Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inserting drum fills and breaks in sequencer mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkalna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Inserting drum fills and breaks in sequencer mode Reply with quote

Hi there

How do I insert drum fills and breaks (patterns) into my song in sequencer mode
and where do i find those patterns on Kronos? Do I have to use Karma for that?

Any help is appreciated.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma is one way of doing it and it takes work to find the right pattern and adjust parameters for the right fill. You could have Karma do all the drum pattern parts rather than drum track.

Another option: Record while Manually playing the keys for fills if you are a good finger drummer (The recording can then be saved as a User pattern via RPPR).

There is Pattern RPPR that lets you work with patterns that can go into drum track later. RPPR lets you take a preset pattern and edit it in a user pattern slot. Editing with a step sequencer style of working. You can take out notes and add notes, make the part shorter or longer, volume/velocity of each note and so on. You can record overdub of two patterns in one track to get a hybrid rythm and edit the end result for more fine tuned fill pattern.
You can record Karma patterns to a midi track and then open that track midi data in RPPR and create a user pattern that can be edited and used in RPPR or just run as a sequencer drum track.

Not much in the way of preset drum-track patterns that come with a set of related fills, intros and endings, but there is a lot that Karma can do and a lot that can be put together with RPPR. RPPR is equipped to orchestrate entire drum songs with any kind of intros, breaks, fills or endings you want. Of course you will have to use step recording or realtime finger drumming on the keys.

There is also use of external devices that can be run from sequencer songs. Midi drum machines with all the intros, fills and endings preset for selection. You can do the drum parts there and then dump the midi data into kronos track and use that track to drive the drum machine.
There can be issues using an external drum machine to drive Kronos drum programs. The sample array usually varies between Kronos drum programs and external drum machines. A snare note position on kronos may not be a snare note position on the drum machine and the midi data does not tell the difference and ends up playing wrong notes. Kronos lets you change the samples around in a drum kit program but it is a lot of work mapping it out to match the drum machine so that the midi data tranfers without being translated to a different drum kit setup.

There are ways with Kronos, just not the common preset selection of intros and fills. I wish there were for myself and i have often wondered if any of the drum sound packs selling out there ,include drum patterns with correlating sets of intros, fills and ending. Definitely try out making hybrid patterns. I was amazed at results i got in RPPR while layering drum patterns from very different musical genres.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A youtube video to get you started.

https://youtu.be/q7niy6vV6X0
dkalna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Thank you for great response. Video is helpful as well, but man, somebody should buy this guy a tripod for his camera... Smile

Any way, with RPPR went everything fine.

I own EZ Drummer Drum Packs, which are midi files. Is it possible to import it into Kronos and make user patterns out of them?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkalna wrote:
Hi there

Thank you for great response. Video is helpful as well, but man, somebody should buy this guy a tripod for his camera... Smile

Any way, with RPPR went everything fine.

I own EZ Drummer Drum Packs, which are midi files. Is it possible to import it into Kronos and make user patterns out of them?

Midi files do import into kronos and any midi in a track can be converted to a pattern up to 64 bars.
The main thing is to see if the midi file notes line up to the right samples in kromos drum kits.
Of course you can rearrange the sample set of a kronos drum kit if need be.

Try various drum kits first if any problems with midi notes lining up to the right samples, and don't forget to try GM drum programs if available.
Also if it is too much work to arrange new drum kits, the midi files can reside in kronos tracks and drive external drum kits on computer or drum machine.

Maybe you will have luck and your ez drum files will be lined up to match kronos drum kits.

using midi files. By Qui Robinez.
https://youtu.be/HxtdJ3vYSpU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: