Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos with MainStage and Omnisphere questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Kronos with MainStage and Omnisphere questions Reply with quote

I have owned my Kronos for a few months and I really love it. Dream to play!

I also use Omnisphere through MainStage on another keyboard, but I would love to go to a gig with just one keyboard... the Kronos and be able to play all those Omnisphere sounds integrated with the Kronos sounds. I have searched the net and can't find much help with this.

Is it possible to set up a combi with external controls from MainStage, using the sliders for a timbre, along side internal sounds? i would love to use some of Omnisphere's unique pads and arps, and then fade in a piano from the Kronos and play them all together without having to have multiple midi controllers or other external sliders. Would also like to set up different zones on the keyboard for both instruments. Then obviously, would like to create a set list where I can switch different patches... internal only, external only, or combined in one parch with either layers or splits.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and how to do it? Maybe post a video on You Tube with the instructions or point me to something? I've searched through the Kronos manual, with word searches but it's like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for your help!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos with MainStage and Omnisphere questions Reply with quote

JMO wrote:
I have owned my Kronos for a few months and I really love it. Dream to play!

I also use Omnisphere through MainStage on another keyboard, but I would love to go to a gig with just one keyboard... the Kronos and be able to play all those Omnisphere sounds integrated with the Kronos sounds. I have searched the net and can't find much help with this.

Is it possible to set up a combi with external controls from MainStage, using the sliders for a timbre, along side internal sounds? i would love to use some of Omnisphere's unique pads and arps, and then fade in a piano from the Kronos and play them all together without having to have multiple midi controllers or other external sliders. Would also like to set up different zones on the keyboard for both instruments. Then obviously, would like to create a set list where I can switch different patches... internal only, external only, or combined in one parch with either layers or splits.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and how to do it? Maybe post a video on You Tube with the instructions or point me to something? I've searched through the Kronos manual, with word searches but it's like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for your help!

I am also in that gear mix, Kronos, MS and Omnis 2. I just got the Spectrsonics stuff and new to MS.

I recently joined the Apple MainStage Keyboard Programming group on FB to help my learning curve.

If in combi or SEQ mode, I think you can pull in your VI's at the program/timbre level. Press INT and you will see EXT and EXT2.

It would be great if someone can explain or link basically USB interfacing the Kronos as an audio interface/mixer with MS and VI's
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you will need to do is set uo the kronos ext surface for mainstage.
that gives you 16 buttons, 8 encoders and 9 sliders.
1: you go to global and set up ext midi assign cc parameters kronos will transmit to mainstage.
2: you switch to ext mode when need to control external and then switch back to internal rt params or any other mode as required.

FWIW, I'd Recommend you give up on the Kronos native USB interface and get yourself a basic decent Audio Interface with Enough Inputs (4-6 minimum) and few outputs.

The Internal interface if Great for some quick stuff or 2 but making that part of your setup is just asking for frustration.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided the Korg MIDI drivers are installed first, the Kronos will appear as a MIDI interface that MainStage can be set up to recognise, so the Kronos can be used as a controller to play Omnisphere sounds. The Kronos has 128 slots for different MIDI setups. These slots are factory preloaded with a range of configurations, so there may be one that is suitable already in and there is certainly a preloaded setup for GarageBand. Check the KRONOS_ExtSetups pdf document, downloadable from the Korg website. The MIDI setup screens are in Global, MIDI, External 1 and External 2. Setups can be recalled using the drop-down marked External Mode Setup at top left of the External 1 and External 2 screens. In any case, the Kronos will trigger Omnisphere sounds without further specific setup, but if the Kronos control surface is required, then it will need to be mapped to suit your requirements.

An alternative solution is again to use the Kronos as a MIDI controller and for the audio from Kronos and computer to pass through an external multichannel mixer. That way, additional synths and instruments can be mixed in together with the Kronos and Omnisphere audio.

Yet another way involves using the Kronos as a MIDI controller and passing Omnisphere sounds from the computer into the Kronos audio ins, and using the Kronos as the master audio out. This has the advantage of being able to pass the incoming audio through Kronos effects, and can be used to reduce the processor load generated by Omnisphere's own effects.

It is worth trying a range of different setups to find what best suits your style.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: