Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What new drive would we like to be added in Kronos ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
None whatsoever.

I'd prefer the KRONOS just died at this stage and KORG released a completely new workstation based on a 64bit OS which supports a truck load of RAM for streaming in HD-1.
Sharp

64 bit OS, with a modular synth engine... want HD1, you build it from the modular blocks.. Want AL1.. you build it... want a synth that combines a sample based oscilator, with a wavetable oscilator and a VA Sawtooth and 12 LFO's with sepperate filters for each oscilator...and then using the wavetable oscilator to modulate the Sawtooth, you build it...

With a kind of appstore, where everyone can sell, trade or offer for free their selfcreated engines and soundsets...

And Korg would offer new modules and stuff from time to time

strong quad core i7 inside or the AMD ryzen 7 (8 cores) with user upgradable RAM up to 64GB..

I think Kronos indeed is end of the line... They need something new and refreshing to build their next workstation... they also need to add a high end user interface on a 12"touchascreen, Kronos/oasys got a little dated... they can base most of the modules offcourse on the engines inside the Kronos and other stuff... Also i would like to see Karma 4.0 inside and 16 programmable drum pads... a sequencer based on ableton live with clips launching... and also an options to make those clips react to chord changes, much like the multipads of an arranger... and lights around the knobs and sliders like Oasys and Montage have... and top knotch studio and VST integration, with a dedicated VST host running on a PC controlled from the instrumetn

A long story.. but then one is allowed to dream... i think it would be a machine that could survive another decade, just like the Oasys Technollogy did... Starting as high end on top of the kronos, so not replacing it...

price... just under €5000...
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically speaking, I would like to see some filter types from the King Korg. I'm very happy with the Kronos and am not looking to buy a new model just yet.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Practically speaking, I would like to see some filter types from the King Korg. I'm very happy with the Kronos and am not looking to buy a new model just yet.

+1
I'd like to see a component model synth, where critical section [osc, filters,via,envelopes] have their presets/ choices for different flavours.

2 other JDT [just do]things I'd like to be addressed if Korg reads this are:
1. Global option to lock control surface to program/combi/karma or not. Right now it keeps switching to what ever was saved with program/combo, however there are time when you want to keep it at just the external or just Karma, when performing.

2. Modulation Matrix kind of page, basically a page, that just shows all the current ams assignments as a list, when clicking could just jump to the parameter page.
Sorry for off topic rant
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
I red somewhere that there was no MOD-7 drive in the former Oasis. It has been added upon an update. So I suppose it'd be possible in the Kronos too.

Yep, the OASYS only started with HD-1, CX-3, and AL-1.

STR-1, MS-20, PolySix, and MOD-7 were all added later. It's amazing what can be done just with an OS update! Honestly, I thought that Kronos was going to get the Bowed String and Brass modeller, but it never happened.

enigmahack wrote:
The thing is that the current hardware in the Kronos 2 **does** support more ram and 64bit... Sounds like we just need a new OS Wink

Like I said, amazing. Very Happy

amit wrote:
Modulation Matrix kind of page, basically a page, that just shows all the current ams assignments as a list, when clicking could just jump to the parameter page.

Yes!
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that point I totally agree with Sharp. Welcome to the next

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
billysynth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Sharp on this too.

Would like to see a new breed Synth.

Billy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

+1
I'd like to see a component model synth, where critical section [osc, filters,via,envelopes] have their presets/ choices for different flavours.

I have been thinking this, too.

We have 1000's of good ideas expressed but doubt that Korg is create a ' do it all ' W/s. For the simple reason, the cost would be too much.

Therefore, have a component approach that is modular. For example the HD1
is excellent - improve on this and add the large SSD, 64 bit OS, 16 meg ram.

Or that might be the core. Later I can add sampling , add/buy sound engines as needed.

The sound programmers can buy off that menu. Folks like myself, can buy later as the Sound Developers show their skills with the engine.

And Korg will minimize their product risk. For example, I think that Korg should avoid a Montage type mistake. IOW, don't recreate a $3600 ' performance synth' that has some basic limitations. ( no arguments)

Nevertheless, I think we are too late to the party with ideas for next gen.

Korg is much more attuned to the marketplace , the numerous platforms.
And if they are planning product launch this year, the product is mostly done.
musicsound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do not forget to add a low latency Asio audio interface to the new Kronos.
billysynth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly than anything else there should be no polyphony cut off when playing layered/combination mode live!!

Note cut off is clearly present on all work stations past and present, nobody has been able to overcome this problem that's why pro's stack rack modules on top of rack modules connected to their main keyboard, say a Kronos or Montage.

Fix the polyphony cut off!! I've had it with cut off! At least 8 programs in a combi should be able to take polyphony punishment.

Billy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth wrote:
More importantly than anything else there should be no polyphony cut off when playing layered/combination mode live!!

Note cut off is clearly present on all work stations past and present, nobody has been able to overcome this problem that's why pro's stack rack modules on top of rack modules connected to their main keyboard, say a Kronos or Montage.

Fix the polyphony cut off!! I've had it with cut off! At least 8 programs in a combi should be able to take polyphony punishment.

Billy

yep, some folks have experienced this. especially with ' custom combis ' etc.

Alternatively, are there any factory combis that really bug you because some of the programs cut out or notes drop ?
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth wrote:

Billy

8 programs, playing how many notes at once? How many oscillators / voices per note? Do notes overlap - how long are the sustain times? And so on... it's pretty easy to design programs on almost any workstation that use up most of the available polyphony with just a few notes playing at one time...processing power is never unlimited, so there will always be polyphony limits with a single CPU, no matter how fast it runs (although as CPUs get faster, polyphony usually increases, too)...as you note, that's why pros use stacks of modules; even then, each module has its own polyphony limits...with 8 modules playing say 128 sounds at once, you probably don't notice the note cutoffs...
billysynth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically the orchestral combi's that have note cut off problems.

I improvise a lot, left hand block chords of 4 to 5 notes and playing scales or simple lines with the right hand can create cut off.

It's virtually impossible, in an orchestral combi, to hit a low octave with the left hand, sustain that, and on top of that hit another chord with the left hand and at the same time play a melody with the right hand. I need two keyboards to do this. The Kronos is for my left hand parts in the form of arpeggios, scales and block chords while for example the Jupiter 80 is for the right hand parts. It's a nightmare co-ordinating all of this with 2 x sustain pedals among other things.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone please direct me to the post where a ton of peeps asked for a militia-engined synth similar to the OASYS but half the price, and the subsequent posts where you got exactly that but then did nothing but ask for more?

Why a keyboard with Omnisphere?? It's a VST - buy a Blade and you've got a 64-bit workstation with large touchscreen display that you're all asking for - do you have the portability though? No. Is it robust? No. Is it stable? No. Cheap? Pffft Is it modular? In a fashion Will Korg ever make such a mess in a box? I sincerely doubt it.

You want digital technology but it has to sound Analogue, you want sturdy and solid but it must be lightweight, portable and gig-proof, you want infinite memory and any sound possible but it has to be small, like a keyboard, and reasonably priced, like a shitty Mid-end PC? Does anyone have any concept of supply and demand? Research and development? Design? There's a reason the Blade 'workstations' look like a bus and behave like one.

What do you think the likes of Korg are working on while they sell the likes of a Kronos2? Kronos3? What you see is about 5 years old when you see it and the money from those sales pays for the next 5 years of development which is trying to keep up with an ever-evolving dynamic market and demands - keep dreaming, or just build the bloody thing yourself if it's all so simple.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Schmooster

Quote:
Why a keyboard with Omnisphere??

VST's are the direction the music industry has gone.

Quote:
It's a VST

The KRONOS is also a PC running virtual instruments.

Quote:
buy a Blade and you've got a 64-bit workstation with large touchscreen display that you're all asking for

The blade is more like something you build yourself in a garage. It's a computer desk that has a rack unit and keyboard built in, and was all assembled by parts you purchased off the shelf. Not exactly something that's portable at all.

Quote:
In a fashion Will Korg ever make such a mess in a box? I sincerely doubt it.

Nobody here is asking for a blade. A KRONOS replacement should look exactly like a normal KORG Workstation.

Quote:
You want digital technology but it has to sound Analogue, you want sturdy and solid but it must be lightweight, portable and gig-proof, you want infinite memory and any sound possible but it has to be small, like a keyboard, and reasonably priced, like a shitty Mid-end PC? Does anyone have any concept of supply and demand? Research and development? Design? There's a reason the Blade 'workstations' look like a bus and behave like one.

You don't seem to realise that the KRONOS is already based entirely on all that. It's a Linux machine running software. The hardware inside already supports 64bit. The software emulates various synthesis.

It's simply time for the next evolution. The KRONOS is an OASYS mark 2, which came out 12 years ago.

Quote:
What do you think the likes of Korg are working on while they sell the likes of a Kronos2? Kronos3? What you see is about 5 years old when you see it and the money from those sales pays for the next 5 years of development which is trying to keep up with an ever-evolving dynamic market and demands - keep dreaming, or just build the bloody thing yourself if it's all so simple.

A 64bit OS and a VST Host function is not a stretch of the imagination at all. It's 2017. Everything is 64bit now. Even my mobile phone has more RAM than my KRONOS.

Regards
Sharp.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hi Schmooster

Quote:
Why a keyboard with Omnisphere??

VST's are the direction the music industry has gone.

Quote:
It's a VST

The KRONOS is also a PC running virtual instruments.

Quote:
buy a Blade and you've got a 64-bit workstation with large touchscreen display that you're all asking for

The blade is more like something you build yourself in a garage. It's a computer desk that has a rack unit and keyboard built in, and was all assembled by parts you purchased off the shelf. Not exactly something that's portable at all.

Quote:
In a fashion Will Korg ever make such a mess in a box? I sincerely doubt it.

Nobody here is asking for a blade. A KRONOS replacement should look exactly like a normal KORG Workstation.

Quote:

You don't seem to realise that the KRONOS is already based entirely on all that. It's a Linux machine running software. The hardware inside already supports 64bit. The software emulates various synthesis.

It's simply time for the next evolution. The KRONOS is an OASYS mark 2, which came out 12 years ago.

Quote:

A 64bit OS and a VST Host function is not a stretch of the imagination at all. It's 2017. Everything is 64bit now. Even my mobile phone has more RAM than my KRONOS.

Regards
Sharp.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Although I wouldn't be adverse to a hybrid Kronos with some real analog built in but I don't know that anyone else would want that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: