The Macbook is recently updated to SSD with 16 GB RAM because I needed this to do for Keyscape, so the Macbook is very quick now and has much RAM. When the Macbook is connected to the audio interface of the Yamaha MOXF there is no problem with distortion, also not when it is connected to a Yamaha Tyros. With the MOXF and Tyros I pushed the Macbook's CPU to the limit with heavy Keyscape/Omnisphere patches but no distortion problem. So only the Kronos gives the audio distortion. On internet I found out that I'm not the only one with this (probably, I am not sure) Kronos problem but I didn't find a clear solution. Are there Kronos users in this forum who have this problem also and know if there is a solution? Or a hint?

Addition. When the Kronos in connected to Studio One and I am not playing instruments or recording, so when I do nothing, after some time this message appears in Studio One: "The audio engine has been stopped, because the system became unresponsive due to an overload in the audio engine." So it looks like there is activity between the Kronos and Macbook/Studio One even when I don't do something.

I hope that someone recognizes this problem.

Greetings,
Jaap.
Birlie2k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaap, I'm new here too and just registered to answer your post...

I have the same problem, another user in my favourite board has this problem too. So it must be some sort of a driver problem.

Even if you don't use a DAW and just choose Kronos as Audio Out and play some music, after a while it gets terribly distorted. This does not occur on a PC with Windows.

I already wrote to Korg support, so as far as I get a helpful answer I'll post it here...

Just for the records:
Used hardware: Macbook Pro (Mid 2014), Korg Kronos 2015 88
Used software: MacOS 10.12.3, Kronos 3.1, Korg USB-Midi Driver 1.2.3r9
Jaap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Birlie,

Thanks for your reply. I also posted on other forums, did not contact the dealer yet, and I'll also post here if there is an answer. I just read a topic in this forum about the same problem. I read that it could have to do with the Mac having usb3 and the Kronos having usb2. There are several suggstions around. One of them is to delete the Korg driver. I'll try that tomorrow but I wonder if the Mac will 'see' the Kronos then.. In my case I use the Kronos for receiving audio from the Mac (Omnisphere and Keyscape), I didn't try to send audio from the Kronos to the Mac yet. I came on the other post by typing in Google a new search command: kronos problem mac.

If you use the Kronos for Audio Out what do you do then? Gitar or something?

Bye,
Jaap.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on learning curve, too. With MainStage/MS and Kronos,

I think USB is the way to connect with my MBP. I disconnect all USB devices except Kronos.

Then I reboot MS and it senses Kronos as an audio input and output.

I end up with distorted sounds, too. I have experimented with Kronos Global audio to attempt to clean up the signal.

I have more google searching to do on this. I might take a quick M/s course

In addition I am buying Keyscape next week- you guys are a step ahead.
Birlie2k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you use the Kronos for Audio Out what do you do then? Gitar or something?

No, I think this was just misunderstood... I choose Audio Out in the DAW, so in Kronos it is Audio In (Global -> Basic -> Audio -> Bus select USB1->L/R, USB2 ->L/R) and then listen to what the DAW, or Mac audio sends to Kronos...

On the other hand, you can record the Audio Out via USB from Kronos into the DAW digitally without any problems or distortion... so it seems to be a problem just with sending audio from mac to Kronos.

So I'll try to delete the driver - do you have any clue how? There is nothing in software or programs...
Birlie2k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i was able to delete the Korg USB Midi driver... rebooted and - still the same problem. So, I'll wait for Korg support answer and get back here...
bobmusic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaap wrote:
I read that it could have to do with the Mac having usb3 and the Kronos having usb2.

Hi Jaap, my Mac has USB2 and I have the exact same problem.
So it seems that USB3 vs USB2 is not the right direction for searching about that problem.
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
Jaap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Birlie and Greg. So it is the audio from the Macbook to the Kronos thats gets distorted, not the other way around. Well, that's good to hear. Deleting the driver was not a solution, sorry to hear. I wait for more answers, hopefully, and will contact the dealer next week. Will keep you informed.

Greg you will be very happy with Keyscape : )

Bye,
Jaap.
Jaap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert, so the problem is not with usb... Good to know.

Bye,
Jaap.
Drummond

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem. Using win 10 64bit.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a confirmed issue with the Apple USB core audio driver.
I've has the same error with Sierra, el Capitan etc.

It's a timing issue with Apple's own USB audio driver - I've successfully rolled back to a previous version that works.
Reported it to Apple, but nothing new so far.

I'm guessing that the MO is using Yamaha's own driver - Not Core Audio?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaap wrote:
One of them is to delete the Korg driver.

Note that there is no Korg audio driver; the Kronos is simply a USB class-compliant audio device, so it uses the built-in audio drivers of the OS. (There is a Korg MIDI driver, however.)

I wonder - what are you doing/listening to when this distortion occurs? If you use full-scale audio from the computer, added to full-scale audio from the Kronos, it will be easy to clip, for instance.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Drummond

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely not clipping. It is more like stuttering. If I use an audio player and start pausing, playing, fast forwarding etc suddenly the audio starts stuttering. Restarting the audio player will cure it but it will happen again. And it does it with any audio player I have tested. Don't know if that's exactly the same other people here are experiencing.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaap.

See my other thread about this issue.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=106681&highlight=

I believe firmly that this is an issue with the Apple USB Audio driver.
Jaap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the input! And link to another topic about this. I followed the advices but no result. I'd like to tell some new things.

1. Kronos midi In/Out to usb Macbook gives no problem. The audio comes out then via the headphone output of the Macbook and not via the Kronos. No distortion.
2. Background activities are minimal, no wifi, no App Nap, no mail, Safari etc., only Studio One.
3. Latest firmware is on the Kronos.
4. Removed the Korg driver, still distortion.

Bye,
Jaap.

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3, Macbook Pro early 2011, 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1333 mhz DDR3
SSD 500GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: