Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos with Korg Nanopad2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like it to me. Have a look at page 793 of the param guide. If you reset the CC's to default, KARMA scenes look like they become remote-controllable. But it is a single CC (#30 by default), and it uses the value (0-7) of that CC to determine the scene.

I don't think the NP2 is that configurable. Looks like it can send CCs from the pads but will only send a 0 or 127.

Of course I don't have a NP2, so I'm not the expert for sure. Actually trying to figure out if it's worth picking one up so thought I'd look into it.

Just curious... why do you want to do this when there are already dedicated buttons on the K for switching KARMA scenes? I'm sure you have a good reason but it's eluding me. Smile
sj1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
It doesn't look like it to me. Have a look at page 793 of the param guide. If you reset the CC's to default, KARMA scenes look like they become remote-controllable. But it is a single CC (#30 by default), and it uses the value (0-7) of that CC to determine the scene.

I don't think the NP2 is that configurable. Looks like it can send CCs from the pads but will only send a 0 or 127.

Yes, that's my analysis also. At this point I'd be surprised if that's not the final analysis.

When working with the KARMA software (rather than just the Kronos itself) I'm used to having chord pads and scene pads right next to each other (on the NP2) placed at any convenient location of my choosing. If that were possible when working directly with the Kronos only then I would want to do it. That's all.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC#s can be sent from the nanoPAD2 pads, but only having the value 0.

The XY pad allows CC# messages containing non-zero values to be sent. Although Karma scenes can be changed using the XY pad, it's a completely impractical method for controlling Karma scenes on the Kronos. Even with the velocity curve set to "heavy", all the Karma scene changing action happens at one end of the XY pad and is imprecise, to say the least.

Interestingly, the original nanoPAD appears to have the ability to set individual on and off values for CC# messages generated by each of the pads. This is based only on the Korg Kontrol Editor's user interface behaviour for the nanoPAD. Whether the hardware itself works like this in practice is another matter but the nanoPAD has only 12 pads, and the Kronos will grab the first 8 to map to the Kronos' "chord pads".
krossuser4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Nanopad2 - Kronos question Reply with quote

Hello voip and others.. Nanopad2 and Kronos question

How can I programm Nanopad2 and Kronos to
change lead sound- programm, if I play sequencer or Combi?

Or how I can mute-unmute with Nanopad2 Kronos tracks?

What controllers parameters I use to change with Nanopad2 Kronos programm banks?

And please all write your experiences as you use Nanopad2 with Kronos

thanks

voip wrote:
Out of the box, the nanoPAD2's top row of pads will trigger the 8 programmable chord pads that are associated with each Program and Combi, whilst the lower 8 pads trigger single notes. The nanoPAD2 is also useful for playing Kronos drum kits.

The nanoPAD2 pads can be programmed using the Korg KONTROL Editor software, downloadable from the Korg website.

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/158/

The X-Y trackpad control surface can be mapped to changing Program or Combi effects parameters and, out of the box, sends Control Change messages 1 and 2 for X and Y, and can markedly affect the sound of a Program or Combi, and leave it altered, seemingly mangled. In many cases, the changes can be restored by tapping the trackpad at bottom left i.e. X=0 and Y=0 and will not be made permanent unless the Program or Combi is saved.

Install the Korg MIDI drivers before connecting the nanoPAD2. The Korg KONTROL editor can be used with several other Korg controllers, such as the nanoKEY, nanoKONTROL and Taktile deivces.

The editor allows customising the nanoPAD2 to make each pad transmit a wide range of note, control change, or program change messages.

It seems rather pointless to use the nanoPAD2 to change Karma scenes, since the buttons to do this are already to hand on the Kronos top panel. However, it might be a useful as an exercise to better understand the workings of the Kronos, in which case the front panel buttons on the Kronos can be assigned specific CC message numbers in the "Controllers" tab, and the Program Up/Down in the "Function Assign" tab. Both tabs are found in the Global "Controllers / Scales" tab. The nanoPAD2 pads will need to be programmed to match these settings. Care needs to be taken in selecting CC# messages, since some are already allocated to doing stuff, like damper pedal and modulation.

Playing big fat chords, spanning several octaves, is one very useful application of the nanoPAD2. The chords themselves can be set up e.g. for SGX-2 pianos the "Pads" tab under the "Common" "button", and for Combis the "Pads" tab can be found under EQ/Vector/Control, accessible from the main screens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: