Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Full Size ARP assembled in NY is ... AMAZING!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: The Full Size ARP assembled in NY is ... AMAZING!!! Reply with quote

The Full Size ARP arrived today. A word of thanks to David Friend and the Korg staff in New York ... this beast looks, feels, and sounds ... AMAZING!!!
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my KARP, I am , however curious if the tone between the KARP and the full size is similar or vastly different.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the board itself is big in every way. Faders are full 2 inches, where as MINI are 1 3/4., so in length FS gives ya that extra 1/4 of granular sound. The pitch controls are bigger, seem deeper, and more ... IMO ... easier to use. Ok, sound wise, now this may "SOUND" strange, but very similar, except the FS, no pun intended, sounds fuller ... Smile If I could figure out how to post a pic side by side I would, not sure if we can post pics in this forum.

Again, the sound of both "VERY" similar, but, IMO, FS sounds fuller, but that could all be psychological ... Smile. Ok, also the power has changed from a wall wart to a REALLY thick power cable connected to a power bar, which that end plugs into the ARP.

When ya see a good side by side pic, ya really get an idea of the new size footprint.

If you have not seen a side by side yet, post your email, i'll send pics
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review I will pm my email if you don't mind sending me the side by side pic. Thanks!
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bertotti,

Just sent ya two sets of pics via email along with some notes on Side by Side Mini me and Full size ... Smile.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting your comments on the FS ARP power supply. I wonder a lot if the fullness attained by bigger models comes down to beefier power supplies instead of the little switch mode boxes. I know there was some talk on the 190+ page Minilogue thread at gearslutz from a dude who built his own linear power supply for his Minilogue and it ended up improving the sound and giving more bottom end.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked on Sonics thanks got them and replied. I appreciate it!

John01w I wonder about power supplies often. Just coming from guitar pedals it is amazing out good power does make a difference. I'm not saying these little wall warts are bad but like everything there can be better alternatives.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John01W wrote:
Interesting your comments on the FS ARP power supply. I wonder a lot if the fullness attained by bigger models comes down to beefier power supplies instead of the little switch mode boxes. I know there was some talk on the 190+ page Minilogue thread at gearslutz from a dude who built his own linear power supply for his Minilogue and it ended up improving the sound and giving more bottom end.

That's what we're thinking, hoping Broadwave see's this and chimes in. Plus, instrument size wise, the FS is night and day as Bertotti can now attest to via the side by side pics we sent him, it's a BEAST ... :-0.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and seeing that it is 80% of the original size does not do justice to the difference in size once you see them. For size alone I am glad i have the Karp because I like to take it to hotels with me when I travel. The FS would be just that much more to lug around, not huge but certainly not as manageable as the Karp. I am still curious about the power supply though.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I knew more. I thought of asking if one of the rack builders would build me a custom linear power supply, but I don't want to void my warranty with Korg. I wonder how Korg would feel about it? I can confirm what you said about powering analog pedals.....The PP2+ I power my pedals/pedalshelf with certainly cleaned up my signal.

Switching power supplies are pretty noisy and in an analog synth, I have no doubt they would introduce some distortion/noise and harshness compared to an analog/linear power supply.

Voodoo lab has many offerings, but none that will put out 1.7 to 2 amps on a single connector unfortunately and they can be pricey.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great !

But I am waiting for a new ARP 2600 from Korg !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: