Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Slice Tutorial.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Girls.
Download this file, and load it into your Triton.

http://www.irishacts.com/support/tutorials/slice.zip (860kb download)

What you have here is an 8 beat Ambient Loop played at 80bpm. But what we need is a loop playing at 120bpm. The problem is that if we time stretched this and preserved the pitch, the loop will sound absolutely terrible and will have some nasty noise side effects. So what we need to do is dice and slice this loop into a load of short single samples and time stretch each and every single one of those. The end result will be a loop perfectly playing at 120Bpm. You’ll actually be able to change the tempo of this loop when finished with the tempo wheel in SEQ mode. As you’ll be left with nothing but midi data triggering off a load of short diced samples. So you can adjust the tempo to 160 bmp if you like, it will make no difference to the sound quality.

So here goes.
1: Go to the Sampling mode by pressing the “Sampling” button

2: Press any key to hear the loop you’ve just loaded

3: Now go to page 2 and from the pull down menu select “Time Slice”

4: The Triton now needs to know a little about the loop you loaded, like how many beats, and what the original tempo is. So as you can hear, there’s 8 beats, and we know that the tempo is 80Bpm. So enter in that information now and then press OK.

5: Now you should see a grid displayed on the screen, by adjusting the sensitivity you can adjust the grid (slice locations). Set this to 30, and you’ll notice that the complete wave file has been divided at every point by peaks. Once done, press Save.

6: Now the Triton is displaying a load of information as to where to dump the new data. I want it to create a new multi-sample, and a program in my E bank, but I also want it to create everything in such a way that I can go directly to the sequencer mode and press play. But first I must Stretch the sample, so Set the Time Stretch BPM to 120 and press Stretch.

7: Now make sure the Save with “Prog” and “Seq Event” options are selected. And for save with “Prog” Select I-E 000. For the “Seq Event” make sure the following is selected. Song 000, Track 1, measure 1, 4/4, and lets set the “Times value to 10 to create a few measures longer. Once all that’s done press “Save”. When the Triton completes the task press “Exit”.

8: Now go to the SEQ mode and press the Start/Stop Button to hear your loop playing back. You’ll notice right away that is now playing perfectly at 120Bpm with absolutely no side effects. (Cool or What).

That’s pretty much all there is to this tutorial, other than have a look at what happens now when you adjust the tempo in the sequencer to 140 or more. Yes, you’ll hear everything speeding up perfectly with no side effects.

If anyone has any questions, please just ask. I hope you find this useful.

Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

Good stuff Sharp, thanks!

I'm going to have to get on board with all of this.

Chordial
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

Yeah it’s a pretty amazing feature.

It’s one of those things, that you really don’t know how great it is until you actually use it. I’m sure you’ll be impressed when you hear the end result.

Sorry for posting this in the Triton Studio Section only.
I’m going to have to download the Classic manuals to see how much of this all ties in. As it stands, I typed this up using the Studio as a reference. But I think they should be both pretty much the same.

Sharp.
Wink

chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

I guess that this will be moved to classic threads, once everyone's had chance to read it.

There's quite a library building up   Smile

Chordial
lonetech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

I tried it, and it works. Time-slicing is one of the major features that made the OasysPci such a powerhouse, as well. Cool

Lonetech Smile
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

Er...

The OASYS PCI did not have any time-slicing feature. It was not a sampler either. It's a synthesizer/effects processor and could play back samples (Version 2), but never offered Time Slicing.

That was first introduced in Triton OS Version 2 and carries forward into the Triton Le and Studio.

I too LOVE the OASYS PCI, but had to correct this small "mistake".

Regards,

Jerry

[quote author=lonetech link=board=triton-studio;num=1025525481;start=0#4 date=07/29/02 at 12:26:50]I tried it, and it works. Time-slicing is one of the major features that made the OasysPci such a powerhouse, as well. Cool

Lonetech Smile[/quote]
lonetech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Slice Tutorial. Reply with quote

[quote author=jerrythek link=board=triton-studio;num=1025525481;start=0#5 date=07/29/02 at 14:10:40]Er...

The OASYS PCI did not have any time-slicing feature. It was not a sampler either. It's a synthesizer/effects processor and could play back samples (Version 2), but never offered Time Slicing.

That was first introduced in Triton OS Version 2 and carries forward into the Triton Le and Studio.

You are right. My mistake.  :-[I was quoting from an earlier post on another forum, where KEY MAPPING was mistakenly called Time slicing. Surprised

Lonetech Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Classic Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: