Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automatic chord voicing using Karma?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Automatic chord voicing using Karma? Reply with quote

A feature I saw on a Roland keyboard was the ability to automatically voice a brass section. For example, if you played a Cm7 chord, with a section consisting of a bari sax, trombone, tenor sax, and trumpet, it would give one note of the chord to each instrument so that you have 4 mono voices spelling the Cm7 rather than 16 voices (4 for the bari, 4 for the trombone, etc).

Is there a way to do this with Karma? Or perhaps even a close approximation, say using mono brass voices and having Karma always assign the top of the chord to the trumpet and the bottom to the bari sax?

Come to think of it, maybe I can do this with RPPR, but I'm still curious if Karma could do this somehow...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic chord voicing using Karma? Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
A feature I saw on a Roland keyboard was the ability to automatically voice a brass section. For example, if you played a Cm7 chord, with a section consisting of a bari sax, trombone, tenor sax, and trumpet, it would give one note of the chord to each instrument so that you have 4 mono voices spelling the Cm7 rather than 16 voices (4 for the bari, 4 for the trombone, etc).

Is there a way to do this with Karma? Or perhaps even a close approximation, say using mono brass voices and having Karma always assign the top of the chord to the trumpet and the bottom to the bari sax?

Come to think of it, maybe I can do this with RPPR, but I'm still curious if Karma could do this somehow...

I would use the Kronos/pads for this. an 8 note chord per pad. And use the Nanaopad
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, that's a possibility for sure. But to fulfill the one instrument per note requirement, I'd have to lay out 4 zones across the keyboard, all on MIDI channel 1, and with each zone dedicated to one of the brass instruments. Then I would have to spell out each chord by pressing and holding the bari sax part, then the trombone part in the next zone, then the tenor sax and trumpet, and finally assigning that to a pad. Then repeat for each chord.

My current funky brass and keys combi already takes up all of the K61 keybed real estate. I suppose I could create another combi and offload the main parts onto the second keyboard controller, and reserve the K61 keys to spread out the parts as above. I usually use the FCB1010 to trigger the pads, but in this case I'll need quick and velocity response. I take it the NanoPad is velocity sensitive.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot. Still would be neat to use Karma for automatic voicing though, if possible...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Greg, that's a possibility for sure. But to fulfill the one instrument per note requirement, I'd have to lay out 4 zones across the keyboard, all on MIDI channel 1, and with each zone dedicated to one of the brass instruments. Then I would have to spell out each chord by pressing and holding the bari sax part, then the trombone part in the next zone, then the tenor sax and trumpet, and finally assigning that to a pad. Then repeat for each chord.

My current funky brass and keys combi already takes up all of the K61 keybed real estate. I suppose I could create another combi and offload the main parts onto the second keyboard controller, and reserve the K61 keys to spread out the parts as above. I usually use the FCB1010 to trigger the pads, but in this case I'll need quick and velocity response. I take it the NanoPad is velocity sensitive.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot. Still would be neat to use Karma for automatic voicing though, if possible...

It is a challenge. I like brass and horn sections. There might be 1 or 2 combis/programs that have the instruments and utilize more channels with Karma. Might be worth a study as a baseline. I think I read you can fire up to 64 parts with Karma. For me, Karma is difficult to break down on the Kronos. You might need the software to unleash the power of Karma.

I like the SEQ . You can set up 16 midi tracks quickly without fussing on keyboard zone mapping. Just another idea.

yes, the NanoPad is velocity sensitive. Heres a dumb idea- what if you pressed 3 or 4 pads at once after building your sections ? if that has a chance that is a 32 note chord. ( or 24)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I'd use the SEQ instead of a combi is because of RPPR. This is for situations which are less scripted and more dynamic... the drummer won't be using a click track at all. At best I'd just trigger optional phrases that aren't too dependent on exact timing.

Regarding 24 or 32 note chords... I'm trying to achieve the opposite, actually. Cm7 has 4 notes, so the bari would play the root, the trombone the 5th, the tenor sax the 7th, and the trumpet the minor 3rd. That's it. No more and no less, unless there are octave or unison riffs. It's not critical, but it would add a bit of realism and, if panned, a lot of space while filling up the space, if you know what I mean, instead of a generic MIDI cluster chord...
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great feauture.
Wondering if that is a roland with supernatural™ ?
Always considered roland a good second keyboard but not a replacement or substitute for Kronos.

Smart Scan and note map come to mind from Karma, but i have no real clue about that. I never do anything with Note map other than look around in there, and only thing i ever did with smart scan was disable it when it was doing stuff that ran against the grain of what i wanted. Seems the Karma features are more arppegiator related anyway, while the roland feature seems like an auto-zoning arranger.
I know Karma can come up with accompaniment chords as you press a note but i think you set up how it does it and it may be limited to arppegio style functions rather than zoning various programs into a chord. Seems like 4 modules can each take a program and then set each module up to handle/zone just one note of the chord and then the Master module may be able to coordinate the four modules into arranging the programs into the chord. Wishfull thinking and still i have no clue.
I have something to really think about now. I know i will explore this and end up with something new on kronos even if it is not close to the Roland feature described.

I do know how to set up a combi with 4 brass timbre programs only and each brass timbre zoned to one note of the chord and in the order that i want.
Then play the chord and resample the combi as i play the chord. Take the resulting sample to covert to a new program and assign that program to one note in one timbre or even one note in a chord pad setup, all in the combi I intend to perform in. Its not as natural-playing friendly as the Roland feature and is work intensive by comparison, but the end result is effective and minimal drain of polyphony.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, re-sampling... I hadn't considered that, thx 19naia.

I'm not up to speed with Karma, but I do know it has 4 modules that you can work with to do certain things like re-direct MIDI channels. Was hoping maybe there was some feature there that would take the lowest note of a chord and assign it to a specific instrument, then the next note to the next instrument, etc.

Here are some examples of the Roland ARX-03 Brass Supernatural expansion demoing the automatic chord voicing feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtGc68dNMc (about 3:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtGc68dNMc (about 3:19)
mikeyd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about posting this on the Karma Lab KRONOS Forums? Maybe others have had this question as well. Stephen is also really good about being helpful with a his kind of request.

Let us know.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about the Karma forums. I just registered and asked there.

The forum and the Wiki is chock full of good info! Looks like this might be the year I get a good working knowledge of the Karma...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: