Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get the best Hammond Organ sound?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackdove03

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: How do I get the best Hammond Organ sound? Reply with quote

I have the sv-1 and love it, except for the organ. My sv1 is one of the earlier models. The organ sounds that are in the keyboard just don't do it for me. I LOVE the Nord electro 5 Organ, but I don't like anything else about that keyboard. I have no idea how to do any of the soundpacks, but before I even delve into that... is it worth it. Is there a strong hammond organ sound out there for the sv-1? Thank you for your help
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many possible different Hammond organ sounds, it's hard to know whether there's a way to get what you're looking for out of the SV1 without your being more specific about what Hammond sound you're looking for. "Whiter Shade of Pale" doesn't sound like "Tarkus" which doesn't sound like "Green Onions"... or maybe you're looking for something jazzier... or more gospel...?

But just as a point of reference, between the three soundpacks, there are 14 Hammond organ sounds (2 of which use the RX layering feature to bring in additional drawbars, so there are some more possibilities there). There are certain things you can't get close to, but quite a few you can.

For my own use, in a rock context, I found that the key to getting sounds I liked was to use the amp simulations (overdrive). I decided I would limit myself to three Hammond organ sounds. I ended up selecting "Dark Jazz Organ" (aka "Jazz Org 2") with Amp 1 (also good with Amp 4), "Jazz Org/Perc 2" with Amp 4, and "Full Tonewheel" with Amp 6 (in all cases, adjust amount of amp overdrive to taste, I usually use a pretty good amount, but it would depend on the song). The first two are from SoundPack 1, and the third is a stock sound. Between those three very different Hammond organ sounds, I think I can cover most of what I'd need, if I didn't have a clonewheel available as well. (One thing to be aware of is to be careful about using the sounds that have percussion, as the SV1 organ sounds with percussion have percussion on every note instead of only triggering when not playing legato, which reduces authenticity.)

That said, you mentioned the Nord Electro 5 for organ, and an E5D would be a nice companion to the SV1, giving you the much better (and fully adjustable) organs as well as a better action to play them from. The SV1 remains stronger on the EPs. Although it sounds like you didn't like the Nord's APs, keep in mind that there are a number of alternate AP sounds you can load into it that you probably haven't heard, and also, they can play better if you trigger them from a weighted action (i.e. your SV1) via MIDI so you can try that as well. The Nord would also add some other common sounds that you can't get on the SV1 (things like harpsichord, vibes, marimba, flute, accordion...) plus you can load your own custom samples into it. Operationally, it is similar to the SV1 in emphasizing immediate direct control rather than lots of programming and menu diving, so I think someone who enjoys using one would probably enjoy using the other as well.
daytrippermc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I too am not liking the stock hammond sounds. as for specific, i can share the drawbar settings i'd like (and had on my electro 5), same for the VOX sounds.

I'm going to test out the 1 + 2 soundpack organs and see where that gets me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: