Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

control knobs with pointer stripe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plutonia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: control knobs with pointer stripe Reply with quote

why do korg produce fantastic synths with all black knobs that make it difficult to see the setting? the older synths, like polysix/monopoly etc always had knobs with pointer strips. owners have to resort to painting white strips on, or buying knew knobs for their synth so that they can see its settings. it's ridiculous!
Mikey S

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Bic Wite-Out pen. It's tiny work, but I drew white paint into the slots, and carefully wiped off the excess from the sides of the slot. After a few tries, one knob at a time, I got better at it. I only did the tops of the knobs, not the slot leading down the sides. Looks pretty good to me! An hour's work, and only a few bucks.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about getting some of the smaller fiber optic glass like we use in Rifle sights and gluing it to the knobs.
moho

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I thought about getting some of the smaller fiber optic glass like we use in Rifle sights and gluing it to the knobs.

I was thinking along the same lines but with an L shaped piece of brass or copper rod.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moho wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines but with an L shaped piece of brass or copper rod.

I gave that a thought as well but the darn fiber optic sure does work well in low light and that is something I would like. I think I will stop by my gun shop today and see what it might cost.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the stuff I was thinking about. I am undecided as to the size yet.
Truglo Replacement fiber optic
Granted this stuff needs some external light to really work well it does not just shine on its own.
There is already a groove on the knobs of the Minilogue which are just shy of 1mm, .040 is minimally over 1mm. I would use a small dab of clear silicone in the groove and lay the fiber optic in it. I wonder how well that would work. I also see the glow in the dark liquid you could paint into the groove. That might be a better option if you plan to play in dark areas but it needs light to remain charged, I think.

One glow paint example is
siteglo
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked into the fiber optic on end not is very bright but on the side or lengthwise it isn't. Maybe it is still useable but I would need to mount it so the end pointed up and the side had access to external ambient light, gathering light form the sides is what makes the end glow so well. My local shop wanted 3$ an inch so I passed. Much cheaper on line and I am not sure I will go this route now.
Mikey S

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine with the Wite-Out

http://www.mikespieth.com/Misc/minilogue/minilogue.html
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey S wrote:
Here's mine with the Wite-Out

http://www.mikespieth.com/Misc/minilogue/minilogue.html

Looks pretty good! I'm thinking of some florescent paint I have.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
Stopped by the local Hobby lobby and picked up these paints
Testors fluorescent acrylic paint
I figure it will be bright enough but I am not sure if I will use one color for all knobs or maybe group them together with different colors Like Amp e.g. gets a color and anything that adjusts the amount of am e.g. in any given area would be the same color etc.
If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on using a single color or multiple colors to help define knobs and their association to other areas please post them. Thanks!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the white out is probably the cheapest and brightest alternative but I did go with he fluorescent paints. White primer in the groove and fluorescent yellow over top. looks good not as bright as white until a blueish light hits it then it just glows! I may color code the tops of the knobs with the other colors to group things to gather better but truthfully I'm not sure how I want to group them. If you have any thoughts on that please share! Here are two pics sorry I couldn't get img to work. A bit of cleaning up to do my brush was a bit long and I was a bit messy and should have used a magnifier, my eyes were not working we'll late last night.

https://pix.sfly.com/tOWrYQ
https://pix.sfly.com/ySNyms
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using these flexible led strips you can cut to length or add length to to illuminate their rigs? I'm looking for some option either uv or color changing to get a more blue hue to help the fluorescent steps really stand out. I tested them with a uv flashlight and they really look good.
Mikey S

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably seen these. Kind of pricey.

https://www.jrrshop.com/korg-minilogue-aluminum-knob-kit?gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW5VpIKPjiw22BFUeIfZQNaFpel-zjlOIGHZgeiOhJZVRoC7Arw_wcB
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always do what I do on my pistol sights. Get some Las Vegas hooker neon green nail polish. Lasts well, easy to remove if necessary, cheap, and very highly visible.

Or you could just get one of those lamps for illuminating your rig.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all but Inthink I wasn't clear enough. I have already painted fluorescent stripes on my knobs, what I am looking at are the lighting strips rather then using a regular fluorescent or incandescent bulb. The Led strips can be cut to length and are somewhat flexible so that you can mount them under shelves or cabinets or anywhere you want. I am modifying my desk and was thinking of adding these under the front edge of the shelf using UV or a hue light that will go purple enough to take full advantage of the painted stripes capabilities. Have any of you used those?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: