Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Best Of" Sound Packs Consensus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scanloni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: "Best Of" Sound Packs Consensus? Reply with quote

As an excited new owner of an SV1, I'm slightly overwhelmed with the 3 different sound packs. (Factory, SP1, and SP2). I just installed Sound Pack 2 as everything I've read indicates that SP2 definitely has the best acoustic piano sounds, and I don't recall reading anything negative about the rest of the sounds in SP2. However, I barely played the factory sound pack, and never played SP1 at all.

Honestly, I'd prefer to stick with just one complete sound pack rather than mix & match between the 3. But if, for example, the electric pianos ftom SP1 are significantly better than SP2, or the factory SP has by far the best organ sounds, etc I'd be willing to mix & match. I'm not really interested in super deep editing, or fine tuning the sounds with the editor. I just want the best basic presets, then I'll tweak those on the instrument itself.

I guess the simplest way to put it is, am I missing out on anything by just sticking with the complete SP2?

Thanks!
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a link to a thread called My SV-1 Soundpack... you can find it here
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103622

Note about the 3 soundpacks; Korg released the first two together and with those two sets the patches mix/match easily. The third/final soundpack Korg released is different; sustain levels are longer on the piano's; a number of the rhodes are a little darker as well.

When building a soundpack, if you find volume levels between patches don't match, use the SV-1 patch editor and go to the Limiter (only accessible in the patch editor) to adjust volume per patch. Here's a more detailed explanation I gave few years back;
i_am_binky wrote:
when i make a soundset i decide the average volume, then adjust the Gain for each patch via the Stereo Limiter; leave the ratio at 1:1, adjust the Gain as desired (most i've adjusted by is 9dB, normally it's more like 3dB +/-)

Also... if you're gonna roll your own soundpack, here's a list of the three soundpacks; useful for keeping track of what's where.

(created/posted by David Thomas)
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60020

Code:
                    Original            Soundpack 1         Soundpack 2
1.1                 Tine EP/Amp         TineEP&DmpRes       Standard E.P.
1.2                 Tine EP/Phaser      Bell Tine EP        Hard Tine E.P.
1.3                 Tremolo EP          Tine&Pad            Rockin' E.P.
1.4                 Dyno EP             Dyno&Voices         Vintage E.P.
1.5                 VPM Piano           VPM Piano 2         Hard Dyno E.P.
1.6                 VPM Tine            VPM Tine&Pad        Soft Dyno E.P.
2.1                 Reed EP 1           Reed EP 3           200A Reed E.P.
2.2                 Reed EP 2           Reed EP 4           200B Reed E.P.
2.3                 Electric Grand      E.Grand&Pad         Euro E.P.
2.4                 SG-1D Piano         M1 Piano            E.Grand Piano
2.5                 80s Synth Piano     SynPiano&Pad        Korg SG-1 Piano
2.6                 MIDI Grand          MIDI Grand&Pad      Classic VPM E.P.
3.1                 Clav AC             Clav AC 2           Soft AC Clav
3.2                 Clav BC             Clav BC 2           Soft BD Clav
3.3                 Clav BD             Clav Brilliance     Soft AD Clav
3.4                 Clav AD             Muted Clav          Soft BC Clav
3.5                 ElectroPno          ElectroPno 2        Treble Clav
3.6                 ElectraPno          ElectraPno 2        Brilliant Clav
4.1                 Grand Piano 1       Warm Grand          Grand Piano 1A
4.2                 Grand Piano 2       Piano&Strings       Grand Piano 1B
4.3                 Mono Grand          Piano&Choir         Grand Piano 2A
4.4                 Upright             Honky Tonk          Grand Piano 2B
4.5                 Piano/Strings       G.Piano&VPM         Mono Grand Piano
4.6                 Piano/Pad           Grand&Tine          Vintage Piano
5.1                 Click Tonewheel     Dark Jazz Org       Organ 1
5.2                 Jazz Tonewheel      JazzOrg/Perc 1      Organ 2
5.3                 Full Tonewheel      JazzOrg/Perc 2      Organ 3
5.4                 Console Organ       Rock Organ          Organ 4
5.5                 Italian Combo       Full Tonewheel 2    Organ 5
5.6                 Vox Combo           70's Combo          Organ 6
6.1                 Full Strings        Full Strings 2      Small Strings
6.2                 Tape Strings        Tape Strings 2      Strings
6.3                 70s Strings         TapeStr&Choir       400 Strings
6.4                 Choir               Piano&Voices        String Ensemble
6.5                 Synth Brass         Piano&SynBrass      Analog Pad
6.6                 Sharp Brass         Brass Pad           SV-1 Choir
Fav1                Grand Piano 1       Grand Piano 1       A.Bass & Piano
Fav2                Grand Piano 2       Grand Piano 2       E.Bass & Piano
Fav3                Tine EP/Amp         Tine EP/Amp         F.Bass & E.Piano
Fav4                Reed EP 1           Reed EP 1           SynBass&E.Piano
Fav5                Clav AC             Clav AC             Piano & Organ
Fav6                Click Tonewheel     Click Tonewheel     Split Organ
Fav7                Full Strings        Full Strings        PipeOrgan&Choir
Fav8                Sharp Brass         Sharp Brass         Pad & Lead

be aware there are a number of settings only available in the patch editor (like the entire limiter section mentioned earlier) so once you've got a basic collection worked out, you may find it easier using the editor to get the instruments where you like them performance-wise.

having said all that, you may prefer to just stick with SP2, which a number of posters have said they prefer the Rhodes and Piano sounds from; personal preference and all that, ie; I only use one of the Wurlie patches, had to max out the touch-sensitivity of it to get a response I liked.
Scanloni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_binky wrote:
here's a link to a thread called My SV-1 Soundpack... you can find it here
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103622

Note about the 3 soundpacks; Korg released the first two together and with those two sets the patches mix/match easily. The third/final soundpack Korg released is different; sustain levels are longer on the piano's; a number of the rhodes are a little darker as well.

When building a soundpack, if you find volume levels between patches don't match, use the SV-1 patch editor and go to the Limiter (only accessible in the patch editor) to adjust volume per patch. Here's a more detailed explanation I gave few years back;
i_am_binky wrote:
when i make a soundset i decide the average volume, then adjust the Gain for each patch via the Stereo Limiter; leave the ratio at 1:1, adjust the Gain as desired (most i've adjusted by is 9dB, normally it's more like 3dB +/-)

Also... if you're gonna roll your own soundpack, here's a list of the three soundpacks; useful for keeping track of what's where.

(created/posted by David Thomas)
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60020

Code:
                    Original            Soundpack 1         Soundpack 2
1.1                 Tine EP/Amp         TineEP&DmpRes       Standard E.P.
1.2                 Tine EP/Phaser      Bell Tine EP        Hard Tine E.P.
1.3                 Tremolo EP          Tine&Pad            Rockin' E.P.
1.4                 Dyno EP             Dyno&Voices         Vintage E.P.
1.5                 VPM Piano           VPM Piano 2         Hard Dyno E.P.
1.6                 VPM Tine            VPM Tine&Pad        Soft Dyno E.P.
2.1                 Reed EP 1           Reed EP 3           200A Reed E.P.
2.2                 Reed EP 2           Reed EP 4           200B Reed E.P.
2.3                 Electric Grand      E.Grand&Pad         Euro E.P.
2.4                 SG-1D Piano         M1 Piano            E.Grand Piano
2.5                 80s Synth Piano     SynPiano&Pad        Korg SG-1 Piano
2.6                 MIDI Grand          MIDI Grand&Pad      Classic VPM E.P.
3.1                 Clav AC             Clav AC 2           Soft AC Clav
3.2                 Clav BC             Clav BC 2           Soft BD Clav
3.3                 Clav BD             Clav Brilliance     Soft AD Clav
3.4                 Clav AD             Muted Clav          Soft BC Clav
3.5                 ElectroPno          ElectroPno 2        Treble Clav
3.6                 ElectraPno          ElectraPno 2        Brilliant Clav
4.1                 Grand Piano 1       Warm Grand          Grand Piano 1A
4.2                 Grand Piano 2       Piano&Strings       Grand Piano 1B
4.3                 Mono Grand          Piano&Choir         Grand Piano 2A
4.4                 Upright             Honky Tonk          Grand Piano 2B
4.5                 Piano/Strings       G.Piano&VPM         Mono Grand Piano
4.6                 Piano/Pad           Grand&Tine          Vintage Piano
5.1                 Click Tonewheel     Dark Jazz Org       Organ 1
5.2                 Jazz Tonewheel      JazzOrg/Perc 1      Organ 2
5.3                 Full Tonewheel      JazzOrg/Perc 2      Organ 3
5.4                 Console Organ       Rock Organ          Organ 4
5.5                 Italian Combo       Full Tonewheel 2    Organ 5
5.6                 Vox Combo           70's Combo          Organ 6
6.1                 Full Strings        Full Strings 2      Small Strings
6.2                 Tape Strings        Tape Strings 2      Strings
6.3                 70s Strings         TapeStr&Choir       400 Strings
6.4                 Choir               Piano&Voices        String Ensemble
6.5                 Synth Brass         Piano&SynBrass      Analog Pad
6.6                 Sharp Brass         Brass Pad           SV-1 Choir
Fav1                Grand Piano 1       Grand Piano 1       A.Bass & Piano
Fav2                Grand Piano 2       Grand Piano 2       E.Bass & Piano
Fav3                Tine EP/Amp         Tine EP/Amp         F.Bass & E.Piano
Fav4                Reed EP 1           Reed EP 1           SynBass&E.Piano
Fav5                Clav AC             Clav AC             Piano & Organ
Fav6                Click Tonewheel     Click Tonewheel     Split Organ
Fav7                Full Strings        Full Strings        PipeOrgan&Choir
Fav8                Sharp Brass         Sharp Brass         Pad & Lead

be aware there are a number of settings only available in the patch editor (like the entire limiter section mentioned earlier) so once you've got a basic collection worked out, you may find it easier using the editor to get the instruments where you like them performance-wise.

having said all that, you may prefer to just stick with SP2, which a number of posters have said they prefer the Rhodes and Piano sounds from; personal preference and all that, ie; I only use one of the Wurlie patches, had to max out the touch-sensitivity of it to get a response I liked.

Thanks for such a great reply.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Best Of" Sound Packs Consensus? Reply with quote

Scanloni wrote:
I just installed Sound Pack 2 as everything I've read indicates that SP2 definitely has the best acoustic piano sounds, and I don't recall reading anything negative about the rest of the sounds in SP2. However, I barely played the factory sound pack, and never played SP1 at all.

Honestly, I'd prefer to stick with just one complete sound pack rather than mix & match between the 3. But if, for example, the electric pianos ftom SP1 are significantly better than SP2, or the factory SP has by far the best organ sounds, etc I'd be willing to mix & match. I'm not really interested in super deep editing, or fine tuning the sounds with the editor. I just want the best basic presets, then I'll tweak those on the instrument itself.

I guess the simplest way to put it is, am I missing out on anything by just sticking with the complete SP2?!

IMO, yes, you are absolutely missing out. Each SP has a different set of sounds, supplementing rather than superseding the previous. Basically, there are 116 factory-supplied sounds (36 pre-installed, + 36 in SP1, +44 in SP2 which uses the 8 "favorite" locations for additional sounds), and there's no reason to assume that any one set will be your ideal... in fact, I'd say it is unlikely that any one set coincidentally ends up being anyone's ideal.

And it's not just a matter of different "versions" of sounds (i.e. soundpacks having different AP or Rhodes sounds), sometimes there are sounds in one pack that don't exist in any form in another. For example, since you are using the complete SP2, you have 6 Hammond organ sounds, but zero transistor organ (Vox, Farfisa, Lowery) sounds. You have no Korg M1, RMI, or Roland MKS-20 electric pianos. You have no honky-tonk piano. You have no brass-ish poly-synth. Now, maybe you don't need any of those sounds, but you can see that you're ending up with a kind of random combination of whatever happened to be in that one soundpack as opposed to a selection of what you specifically need, and it would only be coincidence if the two happened to align.

The SV1 Editor is easy to use. I suggest taking a little time to audition all 116 sounds (it's not an overwhelming number), and deciding which ones you like best (while also understanding that each is, in turn, a starting point for further tweaks you can make yourself, if you'd like).

My approach was to load in every sound of a type at once. For example, between the three sound sets, there are a total of 12 Rhodes sounds (plus some with layers, which you may or may not care about). I loaded in all 12 Rhodes so I could easily go back and forth to choose which I liked best. Personally, I ended up with two from the stock set, and two from soundpack 2.

Some strategies that helped me narrow things down:

...Sometimes what I liked about a preset was the effect. I found that I could just apply that effect to another EP that I otherwise preferred (an EP that by default had no effect, or none I cared about), and then I essentially got that "missing" EP back just by applying that same effect to the preferred EP and switching in that effect when desired, without taking up another slot.

...Similarly, sometimes what may strike you is just a difference in EQ, so you could possibly save a slot there. For example, I only wanted to use 1 slot for Mono Piano, and I liked both mono pianos... one sounded more "balanced" but I could see where the other might "cut" more in some contexts. But again, by loading both at the same time and comparing, I realized that I could get the "cutting" attribute of the second mono piano from the first just by boosting the midrange, something easy enough to do in real time on an as-needed basis, so there was no need to use up a second slot for that.

...Sometimes what I liked about a preset was its ability to be used in different contexts, but I later realized that it was something of a "jack of all trades, master of none" sound, where there would actually always be a better choice, so it was expendable. For example, you might listen to an EP and say, "gee, this one kind of works whether I'm playing a ballad or something more aggressive, cool." But if you think about it beyond that, you might realize that, while it works for everything, it's the best choice for nothing. That is, there's some gentler preset that would work better for the ballad, something harsher that works better for the rocker, and in the end, as long as you had those two available, there's probably no time you would ever actually choose to use the one in the middle. Now, if you're running out of locations, maybe you'll like the idea of saving a slot by choosing one sound that can decently handle two extremes, so I'm not saying that there's no use for such a sound (or you might just like it best). But if it turns out you're going to install the two that handle the extremes better, maybe you don't need the one in the middle, so you can free up that slot for something else. So again, loading up all the similar sounds at once can be helpful, because it's not just a matter of "do I like this sound" but more one of "do I ever envision this being the sound of choice, if I have these others available."

...Also, when auditioning the sounds, don't forget they're adjustable. If you hear something and think, "wow, that's almost really good, too bad it's so bassy," instead of rejecting it, remember that it's a simple matter to turn down the bass and save that version. Or "that might be a sound I'd use if it wasn't for that effect..." -- turn the effect off, and if you like it, save it that way!

Personally, I ended up selecting 38 sounds (leaving 6 of the 8 Favorite spaces free for their original intent of quick access to the most-needed sounds regardless of bank and/or being able to instantly save tweaked sounds on the fly). 19 were from the original set, 7 were from SP1, 12 were from SP2. But we'd probably all settle on a different set.
Samwayz73

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Best Of" Sound Packs Consensus? Reply with quote

"IMO, yes, you are absolutely missing out. Each SP has a different set of sounds, supplementing rather than superseding the previous. Basically, there are 116 factory-supplied sounds (36 pre-installed, + 36 in SP1, +44 in SP2 which uses the 8 "favorite" locations for additional sounds), and there's no reason to assume that any one set will be your ideal... in fact, I'd say it is unlikely that any one set coincidentally ends up being anyone's ideal.

Personally, I ended up selecting 38 sounds (leaving 6 of the 8 Favorite spaces free for their original intent of quick access to the most-needed sounds regardless of bank and/or being able to instantly save tweaked sounds on the fly). 19 were from the original set, 7 were from SP1, 12 were from SP2. But we'd probably all settle on a different set.[/quote]

Thank you for such a helpful reply. I have never used the sound editor (plugged my sv-1 into the computer!) so this thread is gold. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: