Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an interesting offer from waves.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: an interesting offer from waves.com Reply with quote

http://refer.waves.com/e3IF_

https://twitter.com/walidmantar/status/831607195179507712

a coupon of 15%

-------------------

i'm happy today i've got the Renaissance Reverb from waves for 30$

for whom are interesting in this plug-in - their offer ends up after about 12hrs
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves have endless offers, which is how I have gotten the ones I want at bargain prices.

But then they try and sting you for $300 a year for maintenance after the first year has expired, which is ridiculous.

As I am happy with the plugs in of theirs I have as they are, I have elected to forgo the maintenance and future updates of the plugins until I need to. I.e. if I have to pay 300 bucks in five years time when I need to update, that is better than paying 300 bucks five times!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
wma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:

But then they try and sting you for $300 a year for maintenance after the first year has expired, which is ridiculous.

it's my first buy from them .. i was pointing on this plug-in but didn't get aware for updates .. so i will not be able to use the plugin after a year or not be able to update it?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WUP, as it is called, is actually not as unfair as some would like to pretend.
You get a perpetual right to use your plugin. You get any big release updates that come within your year (like when they went from version 7 to 8 or 8 to 9). You will ALWAYS get any point releases (like 9.15 to 9.16) even after your year is up. Mainly, you get phone and email support while your WUP is valid. After the year, you're "on your own" which isn't generally a problem what with Google and lots of forums, besides most of the time you don't need any support anyway. You can renew WUP, it maxes out at $250 a year I thought (though Derek said $300, maybe it changed), but that doesn't mean you will have to pay all that if you just have a few of their plugs. And whenever you upgrade a plug to a larger bundle (even with a new discount) your WUP is also reactivated for a year.

On the whole, I don't think it's a bad deal. It would be nicer if any software you bought was valid forever but when you think about it, it really isn't. You buy an update for Cubase, Sonar or Logic just the same. And if something really significant changes about plugin handling, the plugin company has to update their stuff too and they can't do it forever for free, that's all.

EDIT:
By the way, definitely buy through a third party retailer for an even better price! I use plugindiscounts.com but there's a bunch, jrrshop.com and dontcrack.com are also big I think.

And out of curiosity - which plug or set are you thinking about? I have a bunch (Horizon bundle) and some or really good while for some I prefer alternatives.
wma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks SanderXpander for clrification & links Smile
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not an interesting offer...it is a deception and also desperation.
This is the MOST uninteresting offer actually...they have WAY better offers
then this most of the times...and yes, i do own a lot of their plugins too.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
WUP, as it is called, is actually not as unfair as some would like to pretend.
You get a perpetual right to use your plugin. You get any big release updates that come within your year (like when they went from version 7 to 8 or 8 to 9). You will ALWAYS get any point releases (like 9.15 to 9.16) even after your year is up. Mainly, you get phone and email support while your WUP is valid. After the year, you're "on your own" which isn't generally a problem what with Google and lots of forums, besides most of the time you don't need any support anyway. You can renew WUP, it maxes out at $250 a year I thought (though Derek said $300, maybe it changed), but that doesn't mean you will have to pay all that if you just have a few of their plugs. And whenever you upgrade a plug to a larger bundle (even with a new discount) your WUP is also reactivated for a year.

On the whole, I don't think it's a bad deal. It would be nicer if any software you bought was valid forever but when you think about it, it really isn't. You buy an update for Cubase, Sonar or Logic just the same. And if something really significant changes about plugin handling, the plugin company has to update their stuff too and they can't do it forever for free, that's all.

EDIT:
By the way, definitely buy through a third party retailer for an even better price! I use plugindiscounts.com but there's a bunch, jrrshop.com and dontcrack.com are also big I think.

And out of curiosity - which plug or set are you thinking about? I have a bunch (Horizon bundle) and some or really good while for some I prefer alternatives.

WUP doesn't give you the perpetual license to use your plugins, that is part of the basic license. Perhaps I came across as a little harsh. I am quite happy with the Wave Plugins that I have. They are excellent, and by waiting for the right deal, I have had some absolute bargains, but I am not prepared to pay $300 a year for an update plan. There is no need so long as the current plugin versions I have run with no issues. And to be fair to Waves, it looks like you can instigate the update plan at any time with no penalty. I know companies (in my line of work) where if you want to reinstate support that you have to pay for the missing years as well.

You have a valid point about updates and paying for them, but for me it was the cost to pay and no guarantee of an update (possibly). I updated Cubase from 8 to 9 for £80. So Cubase is a lump of software far larger than the Wave Plugins I have, so $300 a year for an update plan does not feel good value compared to a one off £80 charge for a major release of Cubase. Value is in the eyes of the beholder of course, and some heavy users who have invested $1,000s in Waves plugins may find the $300 a year a bargain to keep their investment fresh.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say WUP gives you a perpetual license, I said you get a perpetual license for your plugins. This to make it clear that it is not like the much maligned "Adobe" model where you lose access to your software if you stop paying for the subscription.

I agree completely about the updating by the way, my WUP has expired and I have no problem at all with that. I may renew my WUP at some point if compatibility is broken but I'm hoping that won't be for a while yet and perhaps I'll upgrade to Mercury on a good deal when it happens. Although honestly although I have a large bundle, there are only maybe ten plugins I use reasonably often.

Last edited by SanderXpander on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I updated Cubase from 8 to 9 for £80. So Cubase is a lump of software far larger than the Wave Plugins I have, so $300 a year for an update plan does not feel good value compared to a one off £80 charge for a major release of Cubase. Value is in the eyes of the beholder of course, and some heavy users who have invested $1,000s in Waves plugins may find the $300 a year a bargain to keep their investment fresh.

The thing is with WUP waves can afford to give good support, usually within an hour in work time.

I am waiting for a reply from Steinberg for a support request for nearly a month now, so basically no support.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I've only needed them once but the issue was resolved within a few hours. Really good support.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:

I am waiting for a reply from Steinberg for a support request for nearly a month now, so basically no support.

Ah! I'm waiting for a reply for about 6 months now! It's not even for me, but for a local school with 20 Steinberg workstations. I'll let you know when I hear from them!

BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impressively bad!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a question then of whether or not you are prepared to pay $300 for that level of support. If you are then you and Waves are both happy Smile

Was too steep for me IMO. At $100 I probably would have paid it, but not at three times the cost. Just opinion of course, and opinions will undoubtedly vary. Very Happy

My Echoes Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like you said, you don't need to pay it every year to use your plugins.
wma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's good at the time that it's still at version 9.3, still too early for ver.10 to come up, and as others said it's not a necessary to upgrade, it was a good buy for me getting a good reverb i wanted before for cheap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: