Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg T1 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwarfenbike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Korg T1 questions Reply with quote

Hello! I have got down my Korg T-1 from the attic my ambition is to make it playable.

My obstacles
The PCM disk and Prog/seq disk is missing
The battery is dead

So my question is: the missing disks are they something extra you add to the synth or will its functionality going to be very compromised without them?

I have found a great guide for changing the battery, but he says to copy your factory settings to a floppy disk before doing that, is that going to be possible without the display working ( due to the battery being dead) ?

Any help is appreciated Very Happy
T3owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Korg T1 questions Reply with quote

The missing disks aren't serious obstacles. There are other issues to deal with first...

The battery prevents loss of RAM data. If the battery is truly dead, the data has been lost, so there's nothing to copy to disk. However, a dead battery doesn't affect operation of the display - in fact, the display will read "Battery Low".

Does the dsplay work, or not?

Can you play anything from the keyboard?
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

for the factory files you may have a look here:

http://www.sysexdb.com/synth_detail.aspx?dv=68

If the battery is really dead your user sounds are erased! So there's no need to save 'nothing'... Wink

After replacing the battery it's recommended to initialize the synth:

How to inititialize the T series keyboards: Korg T1 T2 T3:

WARNING – initalizing will erase ALL user and factory programs and combi’s. You’ll need to reload combi presets from disk or via MIDI after initializing.

To inititialize the T series keyboards: power up while holding the lower zero button and the combi button.

Global Volume – control of volume must be set per patch there is no overall contral

Now you can reload the factory sounds via MIDI - see the small info note for each file.

You need a proper MIDI interface (none of that 'El Cheapos'!) and a program that can handle .syx files - a good choice is MIDI-OX which is freeware...
sunriser111671

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can try my software to load the factory T1 sounds plus a whole lot more:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=104439
Dwarfenbike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks alot for the help! Well the display does not show anything but I have one piano sound with only two voices Very Happy
Ok good then I will change the battery now
T3owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarfenbike wrote:
Wow thanks alot for the help! Well the display does not show anything but I have one piano sound with only two voices Very Happy

If the display shows nothing, then try turning the LCD CONTRAST control on the rear panel. If that doesn't help, then either that control has been damaged or the LCD backlight isn't working. Replacing the battery won't fix the display.
Dwarfenbike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that sucks! The display just stopped working one day, not sure how it would have gotten damaged.

I couldnt even get the battery out! I cant really manage to loose the ribbon cables so im doing it in a strange angle
T3owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarfenbike wrote:
Ok that sucks! The display just stopped working one day, not sure how it would have gotten damaged.

Turn on the T1 power, try shining a bright light on the display, and turn the LCD CONTRAST control. If at some position of the control you can see something displayed, the LCD itself is OK, and the problem is with the backlight. Backlight failure isn't unusual.

There is information online about repairing the backlight or replacing the entire display.
Dwarfenbike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3owner wrote:
Dwarfenbike wrote:

If the display shows nothing, then try turning the LCD CONTRAST control on the rear panel. If that doesn't help, then either that control has been damaged or the LCD backlight isn't working. Replacing the battery won't fix the display.

That solved it! I´m embarrassed that I didn´t understand what you wrote until now Very Happy. The display works fine! Thank you very much!
Dwarfenbike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_crimson_thunder wrote:
Hi,

for the factory files you may have a look here:

http://www.sysexdb.com/synth_detail.aspx?dv=68

If the battery is really dead your user sounds are erased! So there's no need to save 'nothing'... Wink

After replacing the battery it's recommended to initialize the synth:

How to inititialize the T series keyboards: Korg T1 T2 T3:

WARNING – initalizing will erase ALL user and factory programs and combi’s. You’ll need to reload combi presets from disk or via MIDI after initializing.

To inititialize the T series keyboards: power up while holding the lower zero button and the combi button.

Global Volume – control of volume must be set per patch there is no overall contral

Now you can reload the factory sounds via MIDI - see the small info note for each file.

You need a proper MIDI interface (none of that 'El Cheapos'!) and a program that can handle .syx files - a good choice is MIDI-OX which is freeware...

Ok yes this is the problem I´m faced with now! I need to reload the factory sounds.
I´m connecting it via USB midi interface UM-ONE.
I start the synth while holding the lower zero and combo button and this message appears:
ERROR OUT -X-- > IN (no connect)
I might have installed the interface wrong but I have really read the instructions properly for that one, but I think the hardest part is to understand the T1.

Maybe it will be easier to just find an old computer and put the .syx files on a floppy disk and put it into the T1, would that work?
Dwarfenbike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunriser111671 wrote:
Or you can try my software to load the factory T1 sounds plus a whole lot more:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=104439

I´m on a mac computer unfortunately Smile
T3owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarfenbike wrote:
T3owner wrote:
Dwarfenbike wrote:

That solved it! I´m embarrassed that I didn´t understand what you wrote until now Very Happy. The display works fine! Thank you very much!

You're welcome!
T3owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how much misinformation is posted on the net.

Dwarfenbike wrote:
[...] I need to reload the factory sounds.
I´m connecting it via USB midi interface UM-ONE.
I start the synth while holding the lower zero and combo button and this message appears:
ERROR OUT -X-- > IN (no connect)

There are several self-check modes for the Korg T1/T2/T3 models. One of the modes is entered by holding down the lower row 0 (zero) plus COMBI buttons while powering up. That test mode checks MIDI function, and requires a MIDI cable be connected from MIDI-Out to MIDI-In. If there's no such connection, the error message you got will be displayed.

Dwarfenbike wrote:
I might have installed the interface wrong but I have really read the instructions properly for that one, but I think the hardest part is to understand the T1.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll email a file that you can load. It includes directions.

Dwarfenbike wrote:
Maybe it will be easier to just find an old computer and put the .syx files on a floppy disk and put it into the T1, would that work?

The T1 can't read a SysEx file from a floppy. You would need either an original disk, or a file image and software to create the disk. That's been covered here previously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: