Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you using for stage amplification?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me correct myself -- I don't use the K8s as recording studio monitors (I don't record or produce). I use them in my studio as full range, flat response monitors to play back program material at high enough quality to rival consumer level reference monitors. Keyboard amps are too colored for that.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you call consumer grade reference monitors but I guarantee you that studio monitors in the same price category will give you a much, much better mixing experience. Don't get me wrong, QSC makes good stuff, I'm not dissing the speakers at all. I just can't stand marketing speak like that, it preys on the new buyer's limited understanding.

I'm glad you enjoy the speakers, I'm sure they sound great and if you're playing for enjoyment that's really all you could want. Not all studio monitors sound great by the way, and that's not even always a problem (e.g. Yamaha NS10). There's a huge misunderstanding that "accurate" is better. It isn't, it depends on the purpose.

Sorry if this all sounds very nitpicky or condescending, it really isn't meant to, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sander, I definitely appreciate your input and critiques, since it's clear you've got plenty of technical expertise and live experience. And I hear you on product hype. I'm generally critical and leery of commercials or advertising. I'll admit there were a couple times I fell for the allure of a product based on its promises, but had to return them because my ears told me otherwise (Prophet 12 module and the SpaceStation).

If I had the space and priority to set up a proper recording studio, I would not rely on the K8s alone for reference monitors. But since my space is square, small, and reflective, and I'm not zero-ing in on balancing track EQ and levels, I only need decent, faithful enough monitors that won't cause ear fatigue after extended listening periods. I A/B'd the QSC speakers with EVs, Altos, Peaveys, JBLs, and as many brands as I could that was available in local music stores. I wanted portability, clarity for music listening, volume for stage presence, accuracy for the Kronos, and power for bass guitar (with subs, I use no rig -- just bass split direct to sub and through Zoom B3 to PA). A very portable K8 + Behringer B1200D sub has served me well for a couple of years for practices, auditions, jam sessions, and house parties, whether for just bass guitar, just keys, or for both. For more volume, I add a Turbosound iQ15 sub and the other K8.

One of my pet peeves is the bad quality of live amplification in general, especially yesteryear's PA systems. That awful upper mid rangey coloration from horns, the harsh tweeters that echo off surfaces, the boomy subs without the lower mid range presence, and the general chaotic phasey non-flat frequency mess where you can barely understand the person next to you without shouting. I'm no super experienced soundman, but I know when I'm in the presence of one because the difference is night and day in a live environment. My ongoing goal is to get that clarity and volume live, and so far the responses at my gigs has been pretty good from owners, audience members, and the band. If only I could control the others' stage volumes more easily....
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add that I heard about the QSC K series here first and have since found them to be very good (I only really tried the 10s though).

A set of K8s or K10s would be nice especially if you also rehearse with others in that space. And actually also good for testing in a setup with actual reference monitors. And again, also just playing for enjoyment without wanting to be in the exact sweet spot of near fields all the time.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of sweet spot --

A couple weeks ago I re-arranged my studio to accommodate my newly acquired Andy. The dual keyboard rig is now in one corner of the room, and the speakers had to be moved. I settled for placing them at standing ear level at the adjacent corners. After experimenting with levels and angles of the speakers, I found a sweet spot that is pretty good at preserving the stereo image.

I loaded up the Kronos German grand, audience perspective, and layered it with the Integra Full Grand, -1 cents, and bam!, the image came alive with a sweet floating presence. I improv'd for 2 hours before coming out of the reverie.

Case in point: careful attention to phasing and EQ (room resonances) by adjusting levels and angles can make quite a difference.
steefgee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I use on stage 2 EV ZXA1-90b. They are realy something else. Most soundguys can not believe what they are hearing coming out of those little speakers. I route my Kronos to a little mixer and from the outputs to the EV's.
From the FOH desk i got an aux feed to my mixer and monitor that way evrything i want to hear trough my mixer and EV's.
I've placed the speakers behind the legs of my ultimate stand in wedge position. So the sound is coming from the Floor up.
Outputs 3/4 of the Kronos are for the FOH.
I'm really happy with this configuration
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the smaller band, I highly recommend the Yamaha DBR or DXR series powered speakers on stands and a sub. Myself, I have 2 x DBR-10's on stands and 1 x DXS-15 powered sub, all running through a 12 channel stereo mixer. The Yamaha powered pa speakers are affordable, very clear, loud and light-weight. My sub is on the heavy side, you need a small cart to lug it around. This system is excellent and great for a small band catering to small to medium sized venues, not enough for larger halls or for "head-bangers". PA system easily fits in my Acura MDX. The QSC's are also A1 but generally higher in price I found before I selected Yamaha. Just my 2 cents worth today on the topic. Check out Yamaha DBR or DXR series on the web to get the specs. I have been very happy with my setup. They also have a 7 year warranty !
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the smaller band, I highly recommend the Yamaha DBR or DXR series powered speakers on stands and a sub. Myself, I have 2 x DBR-10's on stands and 1 x DXS-15 powered sub, all running through a 12 channel stereo mixer. The Yamaha powered pa speakers are affordable, very clear, loud and light-weight. My sub is on the heavy side, you need a small cart to lug it around. This system is excellent and great for a small band catering to small to medium sized venues, not enough for larger halls or for "head-bangers". PA system easily fits in my Acura MDX. The QSC's are also A1 but generally higher in price I found before I selected Yamaha. Just my 2 cents worth today on the topic. Check out Yamaha DBR or DXR series on the web to get the specs. I have been very happy with my setup. They also have a 7 year warranty !
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
gnbutt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I hit the "submit" twice when nothing happened. Very Happy
Roland FA-06
KMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha DXR12 here, and it sounds great and plenty of power amongst a 3-guitar band (no, not a BOC trib lol) Cool
Fantoarium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there good people im new to this forum lot's of stuff to learn. I run My kronos thru a pair of presonus 312 studiolive . Ai together with the matching sub. These were the fifth speaker set I had home for testing driving the dealer nuts but for me it was all whort it .
mieszkothomas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: What are you using for stage amplification? Reply with quote

I've been using Peavey KB5 which handles beautifully with my KX73, added an additional Marshall 15'' bass cabinet for that extra punch on the low end, note that KB 5 is unbalanced inputs, still desiring the Roland KC880 Smile
holdsg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the QSC K12s and K10s. I have a pair of each, and use them interchageably depending on the size of room and how much air I need to move. K10s also make a very nice personal monitor when I am going thru a PA in a band setting.

I also just noticed that QSC has a new version of the K series out (K2, right?) and so you may start to see discounting a bit on the older closeout models.
jamesfinn82

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using a single Yamaha DXR10. cuts through my 6 piece. Need to add another for "stereo" in my own little cocoon on stage Cool
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our church uses 2 Yamaha DBR15's for the mains. I bought 1 to use as an on-stage keyboard monitor and was happy with it until I purchased the Kronos.

Set it up at home for couple months, during which time I used stereo headphones. Once I inserted it into my keyboard set-up "stereo to mono depression" set in immediately. Those beautiful acoustic pianos turned into mid-range clanging electric wanna-be's.

After wrestling with a number of eq ideas, I finally bit the bullet and bought 2 Yamaha DBR10's. Problem solved. Love them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: