Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practice Keyboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabasner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Practice Keyboard Reply with quote

Hi All,

I posted last week about my new Kronos 2 - 88, which I'm thrilled with. I am still a beginner, though, and am just very fortunate to be able to have the best keyboard there is to learn on!

My Kronos is upstairs, in what I call my music room. I am significantly disabled in my lower extremities, making the trip up the stairs something of a challenge. I'd like to have an additional keyboard that is portable, which I can practice on downstairs, when I don't have the energy or are in too much pain to make it upstairs. Does anyone have an opinion on a good, really CHEAP portable keyboard that would be good for practice, but small and light enough to move around easily? I am not particular on the number of keys (though I suppose, for the purposes of practicing keyboard basics, that there need to be enough keys to feel the 'expanse' similar to a full 88 keys), and not really particular about whether the keys are weighted or not. I don't know if it's worth considering that this practice keyboard be something that I could use in conjunction with the Kronos, or simply to use for practice. I have been researching on the internet, but the reviews haven't been much help to me.

Any thoughts on what keyboard to consider would be hugely appreciated!!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland and Yamaha make some smaller keyboards that might work out if you are looking for something that isn't just a controller. Want to spend more cash, I use a Roli Rise 25 key with my phone. I also travel with the Kory arp Odyssey it has an ice case but I dont know what you are looking for size wise. With a controller there are a fair few desk top synth options that are small and portable but even a controller with the current iPad iPhone apps is pretty nice!
cabasner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Roland and Yamaha make some smaller keyboards that might work out if you are looking for something that isn't just a controller. Want to spend more cash, I use a Roli Rise 25 key with my phone. I also travel with the Kory arp Odyssey it has an ice case but I dont know what you are looking for size wise. With a controller there are a fair few desk top synth options that are small and portable but even a controller with the current iPad iPhone apps is pretty nice!

Thank you. This is a start. I should have been clearer, in my initial post, that I don't want JUST a controller. Ideally, the board I get will be able to generate sound through included speakers, and have a headphone jack. Speakers or headphones either battery or AC/DC powered. I want to be able to hear what I'm doing, so I know if I'm making mistakes. For example, I want to know if I'm hitting the wrong keys while doing really fundamental things like cross-over and cross-under runs, so sound is really important. I'm thinking that 25 keys are probably too few to accomplish what I'd like to do.
JoeyL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 of these for exactly the reasons you gave. I give it high marks. Be sure you have a 12volt adapter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-ypg-235-76-key-portable-grand-piano
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alesis Coda Pro may fit the bill. It is light at 13kg, has decent action weighted 88 keys, built-in speakers, and at a small fraction of the price of the Kronos.

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Korg, 17Kg- 15.4lbs, If new is outside the price range check used. Sounds great light 61key has some great filters. Headphone jack, LR out. Keeps you in the Korg ecosystem but i don't know if that would actually help you at all.

These are nice vids on Orgs website and i think the black version looks great.
King Korg

Sorry not cheap 999$ new I have seen it as low as 500 used. Still maybe to high. Kronos takes a big bite when you buy it.

My kids have a 100$ PSR sounds fine and is more then capable of helping someone practice, but it isn't no Kronos.
cabasner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeyL wrote:
I have 2 of these for exactly the reasons you gave. I give it high marks. Be sure you have a 12volt adapter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-ypg-235-76-key-portable-grand-piano

Hi Joey, thanks for your suggestion. When I look at other options, it makes me think that the Yamaha FPG-235 would be a good choice at $250. The only issues I have with that board is that it is heavy (18 pounds) and because of all the really nice controls (that obviously give it more sounds than other similar boards), the board is deeper than I would like (over 16"). I have been leaning towards the Yamaha NP32 76-Key Piaggero Portable Keyboard, which, unfortunately, is more expensive ($279), and the AC/DC adapter is extra ($15.15), BUT the board is lighter, (less than 13 pounds) and much shallower in depth (10.1"). The dimensions and weight are more important than what appear to be a superior variety of sounds in the FPG-235. I expect that this board will end up sitting across a couple TV dinner stands in the family room, or perhaps even more likely on top of my comforter in bed, so size and weight are really significant parameters. I'm still not sure what I'm going to end up getting, but the NP32 is looking like a pretty likely choice! Ideally, an 88 key board would be great, but that adds size (and weight, AND expense!!) I had been prepared to live with 61 keys, but I think that is TOO Limiting...76 is okay. I don't know if I should look for an 88 key board... If I go that route, I'll be backpedaling on my stated goal of reasonably small, light and most of all, CHEAP!
Perilous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any lightweight inexpensive keyboard in all the land with built-in speakers that doesn't feel or sound like a toy?
I wish the price on the Roland RD-64 would come down a bit. That would make a swell practice keyboard in my mind.

When I don't want to fire up the big powered speakers and the Kronos, I turn to my new Kawai ES-110. In my opinion, it's the best option if you want 88-keys, built-in speakers, simplicity, good basic sounds, good action, and sits at the sweet spot of 26.5 lbs. Goes for $729 though.
cabasner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilous wrote:
Is there any lightweight inexpensive keyboard in all the land with built-in speakers that doesn't feel or sound like a toy?
I wish the price on the Roland RD-64 would come down a bit. That would make a swell practice keyboard in my mind.

When I don't want to fire up the big powered speakers and the Kronos, I turn to my new Kawai ES-110. In my opinion, it's the best option if you want 88-keys, built-in speakers, simplicity, good basic sounds, good action, and sits at the sweet spot of 26.5 lbs. Goes for $729 though.

Perilous,

Thanks for your thoughts. So, a few questions for you. I presume that you played a number of the less expensive portable keyboards before settling on the Kawai. If so, can you identify some or all of the boards you played? I know you mentioned the toy-like feel of these other inexpensive boards. What was it that made them feel that way? Was it just an overall feeling of solidity in the keys? Again, for MY purposes, the sound, for this particular use, takes a back seat to the 'feel'. I would like my 'practice board' to feel reasonably like a 'real' keyboard, even at the expense of the sound. I have a feeling, however, that the better feeling boards probably end up having better sound, though. Is that the case, in your mind? Was the Kawai the least expensive keyboard that met your criteria? And was your criteria similar, in any way, to mine, that is, the reason for a second keyboard in addition to your Kronos?

Thanks for the answers to the above.
bobmusic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend the Roland FP-30. Really good keybed in this price range and also good sounding and transportable.
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
Perilous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roland FP-30 does seem excellent. I do like Roland keyboards and might have gone with it except there's no 5-pin Midi Out. That, and there's the slight concern of the FP-30 being 5 pounds heavier than the Kawai.

While the key travel and the response of the ES-110 feels good, the action keys does feel solid. It's like they're hallow inside, but it doesn't bother me.
There's not a music store near me, so I have to buy-to-try or travel hundreds of miles. The only keyboards I've come in contact with are the Korg Concert C-303, Technics SX-PR51, Technics SX-PR903, Korg Kronos 88, Casio Privia PX-5S, and the Roland A-88.

Other smaller keyboards I've used are the Roland A-800 and A-300 Pro, Korg microKEY 37 and 61, Keith McMillen QuNexus (hopefully the K-Board Pro 4 and Roland RD-64 later this year), CME Xkey 37, Alesis Vortex Wireless, Roli Seaboard Grand Studio, Korg Kronos 61, Minimoog Voyager Performer.

I'd say go for something with built-in speakers so that you don't always have to be wearing headphones. Don't settle for anything less than 73 keys at the very least. You already have a Kronos 88, so if you want another keyboard just for practice, you might as well keep the cost below $500. If a Piano sound is the most important, then you need a sustain input jack and an action and feel that isn't too drastically different from the Kronos. Is there a keyboard like this? I don't know. Those Yamaha keyboards seem alright.
cabasner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's getting harder rather than easier, guys!!! Very Happy I'm not complaining at all, though, I appreciate all the experience I'm getting from you folks, I really do.

After playing with my Kronos today, I think I've kind of settled on the need for an 88 key board. Up until today, I was REALLY thinking that I didn't need 88, and I could probably live with 76, but it would probably be best to keep the same number of keys for 'practice', as I'm learning to appreciate the value of the entire range, especially in the lower end of the board. I happened to get a $200 gift card from the store where I bought my Kronos (B&H Photo Video [moderators, sorry if I violated any rules by mentioning this]), and was hoping to stay close to that very limited $$, but it's also becoming clearer that if I intend to get any real value out of an alternate board, the 'other' board needs to be at least reasonably close in feel to the Kronos. Of course, I don't expect to get something VERY close, after all, the Kronos is a flagship keyboard. The weight of the board is pretty important, though, lighter being better.

I'm still pondering, and anyone who still has some ideas for me, I'm still not close to making up my mind, yet!

Last edited by cabasner on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
cabasner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has already caught on to my plans. Last night, she said she hoped I wasn't going off the deep end and thinking about a $400 keyboard... Hmmmm, well, that kind of puts the squish on a number of the boards I've been pondering. Maybe I'll have to come at it from the 'I need a board with the best keyboard feel or it's not worth it' kind of angle. Not sure that will fly... Sad
tomto66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha DGX-660 - 88 weighted keys, semi-reasonable feel and sounds, built in speakers. It's still heavy though...
cabasner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has already caught on to my plans. Last night, she said she hoped I wasn't going off the deep end and thinking about a $400 keyboard... Hmmmm, well, that kind of puts the squish on a number of the boards I've been pondering. Maybe I'll have to come at it from the 'I need a board with the best keyboard feel or it's not worth it' kind of angle. Not sure that will fly... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: