Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How have the last year's OS updates changed your workflow?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: How have the last year's OS updates changed your workflow? Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.. Long time. Anyway, after a hiatus with the Electribes, and a lengthy love-affair with the Octatrack, I am on the hunt once again for an ES2. I'm excited to try out pattern-chains etc. and other developments that have happened while I was away.. How have these changed your workflow? Are you implementing the new features? Thanks. =)
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Sauce, good to have you back on board. Can't answer your questions as I have recently become a father for the first time and get very little time to myself now so I haven't explored the new features yet, although I have upgraded my E2S. I found your videos very helpful so looking forward to seeing what you can do with the E2S.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sauce,

tbh I rarely even use them. Not too crazy about pattern chain, I find it cumbersome in its implementation. Rarely use undo, because I save often. The tied notes change in the step edit mode (I forget if that was in the last or 2nd-to-last update) is confusing and makes it worse imo.

But I still use them (I have 2 electribe2 units) - one is still on 1.10 because I don't like all of the new updates.

The new electribes are what they are. You either love em or hate em.
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! I too moved on and got an MPC Touch (which believe me, is the answer to the prayers of most E2S users) but there is still something about the portability and immediacy of the electribe sampler that means I won't ever get rid of it and would probably buy it again.

Undo is a huge huge help, that's for sure.

Pattern chain is cumbersome as mentioned but it's great that it's in there. It is most useful for putting together a live performance where you plan to hang on one pattern A for 16-32 bars, muting and unmuting tracks or twisting knobs, then have it move to your section B pattern. Or another great use I've found is arranging drum parts for a song that I can play guitar and sing over live.

It's less useful if you're actually trying to compose and arrange a full song on the electribe because you're not able to record motion across multiple patterns. So you still have to write 8 bar ideas in sections of 4 instead of just being able to play them as your track progresses. If they updated it so record stayed on even when it went to the next track then I'd be happy calling that a full blown song mode.
Unruly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pattern chain is a huge improvement for me. Up until the chain, it was really hard to organize my sets. Especially because I usually use the tribe with a few other pieces of gear. But now with the chain, I feel like I can keep my songs and set organized. I basically have my whole set as one long chain. Couple benefits to this. I don't have to mess with the pattern select which takes my eyes off of other functions. And using the knob to advance patterns, at least for me, is really sketchy. Using the pattern chain also feels like it makes me more creative with my patterns. They can be short or long or I can use them one time or 16 times, it makes everything much more deliberate. Also it makes the drops better. I can see them coming from a couple patterns back, and so I start to prepare for them in advance. So yeah, I think it was a really great addition that really improve the machine
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!

Steeplemouth wrote:
.. I have recently become a father for the first time..

Congratulations. I love, love, looove having kids and now, grandkids. =)

gizmoismogwai wrote:
I too moved on and got an MPC Touch (which believe me, is the answer to the prayers of most E2S users

I'm really looking forward to the MPC Live.

Unruly wrote:
I think the pattern chain is a huge improvement for me.

I think so, too. I realize it's awkward -I can see that from the videos- but.. ..I have an idea, lol. I think I'll be getting one soon and I'll keep everyone posted. =)
mihata

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using the pattern chain as I improvise constantly over 1 bar in my setup. I imagine I would if I play only the E2, but the few times I tried, it's not very intuitive. On the other hand, I find the undo is great and I use it as variation tool - I record some crazy motion sequencing and then I undo it to go to the original state. I also find myself using the E2 less and less for melodic stuff as I have Circuit which is sequenced much more intuitively esp. with transposing on the go etc. Still E2 gives clock for everything, I sequence Volca FM and Microgranny with it, and I really enjoy making some crazy polyrhythms and modulating the short delay's time or using some of the more extreme Mfx like the limiter or distortion.

Cheers
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihata wrote:
I find the undo is great and I use it as variation tool - I record some crazy motion sequencing and then I undo it to go to the original state.

Great tip!
Neon Horn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sauce,

As far as workflow, the biggest change for me was the free sample editor available on this site. Now I can upload a ton of wave files in one go via my PC. I also like the fact that you can now easily add the 12db volume boost, which is often needed on my GB drum samples instead of having to do it on the machine, one sample at a time.

One cool improvement on the latest OS is how quickly samples are loaded from the SD card when firing up the unit.

Regarding song mode, I haven't really used the pattern chaning either. I generally do 1 pattern track with lots of live variations... so I can't speak to that. I only ever used the undo feature once, but it saved my bacon.

Cheers Sauce,
Mike
yann_

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon Horn wrote:
Hey Neon what sampler editor are you talking about?
Maybe a link...
Cheers Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: