Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer new Model D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
The Mini D is just a rack, so there's plenty of money to be saved

plus Chinese manufacturing.

As for whether it will sound like a Moog? Yeah, probably. At least as much as a MiniMoog, Voyager, Phatty, Sub 37 etc. all sound like a Moog, even if they don't sound exactly like each other.

I think Koekepan's right about market segmentation... Hyundai is not putting Toyota out of business, Toyota is not putting Mercedes out of business, etc.

It's not just a matter of what it sounds like, or the placement of the controls. There's an overall aesthetic, a mystique, status, resale value, brand reputation, etc. I think Moog will do just fine regardless.

I remember when you'd buy a Korg Polysix because you couldn't/didn't want to spend the money on a Prophet V, etc. (Yeah, Sequential Circuits went through rough times, but not because they were driven out by cheaper analog synths... rather, analog synths were no longer the big thing, and they were not diversified enough to have anything else to carry them.)
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

plus Chinese manufacturing.

More to the point, it's their own factory. It's for reasons like that Behringer can do it more cost effective, and maintain direct in house control over quality. They are not dependent on an external OEM suppliers in the same way other manufactures are at all.

Sharp
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors are rife that Behringer is also now considering an ARP2600 and an Oscar clone.

Could just be pipe dreams. I'll believe it when I see them in my local store.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on how their Moog will sound, but their new poly has had good reviews.

I own 3 Berhinger rackable line mixers in my various racks, stereo DI box and a stage amp and they are all top notch quality and rock solid.

So, give them a chance to see what they come up with. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
PatrickD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Pooh
Lets get some skin in the game.
I'm gonna run down and get one of these!
https://www.moogmusic.com/products/modulars/emerson-moog-modular-system
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope their Moog clone comes with extra magic smoke. Usually there's only enough magic smoke in Behringer gear for it to come out once - if they put spare magic smoke in there it could conceivably last even longer!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickD wrote:
Ah Pooh
Lets get some skin in the game.
I'm gonna run down and get one of these!
https://www.moogmusic.com/products/modulars/emerson-moog-modular-system

No you're not. There were only 12 made, and they sold out in a matter of days.

That made me realize there's a LOT of people in this world with more money than me...

..Joe
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No you're not. There were only 12 made, and they sold out in a matter of days.

Damn. I want me one of those. Now where did I put that lottery ticket I bought last week...

Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up waiting for the Behringer D (still not expected to be in stock until March 17th).

So I gave the SE-02 a try, and immediately sent it packing - UGH!

I've ended up building the Guin Guin MME DIY Minimoog Clone, and I have to say that it's really very good. Nothing from the original has been changed, other than a few (Moog) factory recommended amendments and the addition of manual Pulse Width and sync. The VCOs are the second revision (CA3046/1k TempCo), and are very stable.

I've used the cheaper PCB set, as it's eventually going to be put in a Sapele/Mahogany cabinet - Cost so far is £234, but I did have quite a few required components hanging around.

megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
I gave up waiting for the Behringer D (still not expected to be in stock until March 17th).

So aside the fact your fingers hit the knobs beside the one you are turning, what was UGH! about it?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Broadwave wrote:

So aside the fact your fingers hit the knobs beside the one you are turning, what was UGH! about it?

The footage switches were way too tough to rotate... Keeping your hands on the unit to prevent it sliding all over your desk while you change octaves?

Too easy to knock VCO 2 & 3 out of tune while changing octave and/or waveforms.

I just ended up getting angry with it - It was just too cramped.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:

Should of spent more time with it and learned how to use it. The SE-02 is pretty amazing but it's not made to emulate or be a moog it's made to sound like what it is an SE-02. If you want a moog sound buy a moog.

and Yes I own a Moog.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, here's some ontopic content in an attempt to be a good forum member, like how Andy Warhol put talk about the Vietnam War into his film "Blue Movie" starring Viva!

Behringer get a bad rap for old-mate ripping off Mackie amongst others in the early days, fair enough. And they seem to be continuing that M.O. with the Model D and the just announced for real VC340. I really don't know what to make of that as I didn't know they did this until after owning two Behringer mixing consoles that were better than their price point. In fact everything I've owned that is from them is good, long lasting and does what it says on the box exactly. The BCR/BCF controllers are know as two of the best MIDI controllers ever made.

To be brutally honest, the world needs another Moog filter-imbued synth like it needs another hole in the ozone, but there are those who have immortalised the tranny-ladder and for them there will never be enough of them. Thank the synth-lords that Korg have their versions of that filter and they don't weed-up when the resonance goes into self-oscillation.

Broadwave wrote:
megamarkd wrote:
Broadwave wrote:

The footage switches were way too tough to rotate... Keeping your hands on the unit to prevent it sliding all over your desk while you change octaves?

Too easy to knock VCO 2 & 3 out of tune while changing octave and/or waveforms.

I just ended up getting angry with it - It was just too cramped.

Right, I feared that it would need a controller to be used by anyone with adult fingers. It sounds wonderful but all the mini-everything will stop me from owning one. Even the minijack sockets look like they were originally going to be for mini banana jacks. Oh well. We'll see if Korg makes a new Volca this year to compete with the SE-02 (which will actually be a hard task beyond getting the knobs and connectors right).

Roland seem to have lost their way with synths. Not counting the SE-02, they aren't releasing anything new that isn't an attempt at recouping perceived losses from discontinued products being sold for more than their original retail on the 2nd hand market. The Jupiter/Juno range never went anywhere, in name, but they ain't a spec on the namesakes. Oh yeah, when was the last Fantom?

The MC Groovebox range was not bad at first but then matured into some brilliant jam boxes that doubled as mini production centres. The concept was not completely original but they did invigorate the live dance production scene with nobody really coming close to the MCX0X's popularity. Since then it's been a few new models of their workstation synths (never a Roland strong point though) and few unfinished product lines. The Aira's should have received more instruments before moving onto the boutiques. Korg and Yamaha scared them I think, but like the big name beer brewing companies, all three of the big Japanese companies were feeling the impact of the 'craft' synth.....

Of course they do more than synths and drum machines with their accordions whatnot, but let's be honest, Roland are famous for synthesisers with most people and their digital pianos to a lesser extent. Roland is becoming more and more synonymous with digital printing also.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:

Roland seem to have lost their way with synths.

No they haven't. People just spend more time complaining about what they want their synths to be "recreations of the past" instead of embracing what Roland is aiming for "Synths for present and future music". The System 8 and JDXA/I are pretty powerful sounding synths. The boutiques they dropped are loaded with sounds in these mini packages but people can't seem to look past the knobs and the size of the units and forget that roland stuffed gear that cost 1-3K originally into a little box for 300+bucks now that to me as a gear head is pretty cool. On the System 8 Roland even throws in the Jupiter and Juno plugouts on the System 8. Roland is like Korg they like to more forwards with their synths but people can't seem to get over where they've been instead of where they're going. The Jupiter 80 was powerful as hell as far synths go the supernatural engine is incredible but people just couldn't get past the name and it not being analog. It's like they ignored how powerful it was as a synthesizer. Never heard anyone that owned one complaining about how it sounds only the lack of it having a librarian. Also what I hate the most is that people over looked the Modular releases that Roland did. The Roland SYSTEM-1m and System 500 series. Roland dropped and is dropping A LOT of gear. Just feels like people are stuck in the past and ignoring what Roland is doing in the present.

As far as Behringer gear goes I always liked their stuff if I couldn't afford the expensive stuff Behringer had something that could do the same job but was actually affordable. They got a bad rap when cheapskates would buy their gear and expected the same results as something 4-5 times it's price then they would go bashing it. Their old EQ's,Tube systems were nice even their mixers were good. I'm not surprised about the stuff they're doing now with the Deepminds or the Model D. Behringer to me always had good customer support and decent products for the price. 3500 vs 300. I'll take my chance with the 300. Moog is over priced you're paying for "Prestige".
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough regarding Roland fanboys wanting stuff different to what Roland buyers are buying, but those of us who aren't Roland fanboys or regular customers have issues with becoming customers when products won't integrate with current set-ups such as their modular power supplies not being eurorck/doepfer standard, or any other standard, necessitating a second psu in the skiff or a dedicated skiff, otherwise I'd own some Roland modules considering they are actually reasonably priced for modular gear. As much as you can say "oh size shouldn't be an issue" I can say but it is a huge issue. I am a much better musician than composer, so touching these things is super important. I'd rather a SoundCanvas with no knobs and a MIDI in than have to not touch dial emblazoned front panel because I'll can't touch one dial without disrupting another. They are very pretty dials though.

I have to admit I'm not interested at all in rompulers or workstations so have ignored their Junos/Fantoms/FA's for years now. I also have to say that I was spoilt for the both for years. You've inspired me to check the Roland offering in these areas, but they didn't continue the inspiration you ignited unfortunately.

What would be nice if Behringer was to make an additive synth. I would go really well with their great controller boxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: